Reload this Page >

I-864 Part 5 (Household Size) Query

I-864 Part 5 (Household Size) Query

Old Dec 7th 2012, 2:37 pm
In Anticipation

BibbyBear is an unknown quantity at this point
Question I-864 Part 5 (Household Size) Query

Hi all

Well, it's been a few months since I was last on here and a lot has happened since then....

Firstly, I am now a married woman, living over here in Massachusetts having had my K1 Visa approved

Secondly, I have procrastinated so much that I have only about a week until my Visa expires and need to get my AOS paperwork mailed off asap via Priority Mail..... tomorrow morning is when I'm taking a trip to the local USPS office to get it sent.

I am just doing my final print out of all the necessary forms (I-485, I-864, I-765, G-325A, I-131 & G-1145 plus continuations sheets as required) but have a couple of last minute queries I would be much happier getting your advice on before posting.

1. On Form I-864 (Affidavit of Support) Part 5 - I am slightly confused over the total number for household size as I'm not sure if I'm listing myself (the immigrant/UKC) twice?
21a - 1 (total number listed in line 10..... ME as the immigrant)
21b - 1 (my husband.... as the person completing the form/sponsor)
21c - 1 (if currently married, enter 1 for your spouse...... that's ME again?)
21h - 3 (add together all lines for total household size - a+b+c)
But there are only the two of us - my husband (USC/Sponsor) plus me (UKC/Principal Immigrant) so I am confused if 21c is perhaps referring to a spouse my husband had if I, as the principal immigrant, was NOT actually married to him but perhaps say, the child of his spouse????

Basically, if you could advise me if I have to enter 1 in 21c or not and if the answer 2 is all that should go in 21h?

2. Should I use paperclips/file separators when mailing the package along with a contents sheet for ease and clarification or do they prefer to just have everything loose?

As always, I know you will offer sound advice as you have always done with me over the last 12 months since we started the K1 Visa process.

Thank you!

Chrissy
Old Dec 7th 2012, 2:46 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 Part 5 (Household Size) Query

Originally Posted by BibbyBear
I have procrastinated so much that I have only about a week until my Visa expires and need to get my AOS paperwork mailed off asap via Priority Mail...
Just so you know, there is no requirement whatsoever that you apply for AOS prior to the expiry of the visa.

You are reading the form incorrectly. Note that 21b and 21c refer to people who are NOT being sponsored. 21c should be 0 (or just leave it blank) because you are, in fact, being sponsored.

21h Total = 2.

2. Should I use paperclips/file separators when mailing the package along with a contents sheet for ease and clarification or do they prefer to just have everything loose?
Either paper clips or bulldog clips will work.

Ian
Old Dec 7th 2012, 3:06 pm
In Anticipation

Thank you so much Ian...... you have clarified perfectly and I am really appreciative of your fast reply.

The form is now on its way to the printer

Chrissy
Old Dec 7th 2012, 3:42 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Your visa "expired" - was dead and done - when you got married. Are you by any chance referring to your I-94?
I have procrastinated so much that I have only about a week until my Visa expires and need to get my AOS paperwork mailed off ...
You do indeed fit into two categories, so follow the instruction and show yourself in only one (1) of them.
1. On Form I-864 (Affidavit of Support) Part 5 - I am slightly confused over the total number for household size as I'm not sure if I'm listing myself (the immigrant/UKC) twice?
21h - 3 (add together all lines for total household size - a+b+c)
But there are only the two of us - my husband (USC/Sponsor) plus me (UKC/Principal Immigrant) so I am confused if 21c is perhaps referring to a spouse my husband had if I, as the principal immigrant, was NOT actually married to him but perhaps say, the child of his spouse????
Appropriate size 'bulldog' clips are better than paper clips. Best is to 2-hole punch the top of the documents and hold everything together with an Acco fastener, but who wants to buy a box of 50 when they need only 1?
Regards, JEff
Old Dec 7th 2012, 3:53 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
You do indeed fit into two categories, so follow the instruction and show yourself in only one (1) of them.
That would be the specific instruction not to count anyone twice! Many people don't actually notice that part!

Ian
Old Dec 7th 2012, 10:55 pm
In Anticipation

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Your visa "expired" - was dead and done - when you got married. Are you by any chance referring to your I-94?

Appropriate size 'bulldog' clips are better than paper clips. Best is to 2-hole punch the top of the documents and hold everything together with an Acco fastener, but who wants to buy a box of 50 when they need only 1?

Regards, JEff
Yes, I do indeed mean the I-94 Jeff - sorry, my mistake (I'm just so used to referring to the whole process as "visa" when talking with friends and family). I should know better by now to ensure form names/numbers etc are accurate when posting in this forum to alleviate any misunderstanding or confusion - thank you for the correction

I was aware that the instructions clearly state not to include anyone more than once and this is why I was confused - logic told me not to include myself as my husband's spouse in 21c, but the more I looked at it, the more I started doubting my decision - this is where you guys are a fantastic font of knowledge and guidance - again, my sincere thanks for helping me clear my cotton wool head today

Ahh.... I already have paperclips so have opted to use them and have the package all ready to go to the post office tomorrow morning - I'm sure this will be acceptable

Thanks again Jeff