Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-864 Jointly-filed Tax Returns

I-864 Jointly-filed Tax Returns

Old Aug 20th 2017, 2:54 pm
UK->US

Katdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud of
Exclamation I-864 Jointly-filed Tax Returns

Hi all,

We're just preparing our I-864(s) for our interview at the US embassy on Thursday, having filed through DCF.

Our current plan is thus (all USCs):
  • Wife fills out I-864 as the petitioner sponsor.
  • Wife's Grandmother fills out I-864 as the joint sponsor.
  • Wife's Grandfather fills out I-864A as the household member for the joint sponsor.
We're pretty clear on the answers for the wife (although not 100% confident), we have some specific questions about the joint sponsor and household member forms.

The Joint Sponsor (grandmother) and Joint Sponsor's Household Member (grandfather) file taxes jointly, meaning that their individual incomes are not reported on the 1099 nor the IRS Tax Transcripts (of which we have both, in preparation).

How then, do we fill out the following portions?
  • 6.2 "Current Individual Annual Income"
  • -> (I-864A) 3.2 "Current Individual Annual Income"
  • 6.5 (Person 1 - Household Member - Grandfather) Current Income
  • 6.19a-c Previous 3 years Total Income

As stated, we have the transcripts and 1099s for the previous 3 years (and we intend to take these with us) but we have no way to split the income to a per-person basis.

Our current plan is to leave 6.2/3.2 and 6.5 blank, but neither of us really like that option... The only alternative is to put the total number for all of these, but again, that seems like a poor option (and the math would just look wrong...)

Any help appreciated!
Old Aug 20th 2017, 3:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 Jointly-filed Tax Returns

Does the Grandmother actually need the Grandfather's income in order to qualify financially? She does not qualify alone? If she qualifies alone, you don't need Grandfather's I-864A at all, which makes things a lot easier.

If Grandfather's income IS needed, then answer all questions at face value. If it asks for individual income, that's what you list (regardless of the total on the tax return). If it asks for income as shown on a line on the tax return, that's what you list, regardless of whether that's shown as individual or joint.

Then, on a separate sheet of paper, explain the individual incomes and sources, just as you did above. The 1099s will be the backup to that explanation.

Rene
Old Aug 20th 2017, 6:46 pm
UK->US

Katdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Does the Grandmother actually need the Grandfather's income in order to qualify financially? She does not qualify alone? If she qualifies alone, you don't need Grandfather's I-864A at all, which makes things a lot easier.

If Grandfather's income IS needed, then answer all questions at face value. If it asks for individual income, that's what you list (regardless of the total on the tax return). If it asks for income as shown on a line on the tax return, that's what you list, regardless of whether that's shown as individual or joint.

Then, on a separate sheet of paper, explain the individual incomes and sources, just as you did above. The 1099s will be the backup to that explanation.

Rene
Hey, thanks for the help. We do need the grandfather's help to qualify.

We've opted to list the total annual income (pre-deductions) for both of them, and as you say, just answered the specific tax return questions at face value (e.g. reporting the Total Income as specified).

We calculated the total annual income (separated) by summing the 1099 information from the tax transcripts. As they are both retired, and these values have stayed very closely the same for the last 3 years we think this is a valid representation of their expected annual income.

Our appointment is this Thurs, so we'll update this thread if we have any problems! (fingers crossed!)
Old Aug 20th 2017, 7:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a good plan to me!

Rene
Old Aug 31st 2017, 1:52 pm
UK->US

Just wanted to update this post in case anyone was searching.

The interview went smoothly and our visa was approved.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 2:05 pm

Congratulations!

Rene