Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-864 income requirement question...

I-864 income requirement question...

Old Jan 2nd 2009, 9:21 am
Just Joined

uk123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-864 income requirement question...

Hi
Just a quick question. I've got my interview next week in London and my wife is the sponsor for my I-864. We're now getting a little nervous about her income because in 2006 her income was less than the poverty line.
These are the figures that we're submitting:
Current income - $44,000
2007 - $75,000
2006 - $4,000
2005 - $23,000

Is the low income of 2006 going to stuff our interview and make us need a second sponsor?

Many thanks
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 10:19 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I-864 income requirement question...

I shouldn't think one low year would make that much difference, if everything else was OK, but I may be wrong.

Necessary questions are:
Where is your wife living now?
What's the source of her income?
Will that income continue, from the same source, when you move to the USA?
How many in your family (including kids)?
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 11:06 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

They are supposed to go by her *current* income. If she currently earns US income, above the poverty level for a household of your size, my opinion is that you should be fine.

Rene
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 11:46 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If there is a reason why your wife only earned $4,000 that year, include the written explanation along with the tax return, i.e. she was in school, sick, took unpaid leave, etc.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 1:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk123
We're now getting a little nervous about her income because in 2006 her income was less than the poverty line.
You (and many others) are confusing two *separate* and *distinct* requirements. One obligation is to demonstrate 125% of the poverty level. The other obligation is to show the prior 3 years of tax returns. There is *nothing* that says you need 125% of the poverty level for the prior 3 years.

Ian
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 9:16 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

UK,

I like Rete's reply the best. There's more to it than just the numbers.

It's current income that counts, as the others pointed out, but sustainability of the current income is also an issue. So what's the reason for the erratic income history (which seems to be trending downward again) ?

Not that you telling us is going to help us guess what the case officer is going to think about the information.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by uk123
Hi
Just a quick question. I've got my interview next week in London and my wife is the sponsor for my I-864. We're now getting a little nervous about her income because in 2006 her income was less than the poverty line.
These are the figures that we're submitting:
Current income - $44,000
2007 - $75,000
2006 - $4,000
2005 - $23,000

Is the low income of 2006 going to stuff our interview and make us need a second sponsor?

Many thanks