Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Which I-864, co-sponsor

Which I-864, co-sponsor

Old Mar 24th 2013, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

tanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nice
Default Which I-864, co-sponsor

Sorry about what I'm sure is a silly question - my brain is buzzing with form numbers, so just wanted an 'easy' answer.

My husband now lives with his sister who is our co-sponsor, should she fill out an I-864 or I-864A?
Old Mar 24th 2013, 3:18 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which I-864, co-sponsor

The word "co-sponsor" is ambiguous and does not allow for an answer to your question.

If his sister will be his joint sponsor then she fills out I-864.
If his sister will be his household member then they jointly fill out I-864A.

Read the instructions for both forms to determine which approach is most appropriate for the situation.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by tanith
My husband now lives with his sister who is our co-sponsor, should she fill out an I-864 or I-864A?
Old Mar 24th 2013, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

tanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nice

I've read through the forms again and discussed with Chris, we think I-864 is the way to go.

The basic situation is that he was unemployed most of the last year before moving South to live with his sister. She declared him as a dependant on last years tax return (2012) for a part of the year. He now has a job where he would make above the poverty line but has been officially taken on as a seasonal employee. So given that we cannot prove his continuing ability to 'support me' - we thought that having a 'co-sponsor' would be prudent.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 8:29 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... we thought that having a 'co-sponsor' would be prudent.
There is no such thing as a "co-sponsor". You keep using the word and there is no such word where US immigration is concerned. There is a "sponsor" and there is a "joint sponsor". There is nothing else. If his sister is providing the financial resources for your visa, she is a joint sponsor. The sister must file an I-864. Your husband, as the USC sponsor, must also file an I-864. Since your husband is living with her, she must demonstrate sufficient income to cover 3 people: her, your husband, and you.

Ian
Old Mar 24th 2013, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Ok, thank you
Old Mar 26th 2013, 2:50 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes there is something else. There is a [contributing] household member. Hence the ambiguity of the term "co-sponsor" and the reason for a form I-864A.

OP's husband needs to determine if his sister is a joint sponsor or a household member.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
There is no such thing as a "co-sponsor". You keep using the word and there is no such word where US immigration is concerned. There is a "sponsor" and there is a "joint sponsor". There is nothing else.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 2:54 am

Did you see the word "co-sponsor" on the forms? Or in the instructions?

Unfortunately, you may have seen the work "co-sponsor in the instructions, but mostly you saw the terms "joint sponsor" and "household member". Your husband's sister can be one or the other, but not both.

Regards, JEff

I've read through the forms again ... we thought that having a 'co-sponsor' would be prudent.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

The word co-sponsor is used almost exclusively on another forum that I frequent - I guess it stuck in my head, like using the brand name Dyson when you actually mean vacuum cleaner.

Chris' sister makes more than the guidelines for 3 people, so not a problem there.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Yes there is something else. There is a [contributing] household member.
A contributing household member is neither a sponsor nor a joint sponsor. Ergo, where the word "sponsor" is concerned, there's nothing else.

Ian
Old Mar 26th 2013, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

The word co-sponsor is used almost exclusively on another forum that I frequent...
They're wrong, and you should feel free to tell them so!

Ian
Old Mar 26th 2013, 2:59 pm

Well, that explains your confusion.

Just out of curiosity, do you like being confused?

Regards, JEff

The word co-sponsor is used almost exclusively on another forum that I frequent - I guess it stuck in my head, like using the brand name Dyson when you actually mean vacuum cleaner.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 3:03 pm

True if your going to limit the discussion to the word 'sponsor', but when the issue is coming up with sufficient financial resources to support an immigrant, the household members of a sponsor or of a joint sponsor can contribute as well.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
A contributing household member is neither a sponsor nor a joint sponsor. Ergo, where the word "sponsor" is concerned, there's nothing else.

Ian
Old Mar 26th 2013, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
True if your going to limit the discussion to the word 'sponsor'...

... when the issue is coming up with sufficient financial resources to support an immigrant, the household members of a sponsor or of a joint sponsor can contribute as well.
Yes, I agree!

Ian