Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-864 Affidavit of Support questions - IR1 Visa

I-864 Affidavit of Support questions - IR1 Visa

Old Sep 20th 2012, 2:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 Affidavit of Support questions - IR1 Visa

Originally Posted by hetta54
Thanks!

Rene, so if they think my mom does not make enough money to support my spouse (even though she meets the minimum) would they ask for a different sponsor or just ask for more information from my mom
Yes. Could be either one.

Rene
Old Sep 20th 2012, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

hetta54 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for replying!

One more question about the affidavit of support for the I-130 petition/immigrant visa in London, UK (Spouse Visa)

My spouse has already filled out everything mailed in the DS230 forms and DS2001 and the affidavit of support is completed and was wondering if we send the affidavit to the NVC, which is listed on the website?

What is the overall process for this form?
Old Sep 20th 2012, 8:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for replying!

One more question about the affidavit of support for the I-130 petition/immigrant visa in London, UK (Spouse Visa)

My spouse has already filled out everything mailed in the DS230 forms and DS2001 and the affidavit of support is completed and was wondering if we send the affidavit to the NVC, which is listed on the website?

If the I-130 was filed in the USA, then the I-864 gets sent to NVC when NVC requests it.

If the I-130 was filed in London, then the I-864 goes with the visa applicant to the in-person visa interview.

Rene
Old Sep 20th 2012, 8:55 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Probably not. Your spouse's use of DS-2001 indicates that he is submitting his visa application directly to the consulate, not to the NVC. The same will be true for the I-864, which he will take with him to his interview the same as he will take all of the other documentation for the visa application.
My spouse has already filled out everything mailed in the DS230 forms and DS2001 and the affidavit of support is completed and was wondering if we send the affidavit to the NVC,
There is no "the" web site, there are millions of web sites. Which one are you referring to?
which is listed on the website?
The overall process is that the consular officer will review the I-864 and its supporting documents while your husband is waiting to be called to a window for his visa interview, and will decide whether or not he meets the public charge requirements for being granted an immigrant visa.
Regards, JEff
Old Sep 20th 2012, 8:57 pm

My spouse has already filled out everything mailed in the DS230 forms and DS2001 ...
Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Probably not. Your spouse's use of DS-2001 indicates that he is submitting his visa application directly to the consulate, not to the NVC.
See, I was thinking her spouse mailed the DS230 and DS2001 to NVC.

Rene
Old Sep 20th 2012, 9:02 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

DS-2001 isn't used when the visa application is submitted via the NVC. The visa applicant does not tell the NVC when they're ready to interview, the NVC tells the visa applicant if they are ready or not.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Noorah101
See, I was thinking her spouse mailed the DS230 and DS2001 to NVC.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
DS-2001 isn't used when the visa application is submitted via the NVC. The visa applicant does not tell the NVC when they're ready to interview, the NVC tells the visa applicant if they are ready or not.

Regards, JEff
Ah, that clears it up. Thanks!

Rene