Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-864 Affidavit of Support Question

I-864 Affidavit of Support Question

Old Mar 15th 2001, 2:00 am
Lisa & Erik

Hello all,

Hopefully someone out there in newsgroup land will be able to point us in the right
direction. We married last month after I received my K1 (at long last!) on 05-FEB-01.
My (then) fiancee (USC) had spent the best part of 2000 over in the UK with me, and
had only a part-time job back in Florida (where she maintained a residence). She had
sold a property the previous year (99) and made a reasonable amount of profit from
that sale and lived off that whilst on her "sabbatical" over in the UK.

Okay - there's the background, here's the question: once I'd arrived in the US, we
were married at the courthouse so we would be able to file for the AOS right away. I
did not receive a EAD upon arrival in Orlando (got fingerprinted and given the blank
I-765) and was told to send that off to TSC (ha!) for the temporary EAD. We're on the
verge of filing for AOS right now, but there is one sticking point - as we have just
moved, my wife does not have permanent employment at this point. As far as we can
tell from the I-864, she MUST have full-time work. My K1 expires 05-MAY-01 and we
have to file for AOS prior to that. We didn't know the EAD would not be granted and
have been planning our REAL wedding for May 11th. We've got family coming in from 8
different countries and quite a bit of money already invested in the wedding. She was
going to maintain part time temporary work for an agency up until the wedding and
honeymoon. After that, go back to full time employment as planning the wedding is a
full time job right now. It doesn't seem to meet the minimum support requirements
from what we can tell and were wondering if anyone else has found themselves in the
same predicament and has come up with a solution?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Erik & Lisa

Old Mar 15th 2001, 2:08 am
Grinch

>
were
    >
    >
    >
    >

A co-sponsor appears to be the best solution for the initial filing. you should be
able to replace that at the interview point for one of your own if you meet the
requirements later.

Grinch