I-864 Affidavit of Support Question

Wikiposts

I-864 Affidavit of Support Question

Old Feb 16th 2003, 11:28 am
Den Murray

Default I-864 Affidavit of Support Question

Hi Group

It's been a while since I posted last. My wife (USC) is getting ready to
complete a I-864 Affidavit of Support for me.

The instructions say "In order to complete this form you must submit the
following evidence of income: A copy of your complete Federal income tax
return, as filed with the Internal Revenue Service, for each of the most
recent 3 tax years."

We know that she can use IRS tax transcripts. But as she hasn't filed her
2002 taxes yet (and can't do it yet either), will 1999, 2000 & 2001 be okay,
or, do we have to wait until she can file her 2002 taxes?

Her earnings are well above the 125% of poverty level cutoff, and she has
has worked for the same employer for six years.

TIA

Den

Old Feb 16th 2003, 1:08 pm
Radu G. Sofronici

Default Re: I-864 Affidavit of Support Question

Den,

The 2002 taxes are not due until Apr. 15, 2003 and you can always request
an extension on filing, so your wife does not have to submit the returns for
2002 with the I-864.

"Den Murray" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Group
    > It's been a while since I posted last. My wife (USC) is getting ready to
    > complete a I-864 Affidavit of Support for me.
    > The instructions say "In order to complete this form you must submit the
    > following evidence of income: A copy of your complete Federal income tax
    > return, as filed with the Internal Revenue Service, for each of the most
    > recent 3 tax years."
    > We know that she can use IRS tax transcripts. But as she hasn't filed her
    > 2002 taxes yet (and can't do it yet either), will 1999, 2000 & 2001 be
okay,
    > or, do we have to wait until she can file her 2002 taxes?
    > Her earnings are well above the 125% of poverty level cutoff, and she has
    > has worked for the same employer for six years.
    > TIA
    > Den

Old Feb 16th 2003, 7:37 pm
English Bob

99,00,01 are fine, I filed one last week with those years.

--
Craig J Hadfield - Fresno, California.

Old Feb 17th 2003, 12:15 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Den Murray
It's been a while since I posted last. My wife (USC) is getting ready to complete a I-864 Affidavit of Support for me.

The instructions say "In order to complete this form you must submit the following evidence of income: A copy of your complete Federal income tax return, as filed with the Internal Revenue Service, for each of the most recent 3 tax years."

We know that she can use IRS tax transcripts. ...
I got tax transcripts for our I-134, and they don't seem to be copies of "complete federal income tax returns" at all, as they don't include W-2s.

So while the tax transcript is ok for the I-134, I was under the impression that the tax transcript is NOT sufficient for the I-864 -- am I mistaken about this??

~ Jenney
Old Feb 17th 2003, 6:46 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jenney & Mark
I got tax transcripts for our I-134, and they don't seem to be copies of "complete federal income tax returns" at all, as they don't include W-2s.

So while the tax transcript is ok for the I-134, I was under the impression that the tax transcript is NOT sufficient for the I-864 -- am I mistaken about this??

~ Jenney
W-2s are not required for the I-864 unless a sponsor or co-sponsor filed jointly and is using only their own income. "Complete federal income tax returns" does not necessarily mean "the form plus all the attachments".

The tax transcript provided by the IRS is neat, tidy and complete for INS purposes. We used transcripts for our successful adjustment.
Old Feb 17th 2003, 10:09 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by meauxna
W-2s are not required for the I-864 unless a sponsor or co-sponsor filed jointly and is using only their own income. "Complete federal income tax returns" does not necessarily mean "the form plus all the attachments".

The tax transcript provided by the IRS is neat, tidy and complete for INS purposes. We used transcripts for our successful adjustment.
Thanks for this clarification, Meauxna. In my case, my 1999 and 2000 were joint filings, so that's probably why I got it lodged in my brain that W-2s were required across the board. Too bad, because I'd much rather use the tax transcripts!!

~ Jenney
Old Feb 17th 2003, 11:31 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jenney & Mark
Thanks for this clarification, Meauxna. In my case, my 1999 and 2000 were joint filings, so that's probably why I got it lodged in my brain that W-2s were required across the board. Too bad, because I'd much rather use the tax transcripts!!

~ Jenney
You can still use transcripts (instead of 'original' hardcopy 1040s) and supply your w2s to split out your individual income (for the I-864).