Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

CONFUSED AGAIN! (K3 and EAD and AOS)

CONFUSED AGAIN! (K3 and EAD and AOS)

Old Feb 17th 2003, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

claudia13839 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CONFUSED AGAIN! (K3 and EAD and AOS)

I was reading through www.k1faq.com, and came up wih a few questions to ask you guys.

I thought that the ONLY way a K3er could get an EAD and AOS is by applying at the Chicago Address.

Then I read on the website that we can apply for EAD and AOS at our local INS office in person and maybe even get an EAD the same day! I live in New York, would this be possible?

I know that the EAD and AOS don't need to be filed at the same time!! But WHERE do I send the forms considering that my husband will be a here on a K3er?

Do I send for the EAD to the Chicago address, to Vermont Service Center or do I go to the local INS office in person?

The same question goes for the AOS papers...VSC, Chicago or INS local office!!

What is the fastest way?

~Claudia
Old Feb 17th 2003, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

xiomi is an unknown quantity at this point

I've looked into this here at TSC. Yes, you can go to your local INS office and submi I-765 and you can actually get the work auth stamp sooner than sending it to MSC. AOS goes to your local office anyway.

I got this information from an INS officer here at TSC.

Hope this helps. It's nice to know you don't have to deal with MSC again!!!

Good luck!

Xiomi
Old Feb 17th 2003, 6:34 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Think it may well depend on WHAT local INS office-ATL is mine and they have posted on one of those websites that it's 60-90 days....I think that was thru one of the websites Rete so kindly includes in her signature, the one that has POEs etc.
Old Feb 17th 2003, 6:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CONFUSED AGAIN! (K3 and EAD and AOS)

If he is going to apply for AOS immediately, then I believe he can file for both the AOS and the EAD at the NYC INS office. Unfortunately, it has to be mailed in and the wait time is 90 days or better. However, on the 91st day of the receipt you will receive he can walk in and get the EAD with his proof of filing.

Nothing is to go to the Vermont Service Center. That is only for those people living in the Baltimore INS office jurisdiction.

If he is not going to file for AOS immediately, I believe he is to file at the Chicago address that you mailed the I-129F to originally.

Unfortunately, you live in an area where there is nothing fast about INS. Welcome to the wonderful world of NYC INS.

Rete

Originally posted by claudia13839
I was reading through www.k1faq.com, and came up wih a few questions to ask you guys.

I thought that the ONLY way a K3er could get an EAD and AOS is by applying at the Chicago Address.

Then I read on the website that we can apply for EAD and AOS at our local INS office in person and maybe even get an EAD the same day! I live in New York, would this be possible?

I know that the EAD and AOS don't need to be filed at the same time!! But WHERE do I send the forms considering that my husband will be a here on a K3er?

Do I send for the EAD to the Chicago address, to Vermont Service Center or do I go to the local INS office in person?

The same question goes for the AOS papers...VSC, Chicago or INS local office!!

What is the fastest way?

~Claudia
Old Feb 17th 2003, 7:05 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by claudia13839
I was reading through www.k1faq.com, and came up wih a few questions to ask you guys.<snip>
~Claudia
Claudia & Rete, I don't know the answer to your questions, but did notice that the website you visited has not been updated since 2001. The updated site is located at http://www.txdirect.net/users/mike38/k1faq.htm

Now, I know there was some reason around this hosting/updating/domain reg deal, which I'm not trying to provoke, but it does make sense to me to circulate the most current info.

Happy P-Day, all
Old Feb 17th 2003, 9:57 pm
Niraj Agarwalla

claudia13839 wrote in message news:...

> I was reading through www.k1faq.com, and came up wih a few
    > questions to ask you guys.
    >
    > I thought that the ONLY way a K3er could get an EAD and AOS is by
    > applying at the Chicago Address.

Only if you have not filed for AOS. You can file for EAD at the
same time you file for AOS. If not, only then you have to go through
the Chicago office.

> Then I read on the website that we can apply for EAD and AOS at our
    > local INS office in person and maybe even get an EAD the same day! I
    > live in New York, would this be possible?

I would check with http://www.immigrationlinks.com for the latest
processing time for the office nearest you.

> I know that the EAD and AOS don't need to be filed at the same time!!
    > But WHERE do I send the forms considering that my husband will be a here
    > on a K3er?

I refer to above.

> Do I send for the EAD to the Chicago address, to Vermont Service Center
    > or do I go to the local INS office in person?

I would go to the INS web site and look at the local INS office
filing procedures, some require you apply in person, or you have to
mail it in.

> The same question goes for the AOS papers...VSC, Chicago or INS
    > local office!!

All AOS is filed with local INS office.
    >
    > What is the fastest way?

The sooner you file the AOS, the better, and faster your husband can
start working.

>
    > ~Claudia

Niraj Agarwalla

Old Feb 18th 2003, 12:04 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by meauxna
Claudia & Rete, I don't know the answer to your questions, but did notice that the website you visited has not been updated since 2001. The updated site is located at http://www.txdirect.net/users/mike38/k1faq.htm

Now, I know there was some reason around this hosting/updating/domain reg deal, which I'm not trying to provoke, but it does make sense to me to circulate the most current info.

Happy P-Day, all
Yes the only updated one is the txdirect.net site which should follow my signature. I never caught the error in the OP's posting or my signature. It appears I picked up an old one when I re-instated my signature lines. Thanks for the catch.

Rete