I-751 tricky situation....help needed

Wikiposts

I-751 tricky situation....help needed

Old Jul 9th 2007, 5:49 am
Just Joined

i751_frustated is an unknown quantity at this point
Post I-751 tricky situation....help needed

Hello All,

I have filed Joint I-751 in last May at NSC. We were having some issues in our marriage life before that too and we tried to work it out but it looked like its not working and now my wife has moved out of the apartment we were living and I am gonna move soon too. I have done my Biometrics and i also got my one year extension.
Now problem is: If I am gonna have to change the address, I know I will have to fill out AR-11 but my wife, she does not want to fill out I-865. Is that going to be a problem for my I-751?
Old Jul 9th 2007, 5:52 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-751 tricky situation....help needed

Originally Posted by i751_frustated
Now problem is: If I am gonna have to change the address, I know I will have to fill out AR-11 but my wife, she does not want to fill out I-865. Is that going to be a problem for my I-751?
I doubt it. It's her obligation to fill out the I-865. As long as you do your part by filing the AR-11, you should be fine.

Rene
Old Jul 9th 2007, 7:12 am
Just Joined

Post Re: I-751 tricky situation....help needed

Thank you for the reply Rene,

So I should just go ahead and fill out the AR-11 once I move. Will they ask me to have her fill out I-865 too? Or what will happen to the application??
I am not sure to get the divorce at the moment. So what do you think is the next step for me?
Old Jul 9th 2007, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

fahad will become famous soon enoughfahad will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I doubt it. It's her obligation to fill out the I-865. As long as you do your part by filing the AR-11, you should be fine.

Rene
Rene,

I filed Joint I-751 in March and had my biometrics done in April. Now we are moving to a different location but still in NY. Do we have to file a separate form or we can just call them and say that we have changed our address?
Plz respond
Thanks
Old Jul 9th 2007, 7:39 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fahad
Rene,

I filed Joint I-751 in March and had my biometrics done in April. Now we are moving to a different location but still in NY. Do we have to file a separate form or we can just call them and say that we have changed our address?
Plz respond
Thanks
Fahad,

You will need to file an AR-11 within 10 days of moving. The sponsor(s) should file an I-865 also. Of course notify USPS of your forwarding address.

It's not clear whether the AR-11 changes your address with USCIS or not. To be on the safe side, also call the 800 number and report your change of address. Another safe side thing to do is to notify your service center in writing of the address change. Not sure if you have to notify the local office for the I-751 or not.

Rene
Old Jul 9th 2007, 7:42 am

So I should just go ahead and fill out the AR-11 once I move.
Yes, within 10 days of moving.

Will they ask me to have her fill out I-865 too?
I doubt it.

Or what will happen to the application??
You mean the I-751? Nothing will happen to it. It will be processed as usual.

I am not sure to get the divorce at the moment. So what do you think is the next step for me?
Regarding changing your address, see my post to Fahad above. You should do the same things. Regarding the I-751, your next step is to wait for either a notice to appear for an interview, or for an approval on your 10-year card. You can't file a new I-751 with a waiver, because you're not divorced yet. If you get approved before you get divorced, I guess you don't have to worry about anything anymore.

Rene

Rene
Old Jul 9th 2007, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

wildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to all

Try doing it online. That way you will have a record and proof that you reported the change.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

lulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wildestkabs
Try doing it online. That way you will have a record and proof that you reported the change.
yes, that's exactly what I did - great to have the 'proof' for one's own records....
Old Jul 9th 2007, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Post Re: I-751 tricky situation....help needed

Thank you guys,

So I should just worry about my AR-11 not her I-865 right? And changing the address should not affect anything on my application.
So once I moved and change the address through AR-11...I should get the interview letter/greencard on my new address??
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:17 am

So once I moved and change the address through AR-11...I should get the interview letter/greencard on my new address??
Hopefully, if your address change went through correctly. If not, hopefully USPS will forward that item to you.

Rene
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

wildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to all

So I should just worry about my AR-11 not her I-865 right? And changing the address should not affect anything on my application. So once I moved and change the address through AR-11...I should get the interview letter/greencard on my new address??
Ok hold on. STOP.

Filing the AR-11 will *not* change your address for purposes of the I-751. So if you just do the AR-11 online, you might still get all the I-751 correspondence at the earlier address.

There is a separate section online which you have to fill out and submit to change the address for the petition itself. Its been a while since I did it, but once you are done with the online AR-11, you will have the option to change your address for the petition correspondence. Make sure you print out both the confirms.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

lulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud of

Ok hold on. STOP.

Filing the AR-11 will *not* change your address for purposes of the I-751. So if you just do the AR-11 online, you might still get all the I-751 correspondence at the earlier address.

There is a separate section online which you have to fill out and submit to change the address for the petition itself. Its been a while since I did it, but once you are done with the online AR-11, you will have the option to change your address for the petition correspondence. Make sure you print out both the confirms.
er - PLEAse clarify this...whaddya mean?!?!??! I filled out the AR-11 and printed it out...now are you sayign in ADDITION to puttign my new address on the soon to be filled I-751 there is also ANOTHER form I need to file...I need my new greencard (if I get one!) to come to my CURRENT address.....
Old Jul 9th 2007, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lulu204
are you sayign in ADDITION to puttign my new address on the soon to be filled I-751 there is also ANOTHER form I need to file...I need my new greencard (if I get one!) to come to my CURRENT address.....
I am looking at *TWO* print outs - first one says "your form AR-11 electronic confirmation number is XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

Below that it says -

=================

Next Step

The form AR-11 you have just completed has not updated your address on any pending applications or petitions, but you can do that now.

Do you have any applications or petitions pending with USCIS (followed by the options "yes" or "no")?

So obviously, you click on "yes".

================

l am also looking at the second printout which says - your online change of address electronic confirmation number for your form I-751 is XXXXXXXXXXXXXCSC.

===============

Note that the two confirmation #s are different.

USCIS then sent me a notification in the mail (I am looking at it right now) which confirms that they have the updated address on record *for the I-751*.

So the short answer to your question would be - yes.

Don't get confused. These are two separate processes and both must be done. If you simply update your address using the AR-11 and then move without taking care of the second process, you might miss your interview (if you are scheduled for one), and then find yourself coming back here and asking why you are in removal proceedings when you had updated your address using the AR-11.

Last edited by wildestkabs; Jul 9th 2007 at 12:35 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

I am looking at *TWO* print outs - first one says "your form AR-11 electronic confirmation number is XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

Below that it says -

=================

Next Step

The form AR-11 you have just completed has not updated your address on any pending applications or petitions, but you can do that now.

Do you have any applications or petitions pending with USCIS (followed by the options "yes" or "no")?

So obviously, you click on "yes".

================

l am also looking at the second printout which says - your online change of address electronic confirmation number for your form I-751 is XXXXXXXXXXXXXCSC.

===============

Note that the two confirmation #s are different.

USCIS then sent me a notification in the mail (I am looking at it right now) which confirms that they have the updated address on record *for the I-751*.

So the short answer to your question would be - yes.

Don't get confused. These are two separate processes and both must be done. If you simply update your address using the AR-11 and then move without taking care of the second process, you might miss your interview (if you are scheduled for one), and then find yourself coming back here and asking why you are in removal proceedings when you had updated your address using the AR-11.
i get what you're saying but I dont have an application PENDING....I haven't filed anything yet....If I filed something (such as my I-751) and THEN moved, then YES, I would fill out the second part of that notice...but I will be putting my new, current address on the I-751 application anyway, so any notice to appear for an interview would surely come to me?
Old Jul 9th 2007, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lulu204
i get what you're saying but I dont have an application PENDING....I haven't filed anything yet....If I filed something (such as my I-751) and THEN moved, then YES, I would fill out the second part of that notice...but I will be putting my new, current address on the I-751 application anyway, so any notice to appear for an interview would surely come to me?
Hi, I didn't realize that your I-751 hadn't been filed yet.

Now follow me here - Whenever you move, you will file the AR-11. That would not update the address for your I-751. But when you do file the I-751, you will file it with the new address. Now in that case, *most probably* you will get the NOA and the biometrics letter, maybe even the interview letter and the subsequent green card at your new address. I know it happened in my case. The last address that CIS had on file for me was the one that they had at the time of entry. When I filed the I-751, it was with the new address and then everything that I subsequently got was at the new address.

Problem is, just because it happened with me, does not mean it is the norm. You never know when CIS might screw up. Once you file the I-751 with your new address, then go online and make sure you have updated the address for the petition, and then a few days down the line receive a letter from CIS confirming that they have the new address, keep both the print out and the letter as proof of having updated the address for the pending petition, you know that you are protected and even if the correspondence still erroneously gets sent to the old one (unlikely), following which you get the removal letter, you still have nothing to worry about.

Isn't that a nice feeling?

Bottomline - It really is your decision. I felt safe after doing it. You decide what you think is best for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.