i-751 travel with extension/stamp

i-751 travel with extension/stamp

Old Oct 26th 2011, 7:53 am
Just Joined

Unknown23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: i-751 travel with extension/stamp

S Folinsky
I just read the first thread by OP.

I see that I contributed to the reason the thread was closed. Also, I can see why, perhaps, the I-551 card was lifted.

In light of the fact that OP claims he has an attorney, my reaction to his going into Newark CIS is now "WTF." My reaction about his upcoming trip to Canada is a further "WTF."

"You can lead a horse to water. ..."

I got a Infopass after reading on a different forum that it was a safer way to travel. Under the stamp there is expired card's A# number which I believe they can simply manually digit instead of scanning, like many other scanning machines.
The main reason why I got a Infopass was to obtain more information towards traveling on a pending i-751 such as "my case".

My attorney's opinion is that my case can't be denied while I am out of the country, not because I am out of the country, but due the fact I am likely to have a interview before any decision made.

My biggest concern is re entering United states, what kind of problems can I face? I have no criminal records, but my ex wife has a restraining order against me.

And last but not least, the possibility of receiving an answer while im out of the country.

I was just trying to find a similar experience.

thanks
Old Oct 26th 2011, 8:10 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Unknown23
I got a Infopass after reading on a different forum that it was a safer way to travel.
Well, the stamp is no "safer" than traveling using your expired green card plus the 1-year extension letter. Tons of other people travel using the expired green card plus extension letter, and have no problem doing so. Too late now, though, you have the I-551 stamp, so what you have now is sufficient for travel.

The main reason why I got a Infopass was to obtain more information towards traveling on a pending i-751 such as "my case".
The best place to get correct information about traveling on a pending I-751 is from your lawyer, not from USCIS.

My biggest concern is re entering United states, what kind of problems can I face?
What problems does your lawyer think you might face? As far as having the legal right to enter the USA, you shouldn't have any problem, since you are a PR and can prove it.

And last but not least, the possibility of receiving an answer while im out of the country.
I suppose anything is possible. No one on here can give you an accurate answer on what *might* happen with your individual case. It seems that your lawyer thinks it's a low chance of receiving an answer while you're out of the country...so go with that.

If you are worried that your case might be decided while you are outside the USA, and that you might have trouble getting back in....then don't travel.

Even if you found someone on here with a similar experience, you cannot use that information for your own case. Yours is individual, with very specific history and set of circumstances. What works for another individual is no guarantee whatever they've done will work for you.

Rene
Old Oct 26th 2011, 8:12 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply! <3
Old Oct 26th 2011, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

Spoke to my attorney and seems like I should be fine =]

interesting topic i found

http://www.immigrationkb.com/Uwe/For...tension-letter

Old Oct 30th 2011, 10:09 am
Just Joined

I went to Canada, driving there was easy, crossing the border by car they only checked my passport and letter and we were all good, didn't even check bags or anything.

I came back by train, they questioned me about the letter once the train stopped on the border. Then after everything seemed ok, the same guy came back and said whos "my name" and I said it was me. He asked me to walk with him, took me to the food place on the train and asked me if i ever had gone to court to become responsible for myself before i turned 18. I said no, never.
He asked me if I ever got arrested and I also said no.

Then he said he had brought me there to not ask me in front of my friends and said everything was all good.

=]

traveled w no problems w the letter, stamp and no card
Old Oct 30th 2011, 11:07 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't you supposed to carry your greencard with you at all times? So do you just carry the letter at the moment? I'm sure you don't carry your passport around with you.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 11:40 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
Aren't you supposed to carry your greencard with you at all times? So do you just carry the letter at the moment? I'm sure you don't carry your passport around with you.
penguinbar, Unknown has another thread going where he explains that he went to an Infopass appointment to get the I-551 stamp in his passport because he didn't know he could travel using an expired green card and the 1-year extension letter. At the Infopass appointment, they gave him the I-551 stamp valid for 1 year and took away his plastic green card.

Rene
Old Oct 30th 2011, 12:30 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
penguinbar, Unknown has another thread going where he explains that he went to an Infopass appointment to get the I-551 stamp in his passport because he didn't know he could travel using an expired green card and the 1-year extension letter. At the Infopass appointment, they gave him the I-551 stamp valid for 1 year and took away his plastic green card.

Rene
I realize that but by law aren't you supposed to carry around proof of status? My husband carries around his extension letter and expired greencard. Is the letter enough? I'm talking proof of status in general not just for traveling. I can't see carrying around a passport all the time .
Old Oct 30th 2011, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by penguinbar
I realize that but by law aren't you supposed to carry around proof of status? My husband carries around his extension letter and expired greencard. Is the letter enough? I'm talking proof of status in general not just for traveling. I can't see carrying around a passport all the time .
Oh, I see now. I suppose the unexpired letter would be enough to show that he has PR status extended for 1 year. Otherwise, yes, he'd have to carry his passport.

Rene