Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-751 Request For Evidence

I-751 Request For Evidence

Old Apr 24th 2009, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

Synthesis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-751 Request For Evidence

I filed the I-751 in plenty of time, but it took them a while to get to it, fair enough, I got my letter of extension. When I sent my package I sent an affidavit from friends, jointly filed tax returns, and a bunch of mail we received here (in both names), along with life insurance policies, jointly signed lease agreement and I think some photos. I knew the evidence perhaps wasn't the greatest, but I've been having horrible problems getting credit. And my husband was so used to having utilities in his name that we kept them that way. We never got a joint bank account because we like having our own finances, but we DO share responsibilities. I pay the rent and the cellular phone bills, but the cell phone bill is in his name because they wouldn't give me a contract because of the no credit thing.

So I open my mail the other day to find an RFE and the instructions state that they want evidence of financial intermingling and residence specifically, though I'm not sure if that's a form they attach to everything. It did also say any other evidence to prove it's not a fake marriage. I'm disappointed, but mostly worried. We have been married for nearly 3 years now and I have a little more evidence of that, but it's not great. We just don't record every moment of our lives like some people do, and we don't own our own home or car.

I suppose what I want to ask is: if I send this new packet with as much stuff as I can possibly muster and it is still not good enough, will they give us a chance to prove ourselves in an interview? We could pass that easily as we are a genuine couple, still very much in love. I'm just having trouble generating a paper trail as credit companies hate somebody with no credit. I'm just worried that they could turn us down flat and throw me out... is that even possible? I'm afraid of losing everything here.

Would it be acceptable to print out the AT&T record showing the bill payments and a photocopy of my card (with all but the last 4 digits blanked out) to prove I pay that bill (that is in his name)? Would it be okay to send photocopies of check stubs to prove I paid the rent? Honestly I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel, but I'm not sure exactly what they want me to prove. Love is more than having a joint checking account!!

Any tips for things I could send that I haven't thought of would be much appreciated!

Thanks.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 3:11 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-751 Request For Evidence

S,

Some people don't have to deal with immigration and the associated requirement to document a bona fide marriage. You didn't realize that this day was coming?

Put away the list of standard suggestions for what everyone else submits and examine your own lifestyle. You're sure to come up with things that are appropriate to your situation.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Synthesis
... We have been married for nearly 3 years now and I have a little more evidence of that, but it's not great. We just don't record every moment of our lives like some people do, ...
Old Apr 24th 2009, 3:41 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Not to worry. You can write a letter explaining the reasons why you have separate bank accounts and why the utilities are in only one spouse's name. There were in my name in our case and it was not a problem. If you have a cell phone does it include both your phones on one bill? If so, there you go. Use that as proof. Include cancelled checks for payment of the utilities. Get a letter from your landlord attesting to who resides in the apartment or a letter from a neighbor and friend, i.e. affidavit describing their knowledge of your marriage and living arrangements and how they know this. Send along transcripts of all your tax returns show that you filed married. Be creative.

At worse you will be scheduled for an interview. Not the end of the world.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 3:49 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... will they give us a chance to prove ourselves in an interview?
You might not get an interview... most I-751 applicants don't.

We could pass that easily as we are a genuine couple, still very much in love.
With respect, your "love" isn't at issue and is otherwise irrelevant to the process.

I'm just worried that they could turn us down flat and throw me out... is that even possible?
You are a PR until an immigration judge says you're not. There is an appeal process if the I-751 is denied.

Love is more than having a joint checking account!
I suppose that depends on whether or not you're dealing with US immigration.

Ian
Old Apr 24th 2009, 3:55 pm
ILM
Forum Regular

ILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really nice

Hi I hope my list gives you some idea of what I produced for my I-751.
You can no doubt find similar stuff and believe me I thought I was struggling with this.
I was approved only 2 days ago...

list re I-751 form
1....I-751 form completed
2....Cheque for $545.00
3....Copy of residency card
4....2 passport photos
5....Addresses in NY

Evidence of relationship

1....Letter to immigration
2....Joint Bank statement HSBC
3....Joint Registration for 06 Aveo car
4....Niagara Falls photos,Dated from attractions.
5....Postmarked envelopes to both of us.
6....Christmas card from parents to us both
7....Birthday card from Laura to me
8....Laura's dedication to me from her journal
9....Insurance ID card
10...Insurance summary
11...Aveo retail certificate of sale to us both
12...Affidavits of support X3 2 notarized

1....Complaint filed for Divorce
2....Referee's Report
3....Judgment of Divorce Granted

Criminal History

1...1st page
2....Certificate of disposition case #08030036
3....Certificate of disposition case #08030019
4....police incident reports
5....Order of dismissal (restraining order)
6....Order (stay away order)

all the very best ILM

Last edited by ILM; Apr 24th 2009 at 4:01 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 11:25 pm
Banned

Arpita is an unknown quantity at this point

but the cell phone bill is in his name because they wouldn't give me a contract because of the no credit thing.
Even if someone has no credit whatsoever or has a very bad credit, everyone can open an account with cellular phone companies so easily with a refundable-deposit. Almost all cellular phone companies will ask for a deposit to open an account if somone has no credit or a bad credit. The amount of such deposit varies person to person and as per a particular company's criteria which could be ranged from $100-$500 and it's totally refundable after 2 years' contract. This money is not enough to spend when it comes to arrange documents for immigrating purpose, in my humble opinion.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 1:27 am
Just Joined

Synthesis is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys. Looking at the stuff you've said, I think I have some good ideas.

I did know I would have to prove this... I was just a little surprised that I didn't send enough stuff before.

Thanks for the suggestion that I can write a letter explaining some of this stuff. I didn't know if that would count against me as being unprofessional or something. Indeed we have both cellphones on the same bill so I can explain that... and show them the records that show all those calls between our two phones!

I think everything's going to be OK. I just need to get it in the mail ASAP.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 5:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. Looking at the stuff you've said, I think I have some good ideas.

I did know I would have to prove this... I was just a little surprised that I didn't send enough stuff before.

Thanks for the suggestion that I can write a letter explaining some of this stuff. I didn't know if that would count against me as being unprofessional or something. Indeed we have both cellphones on the same bill so I can explain that... and show them the records that show all those calls between our two phones!

I think everything's going to be OK. I just need to get it in the mail ASAP.
You can also use mail that comes to each of you individually, but at the same address. You might not have a joint bank account, but surely correspondence from each bank is sent to each of you at the same address...include some statements from both your banks, showing they are mailed to the same address.

Rene