Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-751 Petition Question

I-751 Petition Question

Old Jul 2nd 2006, 9:56 pm
Jaime

Default I-751 Petition Question

Hey there! I am concerned due to a letter from DHS we received this past week. It was a blue paper (form I-797) stating that we need to submit copies of documents verifying marriage. I am
confused because we sent in a huge package of paperwork from rent agreement to car loan info, including pictures. I can't imagine what else they need. From everything I am reading I thought the Affidavits from two people attesting our marriage were optional. None of the paperwork I have read from DHS states that the affidavits are necessary. Can someone tell me if the affidavits are required with the
I-751. These are the only things we didn't submit with our last packet in Januray. Thanks for any help!.

---
posted via:
http://www.visaforyou.org/eng/

Old Jul 2nd 2006, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-751 Petition Question

Originally Posted by Jaime
It was a blue paper (form I-797) stating that we need to submit copies of documents verifying marriage.
What exactly, did they ask for? Did it say "marriage" or was it more like "married life"? The former would require documentation of your actual marriage... your marriage certificate, for example. The latter would require documentation of your life together... and that's where all the other stuff comes in.

Ian
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 3:41 pm
Jaime

It was just a generic form, with no letter of explanation included. It asked for evidence of good faith marriage. The bulleted options of evidence were the exact same as on the "how to" paper that comes with the I-751..

---
posted via:

Old Jul 3rd 2006, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

no-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really nice

Here is a forum link on the subject of I-751 Affidavites

Going solely by the instructions for I-751, I would say the Affidavite is needed:

Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by at least two people who have known both of you since your conditional residence was granted and have personal knowledge of your marriage and relationship. (Such persons may be required to testify before an immigration officer as to the information contained in the affidavit.) The original affidavit must be submitted and also contain the following information regarding the person making the affidavit:his or her full name and address; date and place of birth;relationship to you or your spouse, if any; and full information and complete details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge. Affidavits must be supported by other types of evidence listed above.

My wife and I are about to send in our I-751 and we have no problem asking some friends to do this. I don't see why it's an issue to ask a friend to write and sign a 1-2 paragraph letter attesting your marriage is valid.

Unless, the marriage is somewhere close to a fraud.
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

pianoplayer has a brilliant futurepianoplayer has a brilliant futurepianoplayer has a brilliant futurepianoplayer has a brilliant futurepianoplayer has a brilliant futurepianoplayer has a brilliant futurepianoplayer has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Jaime]Hey there! I am concerned due to a letter from DHS we received this past week. It was a blue paper (form I-797) stating that we need to submit copies of documents verifying marriage. I am
confused because we sent in a huge package of paperwork from rent agreement to car loan info, including pictures. I can't imagine what else they need. From everything I am reading I thought the Affidavits from two people attesting our marriage were optional. None of the paperwork I have read from DHS states that the affidavits are necessary. Can someone tell me if the affidavits are required with the
I-751. These are the only things we didn't submit with our last packet in Januray. Thanks for any help!.

It surely does not hurt to get 2 affidavits and I would just send them copies of everything you sent before. Who knows, maybe they lost it or it got transferred. In any event, at least they still know about you, so just make things as easy as possible and resubmit everything WITH the affidavits, making sure you have proof of sending it.

It may be that they simply want more evidence, possibly some affidavits? In any event, we can only guess. Send everything you can. Good luck.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 7:43 pm
Mel And Sharon

Today we received the same blue form requesting documents verifying our
marriage. I'm confused about what they are looking for. We sent an
extensive list of items, including affidavits, joint income tax
returns, life insurance beneficiary forms, health care proxies, health
insurance showing both of us covered under my policy at work,
automobile insurance showing each other insured. We don't have a lease
or mortgage and we don't have joint bank accounts or credit cards so we
can't provide that information. The letter says not to send anything
that we've already sent. So do we just send a letter stating that we
are still married, that they have all the evidence that we can provide?
Or do I ignore the part that says don't send anything we've already
sent, and send it all again?

Geez, USCIS and their redtape requirements make me crazy!

We filed our I-751 with Vermont on January 13, 2006 for those who are
keeping track of dates.

Sharon & Mel

Old Jul 5th 2006, 10:27 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mel And Sharon
Today we received the same blue form requesting documents verifying our marriage.
Did you send a copy of your official marriage certificate?

Ian
Old Jul 6th 2006, 12:01 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jaime
It was just a generic form, with no letter of explanation included. It asked for evidence of good faith marriage. The bulleted options of evidence were the exact same as on the "how to" paper that comes with the I-751..

---
posted via:
Did you send any documentation showing "comingled assets"? e.g. bank statements, mortgage/rental accommodation documentation, etc.

NC Penguin