Default I-751 and Housing Arrangements

Great site.
Have done all my USCIS stuff myself to date:
Arrived US from Australia Jul 01 - worked here for 2.5 years on an A-2 Visa
K1 Visa application Feb 04, issued in Sydney Jul 04
Married in US Oct 04
Various work permits Oct 04 - Nov 05
GC Issued Nov 05
I-751 going in this week - VSC (right at the front end of the 90 day window)

Submitting the normal stuff here, joint loans, tax returns, utilities, bank accounts, wife beneficiary to my company insurance and health cover, two notarized statements from friends, travel itinerary, etc.

But ... we have nothing "joint" for housing. House is in my wife's name. Two questions:
1. Do you think it is worth writing a statement from me demonstrating that I pay the mortgage (presented checks etc)?

2. I see another poster here stated that they had the I 751 notarized. The form (30 Jul 07 ver) does not indicate that it needs to be?

A lot of the issues with NOA letters seem to relate to Vermont, I hope this is getting better.

Cheers,
Vince
Old Aug 27th 2007, 3:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-751 and Housing Arrangements

Originally Posted by Vince P
1. Do you think it is worth writing a statement from me demonstrating that I pay the mortgage (presented checks etc)?
Seems like joint housing is one of the things people get an RFE for, so if you want to include a statement as to why your name is not on the deed or mortgage, and include checks with only your name on them to show you pay out of your own account, it certainly couldn't hurt.

2. I see another poster here stated that they had the I 751 notarized. The form (30 Jul 07 ver) does not indicate that it needs to be?
I personally haven't seen anyone on here mention they had the I-751 notarized, but no, it does not need to be.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 1:13 am
Just Joined

timagain is an unknown quantity at this point

Housing arrangement problem here also.I will be sending my 751 packet next month,now is the process of gathering all the documents since the marriage.We had rented for two years but last year we moved into his family home,so now we do not pay rent and we do not have any mortgage together.

I was thinking of just writing a letter to explain this.We have past rent contracts and receipts,but none for the last one year.Is this a problem?Will the letter be sufficient to explain the situation?Will we be called for interview based on this?

Any other advice on the latest things being done now.I have not looked at forums for some time and the USCIS website too.

Thanks everyone.
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 2:29 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by timagain
I was thinking of just writing a letter to explain this.We have past rent contracts and receipts,but none for the last one year.Is this a problem?Will the letter be sufficient to explain the situation?Will we be called for interview based on this?
Include the past rental contracts, and write a statement as to your current housing arrangement. If his parents are still living, you can even write up an informal contract between you guys and submit it.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 2:44 am
Just Joined

waow,informal contract.His parents do not live in the house.We are there with his brother.I did not think of it but I do not know how that will look.I was just planning to write a letter to simply state our current living conditions.

We have joint bank statements for 3 years.
2 years rent contracts and receipts from the previous apartment
401K showing beneficiary
My retirement account(separate type from 401k)showing beneficiary
Car title with both names
Car registrations for past two years
Auto insurance
Life insurance showing beneficiary
2005 and 2006 tax returns
Utility bill(we only pay for the water,telephone is in his brother's name)
I plan to get notarized attestations from friends and family who know us
Those are the ones I can recall right now.

Any other suggestions to this?Thank you.
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 2:59 am

waow,informal contract.His parents do not live in the house.We are there with his brother.I did not think of it but I do not know how that will look.I was just planning to write a letter to simply state our current living conditions.

We have joint bank statements for 3 years.
2 years rent contracts and receipts from the previous apartment
401K showing beneficiary
My retirement account(separate type from 401k)showing beneficiary
Car title with both names
Car registrations for past two years
Auto insurance
Life insurance showing beneficiary
2005 and 2006 tax returns
Utility bill(we only pay for the water,telephone is in his brother's name)
I plan to get notarized attestations from friends and family who know us
Those are the ones I can recall right now.

Any other suggestions to this?Thank you.
Nope, that all sounds great! Go for it!

Rene
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 2:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Why not have the parents d/l a lease from the net and complete it for you and sign it. End of problem.
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

But we are not renting from his parents.His brother and wife and us share the bills.We all contribute every month to pay.There was no formal agreement except verbally and we all meet our shares of paying the bills and taking care of the house.

Would the adjudicating officer not frown at such a document?Although it is a food for thought that we should draw up something on paper,even though we have all been good the past year lol.

I am beginning to sweat over this now.I thought I could just write a letter n end of story.phew!
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 9:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I am beginning to sweat over this now.I thought I could just write a letter n end of story.phew!
So write the letter or file without anything. Include a check or two showing payment of utilities or whatever. It is only a minor thing and not having a lease will not mean you will be denied. The worse thing to happen is an interview. Big deal.
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 10:49 pm

Don't worry, it sounds like you have a lot of other documentation to show your joint life together. Just include a statement as to your current living arrangements and as Rete says, include a copy of a few checks to show you guys both pay rent there.

Rene
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

chiguedna has a brilliant futurechiguedna has a brilliant futurechiguedna has a brilliant futurechiguedna has a brilliant futurechiguedna has a brilliant futurechiguedna has a brilliant future

But we are not renting from his parents.His brother and wife and us share the bills.We all contribute every month to pay.There was no formal agreement except verbally and we all meet our shares of paying the bills and taking care of the house.

Would the adjudicating officer not frown at such a document?Although it is a food for thought that we should draw up something on paper,even though we have all been good the past year lol.

My son in law and my daughter live with us along with a bunch of nieces and nephews. I own the house,I pay all the bills, and just charge them a percentage. I don't rent to them, we just all share the expences, just like your situation.
When my son in law sent in his I-751 I just wrote a letter stating the above and sent a few canceled checks from thier joint account, of their payments to me.
The whole process went slicker than a greased pig and he was approved well within the projected processing time. Don't sweat it.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 1:10 am
Just Joined

ok,that is what we will do.Send them a letter explaining and take a chance with that.We never gave checks we contributed in cash and my inlaws made the payments.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 12:45 am
Just Joined

Default NOORAH,RETE et al...

Hi Guys,
I did get an informal agreement drawn up,better safe than sorry took y'all advice.

Can anyone private share a format with me of how the letters from friends and relatives is?The people helping me are asking what should they write?i don't even know what the format is..

Thanks a lot!
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 2:37 am

Default Re: NOORAH,RETE et al...

Hi Guys,
I did get an informal agreement drawn up,better safe than sorry took y'all advice.

Can anyone private share a format with me of how the letters from friends and relatives is?The people helping me are asking what should they write?i don't even know what the format is..

Thanks a lot!
There is no standard format. Just a simple statement including the facts surrounding how they know you as a couple. What kinds of things you did together. Trips, dinners, movies, whatever. How long they've known you. Make sure they include their personal contact information such as full name, address, telephone number and email address if applicable.

Rene