Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-751 and domestic violence!!! need help

I-751 and domestic violence!!! need help

Old Jul 12th 2006, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

cjcherri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-751 and domestic violence!!! need help

a friend of mine resideing in LA just called and seeks for help. She has beening marring to her USC husband for 4 years. She has been abused physically and emotionally. There's police reports and other witness. She wants a devorce now but will be eligiable for I-751 next March. She also has deposited over half a million in his account immidiately after their marriage and moved to US hoping to start a new life with him. He refused to return the money; however, wrote her a check that there's no balance left for her to check the check. the marriage didn't work out due to above reasons. She is in the house by herself because her husband is out of town in China till Aug. She has contacted two chinese lawyers and they all want big fees (between 30,000-100,000) for her case and to help her legally stay in US. She doesn't have that money now. The only thing is that she doesn't speak much english and that's why she is going with chinese speaking lawyers, they hasn't call her since. I volunteered to help her translate if i can find someone in her area. ANYONE can help referring good laywers? perferrably less than 5,000 for the process. She's only have a few thousand left since she can't get the money back from her husband. or maybe give me a number to call for the county legal assistant (some sort of free service for immigration and divorce issue???)

HELP her please
Old Jul 12th 2006, 3:49 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-751 and domestic violence!!! need help

Have a look here and pick the one closest to her.
http://www.catholiccharitiesinfo.org/states/CA.htm

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jul 12th 2006, 4:21 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cjcherri
a friend of mine resideing in LA just called and seeks for help. She has beening marring to her USC husband for 4 years. She has been abused physically and emotionally. There's police reports and other witness. She wants a devorce now but will be eligiable for I-751 next March. She also has deposited over half a million in his account immidiately after their marriage and moved to US hoping to start a new life with him. He refused to return the money; however, wrote her a check that there's no balance left for her to check the check. the marriage didn't work out due to above reasons. She is in the house by herself because her husband is out of town in China till Aug. She has contacted two chinese lawyers and they all want big fees (between 30,000-100,000) for her case and to help her legally stay in US. She doesn't have that money now. The only thing is that she doesn't speak much english and that's why she is going with chinese speaking lawyers, they hasn't call her since. I volunteered to help her translate if i can find someone in her area. ANYONE can help referring good laywers? perferrably less than 5,000 for the process. She's only have a few thousand left since she can't get the money back from her husband. or maybe give me a number to call for the county legal assistant (some sort of free service for immigration and divorce issue???)

HELP her please

http://www.apwcla.org/about/Chinese_Brochure.pdf

They can give a referral for legal help. They also can arrange for protection of the person.

Also -- http://apalc.org/legal.htm
Old Jul 12th 2006, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

cjcherri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
http://www.apwcla.org/about/Chinese_Brochure.pdf

They can give a referral for legal help. They also can arrange for protection of the person.

Also -- http://apalc.org/legal.htm
she has already contacted APWCLA.org; however, since she has conntact lawyer to help her, they think she doesn't immidiate danger (and husband is in china for business now). Whatelse can she do? i advise her to give them a call again and hoping she would get someone else to talk to her.