Reload this Page >

I-751 divorce waiver timeline

I-751 divorce waiver timeline

Old Jun 13th 2011, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

seekinghelp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-751 divorce waiver timeline

Hi there, I have a couple of questions:

1. What is the usual timeline for a I-751 waiver filing? While you file and until the interview I still have all the green cards rights, correct? (like travelling in and out the country, etc).

2. After my divorce is finalized, will I have a couple of months before filing to collect all the documentation I need?

Thanks a lot!
Old Jun 13th 2011, 2:33 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-751 divorce waiver timeline

Originally Posted by seekinghelp
1. What is the usual timeline for a I-751 waiver filing?
There isn't one. It can take as little as 6 months, or as long as 2 years.

While you file and until the interview I still have all the green cards rights, correct? (like travelling in and out the country, etc).
Yes. After filing I-751, first you will get a 1-year extension letter. If it takes longer than that, you can make an Infopass appointment and go in person to get an I-551 stamp in your passport.

2. After my divorce is finalized, will I have a couple of months before filing to collect all the documentation I need?
Once your divorce is final, you can file the I-751 w/waiver anytime up until your green card expires. You don't have to wait for the 90-day window, you can file the next day or a couple of months later, up to you. It might be smarter to collect all the documents you need starting now, keep them in a safe place, and then once you have your divorce decree you'll be ready to file right away.

Rene
Old Jun 13th 2011, 3:24 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Once your divorce is final, you can file the I-751 w/waiver anytime up until your green card expires. You don't have to wait for the 90-day window, you can file the next day or a couple of months later, up to you. It might be smarter to collect all the documents you need starting now, keep them in a safe place, and then once you have your divorce decree you'll be ready to file right away.

Rene
I would recommend deleting the bolded language.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 3:41 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I would recommend deleting the bolded language.
Why? I thought they could file an I-751 all the way up until the expiration date of the 2-year green card?

Rene
Old Jun 13th 2011, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

seekinghelp is an unknown quantity at this point

Why? I thought they could file an I-751 all the way up until the expiration date of the 2-year green card?

Rene
I believe Folinsky be correct. Once the divorce is final your status is automatically revoked.

Folinsky: what if I do not apply right away? If I receive a removal proceeding note, can I still apply then?
Old Jun 13th 2011, 3:52 pm

I believe Folinsky be correct. Once the divorce is final your status is automatically revoked.
I disagree. Your status is valid until the expiration of your green card, even if you get divorced.

what if I do not apply right away? If I receive a removal proceeding note, can I still apply then?
If you get put in removal proceedings, you must file a motion to reopen the case. You will need an immigration lawyer. But I do not believe you get put in removal proceedings just because you got divorced. You get put in removal proceedings if you don't file the I-751 within the 90-day window just prior to your 2-year green card expiration.

Rene
Old Jun 13th 2011, 4:53 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I thought they could file an I-751 all the way up until the expiration date of the 2-year green card?
I believe you're both correct... but that Mr. Folinsky is suggesting you can file the I-751 even after the GC expires!

Ian
Old Jun 13th 2011, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I believe you're both correct... but that Mr. Folinsky is suggesting you can file the I-751 even after the GC expires!

Ian
Ah, I see. But then they risk getting put in removal.

Rene
Old Jun 13th 2011, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

lostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, I have a couple of questions:

1. What is the usual timeline for a I-751 waiver filing? While you file and until the interview I still have all the green cards rights, correct? (like travelling in and out the country, etc).

Thanks a lot!
Hi:

If timeline means the time it takes for a 751 waiver to be processed, then its anywhere between few months to few years. The fastest I have seen is 4 months and the slowest 4 years.

Its in your best interest to file the waiver as soon as your divorce is final.

In addendum: Hire reputed counsel in your locale for the filing.

Last edited by lostlove; Jun 13th 2011 at 6:49 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 7:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, I see. But then they risk getting put in removal.
I agree, but I'm not sure we were looking at the risk/reward ratio.

Ian