Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-751 Checklist and Questions

I-751 Checklist and Questions

Old Apr 28th 2012, 7:06 pm
EJ3
Forum Regular

EJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default I-751 Checklist and Questions

Hello everyone,

I've been a stranger to posting for quite some time now but I still read the board frequently. My two year conditional green card is close to expiring and I am about to send my I-751 and supporting documents.

This is what my package of documents currently consists of:

- I-751 completed and signed with additional sheet detailing previous addresses
- Cheque for $590
- Copy of truck title in both names
- Copy of truck registration in both names
- Copy of truck insurance in both names
- Mobile phone bill in both names- one from 2011 and another from 2012
- Copy of AR-11 (change of address document)
- Copy of employment benefits and insurance listing spouse as beneficiary
- Copy of joint bank account statements- one from 09/10/11/12
- Copy of joint water bill- last three months
- Copy of current lease agreement in both names
- Copy of previous lease agreement in both names
- Small number of photographs
- Joint tax returns for 2009, 2010 and 2011

Is there anything obvious that I have overlooked?

Our joint tax returns are multiple pages and I'm wondering how many pages of each it is actually necessary to send. Would the first couple of pages showing both names be sufficient?

Also, is it quicker to send via UPS or through the USPS? I'll be sending the package to vermont and I've read that UPS cannot deliver to PO Boxes?

Thank you for taking time to read this!
Old Apr 28th 2012, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-751 Checklist and Questions

Looks good. You might consider sending IRS Transcripts rather than the actual copies of your tax return. The transcripts are free and don't take very long to acquire.

You may also want to consider sending your package via Registered mail with the USPS. When we sent DH's off over a year ago, we received our receipt of delivery (and notice of payment to USCIS) in just about a week of sending the package off.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 8:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

For the I-751, I believe only the 1040 is necessary, which shows you filed in the married category. Your financials aren't considered, so no need for the rest of the tax return.

We always sent everything to USCIS via USPS, certified mail, return receipt requested. I don't know if that's the quickest way, but it always worked for us.

As for what address to use, check the I-751 cover page at www.uscis.gov, Forms, I-751.

Rene
Old Apr 28th 2012, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EJ3
Is there anything obvious that I have overlooked?
Looks good. We did this last year and I included a photocopy of both drivers licenses to show same address.

Our joint tax returns are multiple pages and I'm wondering how many pages of each it is actually necessary to send. Would the first couple of pages showing both names be sufficient?
I only sent the first page of the tax transcripts. No complaints from USCIS. I even wrote in red at the bottom: "Page one of [year] joint tax transcript" so they would know it was intentional.

Also, is it quicker to send via UPS or through the USPS? I'll be sending the package to vermont and I've read that UPS cannot deliver to PO Boxes?
I used USPS priority mail. Doesn't have to be quick unless your greencard expires today. It's going to sit there for months. I've got two friends who sent last August and Sept and are still waiting on VSC. They seem to have gone into slow motion at VSC for quite a few people.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 10:05 pm
EJ3
Forum Regular

EJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
For the I-751, I believe only the 1040 is necessary, which shows you filed in the married category. Your financials aren't considered, so no need for the rest of the tax return.

We always sent everything to USCIS via USPS, certified mail, return receipt requested. I don't know if that's the quickest way, but it always worked for us.

As for what address to use, check the I-751 cover page at www.uscis.gov, Forms, I-751.

Rene
Thank you Rene. I just plan to print the section you described which shows us filing jointly. I'll USPS the package as I've done previously.

Thank you Moonshadow_Girl and Moxie for your helpful responses also.
Old May 29th 2012, 10:55 pm
EJ3
Forum Regular

Hello,

I have a quick question to ask. I just received my biometrics appointment letter but I need to reschedule. My understanding is to mail the original notice and tick the box requesting to reschedule. Do I need to send a cover letter along with it or is the notice itself sufficient?

Thank you once again.
Old May 29th 2012, 11:09 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EJ3
Hello,

I have a quick question to ask. I just received my biometrics appointment letter but I need to reschedule. My understanding is to mail the original notice and tick the box requesting to reschedule. Do I need to send a cover letter along with it or is the notice itself sufficient?

Thank you once again.
You have two choices:

Tick the box asking to reschedule and follow those instructions...no need for a cover letter...you may end up waiting another month or more for another appointment; OR

Now that you have the appointment letter, just do a walk-in ahead of your scheduled time. Most people's experience doing this is successful, they accommodate walk-ins as long as you have your appointment letter in hand.

Rene
Old May 29th 2012, 11:22 pm
EJ3
Forum Regular

Thank you Rene,

I actually do not have time to do a walk in before I leave for a holiday so ideally I would prefer to just reschedule for a later date.

One more question just sprung to mind, I am pretty sure I need just my one year extension letter, expired green card and valid passport to travel. Is this correct?
Old May 29th 2012, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by EJ3
One more question just sprung to mind, I am pretty sure I need just my one year extension letter, expired green card and valid passport to travel. Is this correct?
Correct.

Rene
Old May 29th 2012, 11:36 pm
EJ3
Forum Regular

Thank you
Old Jul 6th 2012, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

ajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud of

Thanks for starting this thread, its been a while myself since I posted on here, but have been stopping by to take a look frequently. This thread was a great help when deciding what infromation to include in our package when we submitted it.

I myself submitted my package just about three weeks ago, and recieved the reciept notice/extension letter about a week later.

I did have one question, if for some reason there is a delay in recieving my new green card, can I use the extension letter to extend the expiration date on my drivers licence? I only ask since I had noticed some people mentioned the Vermont service center was taking some time to process paperwork.

Thanks,

Alex
Old Jul 6th 2012, 3:29 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

That is a question that you will have to ask the folks at your local DMV. And don't be surprised if you get a blank stare for an answer, or conflicting answers from different people. In my personal experience, it took weeks for the local DMV people to get verification from the head office in the state capital about documentation requirements for immigrants applying for drivers licenses.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by ajmstevenson
... if for some reason there is a delay in recieving my new green card, can I use the extension letter to extend the expiration date on my drivers licence? I only ask since I had noticed some people mentioned the Vermont service center was taking some time to process paperwork.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

ajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud of

Thanks for the post Jeff. Technically I have until September before my current green card hits its expiration, but I was trying to think long term just in case it takes some time to get the new card through.

Ah the joys of the DMV....
Old Jul 6th 2012, 6:55 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing 'technical' about it - the green card expires as of the expiration date printed on it.

Regards, JEff

Technically I have until September before my current green card hits its expiration, ....
Old Jul 16th 2012, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

I did have one question, if for some reason there is a delay in recieving my new green card, can I use the extension letter to extend the expiration date on my drivers licence? I only ask since I had noticed some people mentioned the Vermont service center was taking some time to process paperwork.

Thanks,

Alex
Hi there,

When I passed my driving test I only had a month or so validity left on my green card and they will only issue a driver's licence for as long as the green card is vaild.

However, I had a copy of my extension letter with me at the DMV. I showed it to them, explained situation (I have filed at Vermont, too!) and they accepted it.

So my licence shows the expiry date of the extension letter on it now.

Good luck!!

**EDIT**

p.s. Vermont are taking about 10 months to process I751s right now.

Last edited by YouWantFriesWithThat; Jul 16th 2012 at 7:42 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.