Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-751 Checklist and Questions

I-751 Checklist and Questions

Old Aug 14th 2012, 5:59 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-751 Checklist and Questions

That's not quite what it says. Your conditional permanent resident status is extended indefinitely, until the I-751 has been adjudicated and either approved or not. It's the letter itself, as evidence of your status, that is valid for 1 year.

Valid 1 year from when is an excellent but moot question, because either your petition will have been decided within 1 year or, when it starts getting close to 1 year with no decision, you will panic and make an InfoPass appointment to find out what is happening and request that an ADIT stamp (aka an 'I-551 stamp') be placed in your passport.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by ajmstevenson
I filed my I751 back in June (within the 90 day expiration window of my current GC), and recived my I797 in the mail with a receipt date of 06/19/2012. This says my conditional resident stauts is extended for a period of one year. Is this one year from the date on my GC, or the date of receipt? (There is no other date listed on the I751).
Old Aug 14th 2012, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

ajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud of

Thanks Jeff,

I am not anticpating that there will be any issues, my husband and I provided a small novel to USCIS with our joint accounts for banking/insurance/health insurance/club memberships etc in addition to a plethora of photos of us since we were married.

My biggest concern is the fact that the website states that my case cannot be found at this time when I enter my receipt number on the USCIS.gov site. I have subsequently discovered the "help line" does not really meet up to its title

I was curious about the date as last time I passed through the UK (at LHR) the "passport checker" commented on the fact that my green-card was shortly due to expire. I told him I knew, I had applied for the removal of conditions, and had my extension letter, but he didnt seem interested in seeing it. My assumption is they will be more interested once I present them with my expired GC upon check in for my flight back to the US....
Old Oct 4th 2012, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of light

Hi All,

Just an update: We sent in our forms/evidence etc to remove conditions. We received receipt notices and then I received my son's biometrics appt. My appointment notice didn't arrive and my son's biometrics appointment was approaching. I called the 1800 number and was told that they couldn't help me until 30 days after the date of my receipt. I explained that I was fairly certain that if I waited that long I would miss my biometrics appointment which I was fairly sure would have been scheduled at the same time as my son's appt (he is only 5). The chap on the phone kept repeating that until I had waited 30 days they could not help me.

I went on to the USCIS website and made an Infopass appointment for the next morning. Again the requirement was that I had to wait 45 days (I think) but I booked the Infopass anyway and decided I would rather be told off in person than possibly miss my biometrics appointment. The people at my local USCIS office were very helpful. I explained what had happened and each person I spoke to said that the Infopass was the way forward. If I had taken the advice of the 1-800 number I would have missed my biometrics appointment. The appointment was made for the same day as my son's, but my letter had never made it to me. We ended up getting our biometrics done right there and then. All sorted for a while at least.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

ajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud of

All,

I am sure that you have answered this question a million times before, but I just want to be certain before I step onto a plane, but I am planning on travelling out of the country. I have submitted my Removal of Conditions, and I have my letter that states my status is extended. This plus my Green Card is all I should need for international travel correct?
Old Jan 17th 2013, 8:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Correct.

You will need:

Unexpired passport
Green card (either expired or unexpired)
Unexpired 1-year extension letter

Rene
Old Jan 17th 2013, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Correct.

You will need:

Unexpired passport
Green card (either expired or unexpired)
Unexpired 1-year extension letter

Rene
Thanks so much for your quick response Rene, as ever you are beyond helpful. This forum is such a great resource!
Old Feb 8th 2013, 12:49 am
EJ3
Forum Regular

EJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond repute

Thought I would post in my original thread to write a quick timeline update seeing as quite a few people have posted here.

I-751 Documents received at VSC on 4th May 2012. Biometrics in June.

Approval letter received in the mail (10 year green card to follow) on 7th February 2013!

I do have one question:
After reading over the requirements for citizenship on uscis.gov I believe I may be eligible to apply. Do I have to have held a 10 year green card for a certain time period before I can apply? The date I became a PR is May 2010 and I am married to a USC.

Thank you.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Congrats!

You must have been married for at least 3 years on the day you apply for naturalization.

Think no problem that you just received your GC... I will be in the same situation at the end of this year, did a little research already.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

richbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slummymummy
You must have been married for at least 3 years on the day you apply for naturalization.
I'm not at the naturalization stage yet, but you've made me curious; does a person have to be over three years married on the date of application, or over three years permanent resident on the date of application...or both?

As a UKC, I married my USC wife in April 2012. We've been living in London since then, but hoping to move to the states in June/July 2013 on a CR-1 visa which will make me a conditional permanent resident. I'm wondering if I'll need to go through the I-751 process to remove conditions, or if I'll be eligible to apply directly for naturalization through the N400 process? If so, this would likely save a lot of time, effort and money!

Thanks, Rich.

Last edited by richbogle84; Feb 8th 2013 at 8:24 am.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

You need to remove conditions first. We had been married just over 1.5 years when I became a permanent resident. A bit silly really, should have waited until it was 2 years, would have saved me hassle and money. I take it you don't want to wait until your marriage is 2 years old... You can apply for naturalization 90 days before you have been a permanent resident for 3 years (and have been married to the same american for 3 years).
Old Feb 8th 2013, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

richbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond repute

You need to remove conditions first.....I take it you don't want to wait until your marriage is 2 years old
I can understand why waiting would be a good idea, but it's not one we can pursue for two reasons. Firstly because my wife's UK spousal visa is for just two years before it would need renewed anyway [more time, more effort, more money], and secondly because we're already mid-way through the CR-1 application process here in London.

In light of that I will just have to continue on the CR-1, I-751, N400 route.

There go my hopes of a cheeky shortcut bypassing the I-751 stage

Thanks, Rich.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 1:21 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EJ3
Do I have to have held a 10 year green card for a certain time period before I can apply?
If, on the day you apply, you've been married for 3 years to a USC, you can apply 90 days prior to the 3rd anniversary of the "resident since" date on your GC.

Ian
Old Feb 8th 2013, 1:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richbogle84
... does a person have to be over three years married on the date of application, or over three years permanent resident on the date of application...or both?
See my response above.

Ian
Old Feb 8th 2013, 1:41 pm
EJ3
Forum Regular

EJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If, on the day you apply, you've been married for 3 years to a USC, you can apply 90 days prior to the 3rd anniversary of the "resident since" date on your GC.

Ian
Exactly the response I was looking for, thank you Ian.

After posting, I used the search bar to look up N400 threads. Very useful information obtained from previous threads and many questions answered. A good place to read for other members who are reaching this point.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
Thanks Ian,

I knew I was being overly optimistic [or cheeky] hoping I could skip the I-751 stage altogether! Ah well, win some, lose some...

Rich.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.