Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-751: After submission & Biometrics, what next?

I-751: After submission & Biometrics, what next?

Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:26 am
Just Joined

gwynhuever is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation I-751: After submission & Biometrics, what next?

hi...i am new here...i am not sure if this is the correct thread to post my question...but as the title is about filing of I-751...so here goes..

I have a conditional green card...and I have submitted my I-751 application pack already. I received a notice of extension for my conditional residency for a year (maybe while the process of lifting the conditions are still ongoing). I had my biometrics taken last Oct 31. My questions are:

- after biometrics, what will be the next step? Will I get my permanent green card in the mail or will my husband and i be interviewed by an immigration officer?

- what would be the approximate timeline for the next step after the biometrics are taken?

I am anxious to know these because my father is not doing well now. I may need to go back to my country anytime. Also I do not know how long I will be out of the US if I travel this time (all dependent on my dad's condition).

thank you for sharing!
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:11 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-751: After submission & Biometrics, what next?

Originally Posted by gwynhuever
hi...i am new here...i am not sure if this is the correct thread to post my question...but as the title is about filing of I-751...so here goes..

I have a conditional green card...and I have submitted my I-751 application pack already. I received a notice of extension for my conditional residency for a year (maybe while the process of lifting the conditions are still ongoing). I had my biometrics taken last Oct 31. My questions are:

- after biometrics, what will be the next step? Will I get my permanent green card in the mail or will my husband and i be interviewed by an immigration officer?

- what would be the approximate timeline for the next step after the biometrics are taken?

I am anxious to know these because my father is not doing well now. I may need to go back to my country anytime. Also I do not know how long I will be out of the US if I travel this time (all dependent on my dad's condition).

thank you for sharing!
hi & welcome!
I split your question out to its own thread.

After biometrics, all you have to do is wait; adjudication can take up to 18 months.
The result will be either that your new Green Card is mailed to you (90+% likely) or that you & husband will be called for an interview.

You may travel on your expired Green Card + passport + extension letter. If you feel that you'll be gone longer than the extension letter is valid for, you can try to get a new I-551 stamp just before your departure or (and if you'll be gone for close to a year, investigate this more closely) you can apply for a re-entry permit, which allows you to be gone from the US for up to 2 years without losing your residency.

I hope your dad's health improves very soon.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:14 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You've done everything you need to do for now. It is rare to be called in for an interview on the I-751. You *might* receive an RFE (Request for Further Evidence), and there is a time limit in which to respond to that. Usually, though, most people seem to just get an approval and the 10-year card gets mailed to them automatically.

You can travel now, using your 2-year green card (even if it's expired), your unexpired 1-year extension letter, and your unexpired passport. The only thing you'd need to come back for in a hurry would be to take care of an RFE if it comes in (or perhaps someone still here in the USA can handle that), or if you do get an interview appointment (I'm sure they'd give you a couple of week's notice at least).

As for the timeline....could be anywhere from just a few months to over a year. There's no way of knowing.

Rene
Old Nov 10th 2008, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

gwynhuever is an unknown quantity at this point

meauxna and noorah...thank so much for the quick replies...i will make sure to explain all the details of my application to my sister in law in case a notice of action will come in my absence (and also leave with her all documents which could be needed as further evidence)

i am very new to this forum and i already learned a lot! although i must say i need to get familiar with a lot of ABC's of posting messages here....
Old Nov 10th 2008, 1:03 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gwynhuever
meauxna and noorah...thank so much for the quick replies...i will make sure to explain all the details of my application to my sister in law in case a notice of action will come in my absence (and also leave with her all documents which could be needed as further evidence)

i am very new to this forum and i already learned a lot! although i must say i need to get familiar with a lot of ABC's of posting messages here....
Glad it helped, gwynhuever, and don't worry about where you posted. I just joined a new forum this weekend and did the same thing, even though I knew my comment really should be on its own. It just feels weird to start a new thread, but you are welcome to anytime. The 'new thread' button is at the top left side of the forum page. The wiki (link at top of page) and search features net a lot of results, too.