Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-134 support and Change of Address woes

Wikiposts

I-134 support and Change of Address woes

Old Dec 14th 2009, 9:49 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-134 support and Change of Address woes

Originally Posted by Jade84
What I have is a letter from his employer showing his monthly salary and what he makes annually. This is dated Oct 9, 2009.
Go ahead and get a few recent pay stubs as well. More recent than Oct 9. Like maybe from Oct 9 to date.

His salary should be enough to cover it (its 57,000/year), but he included the bank info in the packet he sent to us just to be on the safe side by providing as much information as possible.
OK, that's fine.

I can obtain copies of the last 3 years tax returns. Do those need to be notarized copies or can they just be photocopies?
They can just be photocopies, not notarized. You'll also need a copy of his W-2 forms for all 3 years if you use photocopies of the tax return. Or, he can get free official IRS transcripts in about a week, by calling the IRS 800 number. He places the order on the phone, and then receives them in the mail about a week or so later. If he does that, he does not need to provide the W-2s.

And what would you recommend for proof of US Citizenship? A copy of a birth certificate? He doesn't have a passport (weird, I know).
Photocopy of his birth certificate is fine.

Rene
Old Dec 14th 2009, 9:50 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

YWFWT,

Don't - it was a good question and should alert Jade to her ambiguous use of terminology. It's not always as obvious as it was in this thread.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by YouWantFriesWithThat

I'll go back to sleep.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Jade84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
J,

Let's think about this for just a moment.

The originals were sent to the IRS, they will never be seen again.

Regards, JEff

Good point.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

Good eye, though. Trust me, I *WISH* we were already at the adjustment of status stage.

I am about 5 seconds away from tears as I write this. Every time I think I have my stuff together, I read a post referring to something I didn't even think of or totally missed the first 500 times of reading. I have dreams about this interview and its not even MY interview.
Hugs (((((((Jade)))))))))

Trust me - far better to realised you're missing stuff now rather then on the day of the interview........

Just take your time and don't spend too many big chunks of time on one subject - I found doing that I would be looking at the answer and couldn't see it. Try and do a bit each day, if possible. It'll all be fine, just take your time
Old Dec 14th 2009, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by YouWantFriesWithThat
Hugs (((((((Jade)))))))))

Trust me - far better to realised you're missing stuff now rather then on the day of the interview........

Just take your time and don't spend too many big chunks of time on one subject - I found doing that I would be looking at the answer and couldn't see it. Try and do a bit each day, if possible. It'll all be fine, just take your time
Thanks!

I really REALLY appreciate all of the help. You guys are all so fantastic and so knowledgeable. Hopefully I can be on your end soon!

And Jeff, I honestly didn't know that AOS didn't mean "affidavit of support". Since I haven't begun to prepare for Adjustment of Status, I haven't read much on the forum about it yet. My apologies for the confusion and I'll be more careful next time.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 11:17 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teamroberts
Hi all,

This is our first post. My fiancée and I have applied for a K-1 visa for myself. We've gone through the stresses of the petition and the packet 3 and the medical..
I have my interview scheduled for January

I have a couple of questions....

Firstly, with regards to the I-134... What supporting documents do we really need (London office)? We have a letter from her employer in the US, a letter from her bank documenting her balance and her custom for the past 12 months.
I am concerned that she doesn't have the IRS tax transcripts? Are these needed? Any idea how quickly they can be processed? She lives in California.
This is the biggest thing that's worrying me, I've seen other threads by people saying they have been put on the Additional processing list because they don't have these forms?! Is this true?

I have a question regarding this as well.

My dad completed the I-134 for my UK fiance, since I don't make enough money to show that I can support us. I have his AOS and the required evidence for that, however, do I still need to provide tax and financial info for myself? I thought that if he showed that he would support both of us, my info isn't really needed in the K-1 interview.

Is that right?

K-1ers! I know you get nerves and all, but I haven't seen anyone mention that they have actually read the instructions from the Embassy.

Evidence Which May Be Presented to Meet the Public Charge Provisions of the Law

Also, her tenancy at her current house is expiring JUST before I would be due to come over :-s
Meaning she would be living somewhere different to the address listed on my K-1.
Any ideas what we need to do about this? She may even move just after my interview :-/

Thanks for your help!!
At the Point of Entry/POE, you will give your newest US address; you can effect a change at that point by telling the border agent.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 2:45 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Amen.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by meauxna
K-1ers! I know you get nerves and all, but I haven't seen anyone mention that they have actually read the instructions from the Embassy.

Evidence Which May Be Presented to Meet the Public Charge Provisions of the Law
Old Dec 15th 2009, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

Its not that we aren't reading. Or at least I can speak for myself by saying that I do read up on the info. But as I'm sure all of you know - its all very confusing and VERY scary. If you miss out or overlook one thing, it can screw things up for you big time. I'm sure you all know that too.

I know that it can seem annoying that we ask the same questions over and over again, but you've all been there before, too, right?

Even though things are stated very clearly in the embassy links, it still feels good to have someone who has been through the process clarify things for you one more time.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 6:31 am

Yes, that's why many people hire lawyers. (And why some who don't, should.)

Regards, JEff

Its not that we aren't reading. Or at least I can speak for myself by saying that I do read up on the info. But as I'm sure all of you know - its all very confusing and VERY scary. If you miss out or overlook one thing, it can screw things up for you big time. I'm sure you all know that too.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Yes, that's why many people hire lawyers. (And why some who don't, should.)

Regards, JEff
I understand your point here too. We hired a lawyer who have us horrible advice and cost us a lot of money. Now we are doing it on our own (and with some much appreciate help from this forum and other forums as well).
Old Dec 15th 2009, 5:46 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I caught my lawyer making mistakes as well. By the way you can have tax transcripts faxed to you too.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 1:40 am

If one is going to hire a lawyer, they should exercise at least as much care in making their selection as they would use when chosing their dry cleaner.

Regards, JEff

We hired a lawyer who have us horrible advice and cost us a lot of money.
Originally Posted by penguinbar
I caught my lawyer making mistakes as well.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 4:25 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

My lawyer was referred to me by my cousin who is also a lawyer. After my experience with her I don't have too much faith in his recommendations for anything!