I-134 Question

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 7:05 pm
GiveMeStrength

Default I-134 Question

I went to my bank today to get supporting evidence for my I-134 in relation to the I-134 Affidavit of Support. I asked the bank officer to supply me with a document containing:

1) date my account was opened.
2) total amount deposited for the past year
3) me present balance.

The bank officer was not able to provide me with the total amount deposited for the past year and instead put a figure of a YTD average collected. Apparently, they don't have immediate access to the total amount I deposited over the past year and we would need to order statements to get this information.

The average collected would be for the past 10 months and not 12 months. Since its an average and not a total, I'm worried that this might cause problems.

Has anybody else run into this?

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 7:28 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-134 Question

Originally posted by GiveMeStrength
I went to my bank today to get supporting evidence for my I-134 in relation to the I-134 Affidavit of Support. I asked the bank officer to supply me with a document containing:

3) me present balance.

The bank officer was not able to provide me with the total amount deposited for the past year and instead put a figure of a YTD average collected. Apparently, they don't have immediate access to the total amount I deposited over the past year and we would need to order statements to get this information.

The average collected would be for the past 10 months and not 12 months. Since its an average and not a total, I'm worried that this might cause problems.

My bank provided me with a letter that states the dates I opened my checking and savings accounts, and the average balances of each. Now I'm not sure if that is an average balance this year, or since the accounts were opened, but I've had those accounts for a very long time, so I'm assuming they are sort of current balances. That's what they could do for me, so that's what I took. Hopefully it will be what the consulate wants! I'm going to bring a year's worth of statements to show deposits.

Rene
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 7:47 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

I had problems with Natwest in the UK as well. They actually wouldn't give me any info I asked for, saying they didn't have permission to give ME info on MY account! I was like what the hell, this is MY account, why can't I know my own stats?? So all I had was my folder with my bank statements (since I opened the account) which automatically shows the average balance for every month. In the end it didn't matter for me though because I just presented my husband and my mother-in-laws bank information and the consulate never wanted to see my stuff. Luckily they hadn't had any trouble aquiring the bank info.

Are you the one sponsoring or being sponsored?
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 7:59 pm
aframpt1

I requested the same from my bank but all they could provide was a letter
stating the Date I opened my accounts and the average (over the last year)
balance of the accounts. They also charged me $25.00 for this! Anyway, I
am going to just send this to my fiance and hope the consulate won't have a
problem.

Angela and William
NOA1 - 9/16/03 - TSC
NOA2 - ??

"Noorah101" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by GiveMeStrength
    > > I went to my bank today to get supporting evidence for my I-134 in
    > > relation to the I-134 Affidavit of Support. I asked the bank officer
    > > to supply me with a document containing:
    > >
    > > 1) date my account was opened.
    > > 2) total amount deposited for the past year
    > > 3) me present balance.
    > >
    > > The bank officer was not able to provide me with the total amount
    > > deposited for the past year and instead put a figure of a YTD average
    > > collected. Apparently, they don't have immediate access to the total
    > > amount I deposited over the past year and we would need to order
    > > statements to get this information.
    > >
    > > The average collected would be for the past 10 months and not 12
    > > months. Since its an average and not a total, I'm worried that this
    > > might cause problems.
    > >
    > > Has anybody else run into this?
    > My bank provided me with a letter that states the dates I opened my
    > checking and savings accounts, and the average balances of each. Now
    > I'm not sure if that is an average balance this year, or since the
    > accounts were opened, but I've had those accounts for a very long time,
    > so I'm assuming they are sort of current balances. That's what they
    > could do for me, so that's what I took. Hopefully it will be what the
    > consulate wants! I'm going to bring a year's worth of statements to
    > show deposits.
    > Rene
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:07 pm
GiveMeStrength

Originally posted by Steffi

Are you the one sponsoring or being sponsored?
I am the one sponsoring. I think what I'll do is just send what the bank gave me. In addition I plan on sending 3 years worth of tax transcripts, although they didn't ask for them specifically and the I-134 also doesn't ask for them. My tax transcripts show that my yearly income has been consistent and is more than sufficient to meet the minimum requirements to support someone. I also have the required document from my employer which shows my yearly income matching my tax transcripts. I'm hoping that this should be enough to satisfy the consul.

This whole process is getting to me - I can't wait to just be DONE with it!

Rene and Noorah - Thanks for your input!

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:16 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Amen to that!! I'm right there with you!

Rene
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

MarDae will become famous soon enough

I am the one sponsoring. I think what I'll do is just send what the bank gave me. In addition I plan on sending 3 years worth of tax transcripts, although they didn't ask for them specifically and the I-134 also doesn't ask for them. My tax transcripts show that my yearly income has been consistent and is more than sufficient to meet the minimum requirements to support someone. I also have the required document from my employer which shows my yearly income matching my tax transcripts. I'm hoping that this should be enough to satisfy the consul.

Rene and Noorah - Thanks for your input!
I posted a question about the bank letter last week or so (not the same question, I was inquiring about duplicates) but some of the responses basically made it sound like it was optional and only really necessary if you were relying on your assets to supplement your income. Since you said your income is well above that required to meet 125% of the poverty guideline I wouldn't worry that it's not quite what they asked for, as long as you have your letter from your employer and your tax transcripts. Just make sure your fiance knows that it's only an average on the letter so if they ask about it they can respond accordingly. Hopefully it won't really matter in the end because of your income.

MarDae

Good Luck, I too am preparing my I-134 to send over to my fiance, I can't wait till it's done. I've kind of been procrastinating since we still don't have an NOA2 I better get crackin', it'll come soon enough! (Can you tell I'm an optimist LOL )
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:19 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi GiveMeStrength,

Yes. I ran into this same problem last week. I called the Vice President of the branch I use because I know him personally. He sent me a letter with the date the account was opened and the the present balance and then tried get by with that average daily balance thing, or average amount deposited (sorry I don't have the letter in front of me). I said NO I have to have to total amount deposited for the past year. I even faxed him a copy of the instruction sheet from the I-134 with that part circled with a Sharpie marker (I wanted something that looked official so he would feel like he *had* to do it). He said that would require them to research my account which costs $15 per hour. I said FINE, do you want to take it out of my account directly or do you want me to bring the money over there?? He's faxing the second letter today. The reason I was being so obstinate was....... I feel like they are using this as a way of verifying your income. In other words, you claim to make $30,000.00 per year and you have $27,500.00 in deposits, that keeps you in the ball park. Most people deposit their whole check most of the time (even if you spend it as fast as you make it like me), so it makes a nice paper trail.

Leslie

3) me present balance.

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:36 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

I just got the letter and it has exactly what the instructions ask for (even in the same order). LOL. My banker was also nice enough to waive the research fee.

Leslie

Originally posted by Leslie66
Hi GiveMeStrength,

Yes. I ran into this same problem last week. I called the Vice President of the branch I use because I know him personally. He sent me a letter with the date the account was opened and the the present balance and then tried get by with that average daily balance thing, or average amount deposited (sorry I don't have the letter in front of me). I said NO I have to have to total amount deposited for the past year. I even faxed him a copy of the instruction sheet from the I-134 with that part circled with a Sharpie marker (I wanted something that looked official so he would feel like he *had* to do it). He said that would require them to research my account which costs $15 per hour. I said FINE, do you want to take it out of my account directly or do you want me to bring the money over there?? He's faxing the second letter today. The reason I was being so obstinate was....... I feel like they are using this as a way of verifying your income. In other words, you claim to make $30,000.00 per year and you have $27,500.00 in deposits, that keeps you in the ball park. Most people deposit their whole check most of the time (even if you spend it as fast as you make it like me), so it makes a nice paper trail.

Leslie
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:37 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by aframpt1
I requested the same from my bank but all they could provide was a letter
stating the Date I opened my accounts and the average (over the last year)
balance of the accounts. They also charged me $25.00 for this! Anyway, I
am going to just send this to my fiance and hope the consulate won't have a
problem.
Oh yeah, they (Wachovia) also charged my husband $25.00 to get the info he needed, but then he has a Credit Union account as well and they did it for him without any charges.

Just a thought, but if they give you trouble and don't give you the info you need, what if you asked them to at least write and sign a letter saying they can't give out that info?? I wonder if the consulate would accept something like that?
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

mdaitc has a brilliant futuremdaitc has a brilliant futuremdaitc has a brilliant futuremdaitc has a brilliant futuremdaitc has a brilliant futuremdaitc has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Steffi
Just a thought, but if they give you trouble and don't give you the info you need, what if you asked them to at least write and sign a letter saying they can't give out that info?? I wonder if the consulate would accept something like that?
I asked last week if the i864 was an acceptable substitiute for the i134, and apparently it is for K3 people in London. Don't quote me tho speak to the embassy first.. the thread is http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=187734

I'm not sure why they do the i134 if the i864 has all the info + a whole lot more, and you need to fill it out anyways? It might be worth getting confirmation that it is a good substitute and using that instead.

Last edited by mdaitc; Nov 3rd 2003 at 8:50 pm.