Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-134 Documentation (FOR STUDENTS)

I-134 Documentation (FOR STUDENTS)

Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:35 am
Just Joined

ryanandannalesa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-134 Documentation (FOR STUDENTS)

I have filed a K-1 petition for my fiancee. I am a graduate student at the moment and do not have a full-time job. However this summer I made enough money to qualify us (i.e. over 125% of poverty line). I have a paycheck that shows these earnings but no letter from employer (it was only a summer internship). Should I use that income on my I-134 or just put $0 and rely completely on my joint sponsor?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by ryanandannalesa; Aug 27th 2008 at 3:36 am. Reason: clarification
Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:39 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-134 Documentation (FOR STUDENTS)

Originally Posted by ryanandannalesa
I have filed a K-1 petition for my fiancee. I am a graduate student at the moment and do not have a full-time job. However this summer I made enough money to qualify us (i.e. over 125% of poverty line). I have a paycheck that shows these earnings but no letter from employer (it was only a summer internship). Should I use that income on my I-134 or just put $0 and rely completely on my joint sponsor?

Thanks for your help.
If you're going to use income, you have to be currently employed. If you saved your money and are going to use it as an assets, it has to be 5x the amount you would have needed in income.

If your fiance is using the London embassy, he might be able to self-sponsor on the I-134 if he has enough assets or savings. There is no set amount for this, it's up to the discretion of the embassy.

You can certainly use a joint sponsor. In fact, if you still don't meet the requirements by the time the I-864 is due (after he comes to the USA and you marry and file his AOS), then you'll need the joint sponsor anyway.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:01 am
Just Joined

ryanandannalesa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I-134 Documentation (FOR STUDENTS)

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If you're going to use income, you have to be currently employed. If you saved your money and are going to use it as an assets, it has to be 5x the amount you would have needed in income.

If your fiance is using the London embassy, he might be able to self-sponsor on the I-134 if he has enough assets or savings. There is no set amount for this, it's up to the discretion of the embassy.

You can certainly use a joint sponsor. In fact, if you still don't meet the requirements by the time the I-864 is due (after he comes to the USA and you marry and file his AOS), then you'll need the joint sponsor anyway.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Ok, thanks. My assets are not enough to qualify us (i.e. 5x). I was just nervous about recording $0 of income on the I-134 - that they would look at that and decline us even with a joint sponsor. Thanks for the clarification.