Reload this Page >

i-134 co-sponsor and own funds

i-134 co-sponsor and own funds

Old Aug 18th 2005, 11:41 am
Just Joined

littlepassive is an unknown quantity at this point
Default i-134 co-sponsor and own funds

Hi,

I recieved my interview date (packet 4) for a k3 visa the other day after waiting a looong time for it to arrive, which was wonderful. However I am not sure if the I-134 documents i have collected are good enough (it may just be paranoia kicking in:-).

I am married to a US citizen who is currenlty a student (22 and in her final year) who has limited funds to support me. However I have a co-sponsor who is a friend of the family who has filled in the I-134 to support me. I also have funds myself (mostly cash) and was wandering if i needed to declare those on my wifes I-134 and where exactly i would put them. Or alternatively show up with my bank statements to show that i can support myself for some time without turning to my co-sponsor.

I have already got both my wifes and the co-sponsors I-134 (signed by notary) with me, but after re-reading all the I-134 information I think i may have not declared everything I needed to (especially my own funds). I would obviously not like to turn up to the interview with incorrect forms. If anyone has any experiences in this type of situation then it would be wonderful if someone could give me any advice on what to do.

thanks a lot
andrew
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:12 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: i-134 co-sponsor and own funds

Hi Andrew,

What consulate are you going through? That would make a difference whether your own assets are acceptable on the I-134.

If you have a joint sponsor who qualifies, then you don't have to list or use your own assets. If you're in the UK, then I've heard you can show your own assets (email the consulate with your amount and get their OK on it), and not use the joint sponsor.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

jasonabc will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by littlepassive
I have already got both my wifes and the co-sponsors I-134 (signed by notary) with me, but after re-reading all the I-134 information I think i may have not declared everything I needed to (especially my own funds). I would obviously not like to turn up to the interview with incorrect forms. a lot
andrew
Depends what Consulate you are going through - London allow you to self sponsor, others do not. If it's London - here's the page on their website that deals with the public charge part of the process:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...affidavit.html

As it says, you can use either your own funds, proof of US employment, a co-sponsor (I-134) *or a combination of these* to satisfy the Consular Officer that you won't become a public charge. If you have evidence of your own funds and have already put together an I-134 then simply present both of these at your interview - they are stronger together than one on it's own - especially as you don't seem to be sure about the I-134!

I used my own funds (successfully) at K1 interview stage - the amount required is not much. I gave them a bank statement and a letter showing how the funds were to be transferred to the U.S.

good luck

Jason
Old Aug 18th 2005, 4:34 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Andrew,

The requirement for a K visa is that you, the visa applicant, demonstrate that you are unlikely to become a public charge while in the USA on your K visa.

An I-134 from a sponsor is usually a necessary condition for a K visa, but it is never a sufficient condition - other evidence of financial support is always required. The additional evidence could include both your own liquid assets that you can use to support yourself or it could include financial information from your sponsor in addition to the sponsor's I-134.

Yodrak

Hi,

I recieved my interview date (packet 4) for a k3 visa the other day after waiting a looong time for it to arrive, which was wonderful. However I am not sure if the I-134 documents i have collected are good enough (it may just be paranoia kicking in:-).

I am married to a US citizen who is currenlty a student (22 and in her final year) who has limited funds to support me. However I have a co-sponsor who is a friend of the family who has filled in the I-134 to support me. I also have funds myself (mostly cash) and was wandering if i needed to declare those on my wifes I-134 and where exactly i would put them. Or alternatively show up with my bank statements to show that i can support myself for some time without turning to my co-sponsor.

I have already got both my wifes and the co-sponsors I-134 (signed by notary) with me, but after re-reading all the I-134 information I think i may have not declared everything I needed to (especially my own funds). I would obviously not like to turn up to the interview with incorrect forms. If anyone has any experiences in this type of situation then it would be wonderful if someone could give me any advice on what to do.

thanks a lot
andrew
Old Aug 18th 2005, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

littlepassive is an unknown quantity at this point

hello again,

thanks a lot for all your replies. I now am a lot more confident about what i need at the interview stage. I think I will take in my I-134 sponsor and co-sponsor forms along with all my own bank statements just to make sure and also how i will get it all over to america. And hopefully they will let me in:-)

thanks again, i know that a lot of people couldn't do it without the help of forums like this!!!!!

andrew
Old Aug 18th 2005, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

jasonabc will become famous soon enough

hello again,

thanks a lot for all your replies. I now am a lot more confident about what i need at the interview stage. I think I will take in my I-134 sponsor and co-sponsor forms along with all my own bank statements just to make sure and also how i will get it all over to america. And hopefully they will let me in:-)

thanks again, i know that a lot of people couldn't do it without the help of forums like this!!!!!

andrew
no problem. As to how you will move your funds - I used HIFX (based in Windsor) to move my money over. They gave me much better exchange rates than were available on the High Street, wrote me the letter that I needed for my interview and transferred the cash for free (the first transaction is on them - you pay for subsequent ones). Would highly recommend you give them a call.

www.hifx.co.uk

cheers

Jason

Last edited by jasonabc; Aug 18th 2005 at 10:47 pm.