Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-134 Affidavit of Support Question

I-134 Affidavit of Support Question

Old Jun 1st 2001, 9:37 pm
Jonn

My fiancee has been told by both her employers that although they will write a letter
stating that she is employed with them and how long she has been working, they won't
write her salary as she is hourly paid and the wage can fluctuate. Would this letter
be sufficient with copies of her W2s from each job or do we need to try again and
impress on the employer the need for this type of letter.

Thanks people

Jonn

Old Jun 1st 2001, 9:57 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Jonn wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
The copy of the I- 134 instructions that I have state that the employer should have:
"1. date of employment and nature of position, 2. Salary paid, 3. whether the job is
temporary or permanent."

I see no reference to whether the salary should be stated by the hour or by the week
or by the year. Could the employers state the hourly wage, perhaps?

It is my understanding, however, that a W-2 form does state the yearly wage. One can
also sometimes produce check stubs or bank deposits to confirm the amount of the
salary that has been deposited during the recent past. Using combinations of these
may be possible, at least that seems reasonable to me.

alvena I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. This information is provided
for the purposes of discussion.