Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-134 Affidavit of Support

I-134 Affidavit of Support

Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:38 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-134 Affidavit of Support

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Seems odd -- why let the K-1 in on less stringent criteria? Unless, of course, the K-1 can begin working (EAD) before the I-864 and have their income and assets count toward the I-864 requirement?
Yep, that's allowed. A K-1 is work authorized upon entry to the USA, for 90 days. (Hard to prove to an employer, but still legally allowed). When time comes to file the I-864, the alien's income can also be used.

But, the poverty guidelines are the same for the I-134 and I-864, so if the USC qualifies for the I-134, they will also most likely qualify for the I-864 when the time comes.

Rene
Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:41 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
When time comes to file the I-864, the alien's income can also be used.
Well, that's one benefit to the K-1 route then, if the USC's sponsorship ability is marginal and the alien spouse can get a job in the 90 days.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Well, that's one benefit to the K-1 route then, if the USC's sponsorship ability is marginal and the alien spouse can get a job in the 90 days.
That's not quite true.

The USC spouse has the same responsibilities - it's just that the spouse's income can count.

When the K-1 holder arrives, he/she can work for 90 days.

When they are married, he/she applies for the EAD (work authorization). That takes maybe 2-3 months to arrive.

Since they will probably not be married on the day he/she arrives, there will almost certainly be a gap between the first 90 days and the arrival of the EAD.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:45 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

sb,

K visas are non-immigrant visas, with regard to meeting the public charge provisions the non-immigrant policies apply.

The I-864 was created by an amendment to the INA about 10 years ago to toughen things up for immigration. It doesn't apply to the K visas, but K people don't escape because they get hit with it when they apply to immigrate (adjust status).

Search for posts on the subject by folinskyinla. He often provides historical tidbits that are interesting and enlightening, and I think he's mentioned things about I-864 a few times.

Regards, JEff

Seems odd -- why let the K-1 in on less stringent criteria? Unless, of course, the K-1 can begin working (EAD) before the I-864 and have their income and assets count toward the I-864 requirement?
Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:55 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Rene,

No, the income guidelines are not the same.

From 9 FAM 40.41 Notes, N4.6-3.c
"The simple submission of Form I-134, Affidavit of Support, however, is not sufficient to establish that the beneficiary is not likely to become a public charge. Although the income requirements of Form I-864, Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act, do not apply in such cases (i.e., the 125 percent minimum income, the need for three years income tax returns), you must make a thorough evaluation of other factors, ..." The emphasis is mine.

Regards, JEff

But, the poverty guidelines are the same for the I-134 and I-864, so if the USC qualifies for the I-134, they will also most likely qualify for the I-864 when the time comes.

Rene
Old Oct 12th 2007, 10:05 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Rene,

No, the income guidelines are not the same.

From 9 FAM 40.41 Notes, N4.6-3.c
"The simple submission of Form I-134, Affidavit of Support, however, is not sufficient to establish that the beneficiary is not likely to become a public charge. Although the income requirements of Form I-864, Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act, do not apply in such cases (i.e., the 125 percent minimum income, the need for three years income tax returns), you must make a thorough evaluation of other factors, ..." The emphasis is mine.

Regards, JEff
Oh, thanks Jeff. I didn't know that! In 2003 when I did an I-134, my attorney at the time gave me the Poverty Guideline to use as the qualifying income guide.

Rene
Old Oct 12th 2007, 10:15 am

Rene,

It is the safer thing to do.

Or maybe we're talking past each other here, as a result of using slightly different terminology. Just to be sure,
- Sponsoring a K visa requires 100% of the Poverty Guidline, and other factor not quantitatively defined are to be considered as well (highly subjective).
- Sponsoring an immigrant visa or AOS requires 125% of the Poverty Guideline, and other factors are also strictly defined (little subjectivity).

Sometimes the subjectivity can help, sometimes it can hurt.

Regards, JEff

Oh, thanks Jeff. I didn't know that! In 2003 when I did an I-134, my attorney at the time gave me the Poverty Guideline to use as the qualifying income guide.

Rene
Old Oct 12th 2007, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Rene,

It is the safer thing to do.

Or maybe we're talking past each other here, as a result of using slightly different terminology. Just to be sure,
- Sponsoring a K visa requires 100% of the Poverty Guidline, and other factor not quantitatively defined are to be considered as well (highly subjective).
- Sponsoring an immigrant visa or AOS requires 125% of the Poverty Guideline, and other factors are also strictly defined (little subjectivity).

Sometimes the subjectivity can help, sometimes it can hurt.

Regards, JEff
For the AOS sponsor - what other factors are you referring to?
Old Oct 12th 2007, 10:28 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

The I-864 was created by an amendment to the INA about 10 years ago to toughen things up for immigration. It doesn't apply to the K visas, but K people don't escape because they get hit with it when they apply to immigrate (adjust status).
If the K-1 can work for any of the time they spend here before applying for AOS and having to file the I-864, I think that's an advantage because the income can count. If the spousal beneficiary of a CR or IR visa is waiting (and working) abroad, their income cannot count for purposes of the I-864 unless it will continue once the spouse moves to the US (which is somewhat unlikely).

A small point, perhaps, but one that could prove important if the alien spouse is the one with the career that will support the couple, and the USC spouse can't pass the slightly higher hurdle of the I-864.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

lofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to all

OK, so if she sends the completed form, along with;

a couple of recent bank statements
a letter from her employer stating all the necessary…
a couple of recent pay stubs
and maybe last couple of years tax returns

then that should cover all the bases, and then some?

Should all this evidence be sent in duplicate form, i.e. copies, or are originals needed for the interview? I’m guessing the letter from her employer will have to be original, but what about the other stuff?

Incidentally, does all of this have to be mailed to the embassy along with the completed check-list, or do I just need to take it to the interview with me? I know this will all become apparent soon enough, but I just thought I’d ask while I’m here

Cheers

Alan
Old Oct 12th 2007, 11:05 am

If the K-1 can work for any of the time they spend here before applying for AOS and having to file the I-864, I think that's an advantage because the income can count. If the spousal beneficiary of a CR or IR visa is waiting (and working) abroad, their income cannot count for purposes of the I-864 unless it will continue once the spouse moves to the US (which is somewhat unlikely).

A small point, perhaps, but one that could prove important if the alien spouse is the one with the career that will support the couple, and the USC spouse can't pass the slightly higher hurdle of the I-864.
On the other hand, the K-1 alien's income will only count if he's still employed at the time of the AOS interview, and the point Tracy made is valid...there will almost always be a gap between the 90-day work authorization and the 1-year EAD, which means the alien might lose that first job and have to find another one before the AOS interview, if they need that income to count towards the I-864.

Rene
Old Oct 12th 2007, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by lofty79

a couple of recent bank statements
a letter from her employer stating all the necessary…
a couple of recent pay stubs
and maybe last couple of years tax returns

then that should cover all the bases, and then some?

Should all this evidence be sent in duplicate form, i.e. copies, or are originals needed for the interview? I’m guessing the letter from her employer will have to be original, but what about the other stuff?

Incidentally, does all of this have to be mailed to the embassy along with the completed check-list, or do I just need to take it to the interview with me? I know this will all become apparent soon enough, but I just thought I’d ask while I’m here

Cheers

Alan
All of that should be more than enough. You will bring the I-134 and supporting documents to the interview (not send it in with the checklist). Bring the originals and a photocopy of everything. They will keep the original I-134, probably the original letters, and a photocopy of the tax returns. They might want to see original W-2's, so make sure you have those as well, from the USC.

Rene
Old Oct 12th 2007, 11:11 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lofty79
Did you look up the document and information JEff posted?

Here's an article with the links, for everyone's reference.
I-134 and Overcoming the Public Charge Issue

Or find any posts from other London K-1s?
Old Oct 12th 2007, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

lofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by meauxna
Did you look up the document and information JEff posted?

Here's an article with the links, for everyone's reference.
I-134 and Overcoming the Public Charge Issue

Or find any posts from other London K-1s?
Yes I did thanks - appears clear enough.

Thanks for everyone elses input too, it's much appreciated

Cheers

Alan

ps your link doesn't appear to work, but I found it anyway by searching as JEff suggested.
Link

Last edited by lofty79; Oct 13th 2007 at 12:02 am. Reason: Add Link
Old Oct 15th 2007, 3:47 am

T,

Using assets to complensate for inadequate income is one that comes quickly to mind.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Tracym
For the AOS sponsor - what other factors are you referring to?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.