Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-134 Affidavit of Support

Wikiposts

I-134 Affidavit of Support

Old Oct 12th 2007, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

lofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to all
Default I-134 Affidavit of Support

My fiancée is just in the process of filling in this form and getting together the necessary supporting evidence in preparation for my interview in London.

On the instructions it asks for a “statement from an officer of the bank or other financial institution where you have deposits…….” Does a bog standard monthly bank statement cut-it, or is this something she needs to go in to a branch and ask for? Also, how much credence is given to this as supporting evidence? The reason I ask is that she only recently opened a new checking account and closed her old one – therefore she has only been a customer with this bank for a couple of months now. Will this matter at all?

Finally, on the instructions, the only other evidence required is a letter from her employer stating her position, length of service, salary etc…. Yet reading some of the guides that are available it appears some people include other supplementary evidence such as pay stubs, tax returns and the like. Is any of this other stuff really necessary or is it just a waste of time including this kind of stuff?

Cheers

Alan
Old Oct 12th 2007, 5:24 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-134 Affidavit of Support

Originally Posted by lofty79
My fiancée is just in the process of filling in this form and getting together the necessary supporting evidence in preparation for my interview in London.

On the instructions it asks for a “statement from an officer of the bank or other financial institution where you have deposits…….” Does a bog standard monthly bank statement cut-it, or is this something she needs to go in to a branch and ask for? Also, how much credence is given to this as supporting evidence? The reason I ask is that she only recently opened a new checking account and closed her old one – therefore she has only been a customer with this bank for a couple of months now. Will this matter at all?

Finally, on the instructions, the only other evidence required is a letter from her employer stating her position, length of service, salary etc…. Yet reading some of the guides that are available it appears some people include other supplementary evidence such as pay stubs, tax returns and the like. Is any of this other stuff really necessary or is it just a waste of time including this kind of stuff?

Cheers

Alan
I did the I-134 for my fiance back in 2004, and I included bank statements, a bank letter, 3 years of tax returns and W-2's, an employment letter, and pay stubs. I was actually missing one of the W-2's, and my fiance got a reminder to bring it with him to the interview, so I know they checked everything out.

Of course, this was back in 2003. And it was Turkey, not London. But I wanted to include everything just in case.

I haven't read up on the current I-134 form, if there is a new one.

Rene
Old Oct 12th 2007, 5:47 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I just read the I-134 and you're right, it doesn't mention including tax returns unless you're self employed. I am not sure if the tax return requirement is something that the US Embassy in your home country might require, in addition to the I-134, you might want to check on that.

As for the bank, perhaps she can go to her old bank and get a letter from them as well, and include both letters?

Rene
Old Oct 12th 2007, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

lofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to all

OK, thanks. So it's letters from the bank they're looking for, and maybe a statement or two as well. I guess it should be easy enough to get a letter from her old bank too. And as for the other stuff, i guess it can't hurt to have too much evidence - better than having too little.

Cheers

Alan
Old Oct 12th 2007, 6:32 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Alan,

A letter from the bank is required only if one is showing their bank account information as assets on the I-134, in which case the bank accounts need to be documented. Many consulates will accept the monthly bank statements for this purpose - the consulate I have experience did, but that consulate was not London.

Many people who have more than sufficient income do not mention their bank accounts on their affidavit of support, thus avoiding the need to document the accounts.

Regards, JEff

Cheers

Alan

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Oct 12th 2007 at 6:39 am.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 6:38 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Rene,

An I-134 affidavit of support is only one of a number of items that can be used to show that a non-immigrant visa applicant will not become a public charge after entering the USA. An I-134 may not even be required, it's use in any particular case is optional at the discretion of the consular officer. Granted, consular officer invariably do exercise their discretion and require one in cases where a sponsor is involved.

Anyway, income tax returns are another item that is often asked for, in addition to an I-134, to demonstrate the sponsor's ability to keep the visa applicant off the public dole.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I just read the I-134 and you're right, it doesn't mention including tax returns unless you're self employed. I am not sure if the tax return requirement is something that the US Embassy in your home country might require, in addition to the I-134, you might want to check on that.

As for the bank, perhaps she can go to her old bank and get a letter from them as well, and include both letters?

Rene
Old Oct 12th 2007, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Alan,

A letter from the bank is required only if one is showing their bank account information as assets on the I-134, in which case the bank accounts need to be documented. Many consulates will accept the monthly bank statements for this purpose - the consulate I have experience did, but that consulate was not London.

Many people who have more than sufficient income do not mention their bank accounts on their affidavit of support, thus avoiding the need to document the accounts.

Regards, JEff
That makes sense. The support will be soley based on her income so it looks like a bank statement may not even be required. I guess it won't hurt to have a couple anyway, just in-case.

I haven't actually received the check-list from the embassy yet so i'll wait to see what it asks for.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 7:04 am

Alan,

In addition to the checklist look for a document designated either OF-167 or DS-2000, and titled something like "Evidence That Can Be Presented To Meet The Public Charge Provisions Of The Law". Or Google it. This document is, as its' title indicates, what most people incorrectly think I-134 is.

Regards, JEff

That makes sense. The support will be soley based on her income so it looks like a bank statement may not even be required. I guess it won't hurt to have a couple anyway, just in-case.

I haven't actually received the check-list from the embassy yet so i'll wait to see what it asks for.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

Alan
For London, I was told by an attorney to just include the bank statement.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:10 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I know they cut back to only needing the previous year's tax return and current pay stubs. Yes, if you've got a tidy sum in the bank (what is it, 5x the 125% poverty guideline?) and can prove it, you do not need current income to qualify as a sponsor. However, they can still ask to see tax returns -- unless, of course, they can get them easily from the IRS.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I know they cut back to only needing the previous year's tax return and current pay stubs. Yes, if you've got a tidy sum in the bank (what is it, 5x the 125% poverty guideline?) and can prove it, you do not need current income to qualify as a sponsor. However, they can still ask to see tax returns -- unless, of course, they can get them easily from the IRS.
3x the poverty level for fiance/spouse.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:18 am

sb,

Only the most recent tax return for I-864 (immigrant visas and adjustment of status). There's been no change to the policies for meeting the public charge provisions of the law for non-immigrant visas.

The "5x" for assets also is an I-864 thing, and it's now 3x for sponsoring a spouse.

Regards, JEff

Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:22 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Only the most recent tax return for I-864 (immigrant visas and adjustment of status). There's been no change to the policies for meeting the public charge provisions of the law for non-immigrant visas.
Thanks Jeff (we did an IV). Sounds a bit like the K-1 requirements are less strict than the CR/IR requirements, but I'd need to study the K-1s. I'd stupidly assumed that the "public charge provisions" would be the same. US government -- never the same way twice.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:30 am

Thanks Jeff (we did an IV). Sounds a bit like the K-1 requirements are less strict than the CR/IR requirements, but I'd need to study the K-1s. I'd stupidly assumed that the "public charge provisions" would be the same. US government -- never the same way twice.
Just to follow up, the I-134 is less strict, and is the one required to obtain the K-1 visa. Once the alien is inside the USA and wants to AOS, then the more strict I-864 is required.

Rene
Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:34 am
Lapine Member

Just to follow up, the I-134 is less strict, and is the one required to obtain the K-1 visa. Once the alien is inside the USA and wants to AOS, then the more strict I-864 is required.
Seems odd -- why let the K-1 in on less stringent criteria? Unless, of course, the K-1 can begin working (EAD) before the I-864 and have their income and assets count toward the I-864 requirement?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.