Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

To I-130 or not to I-130?

To I-130 or not to I-130?

Old Sep 24th 2004, 7:10 pm
Cool Member

USA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond repute
Default To I-130 or not to I-130?

We are not quite at this step yet, but for a K-1, when we file the I-485 AOS, do we also have to file an I-130?

At first i thought the I-130 was only for K-3, but then i think i saw it listed on the documents needed list on the I-485 instructions, but then reading the FAQ's on Visa Journey.com, it does not mention I-130 at all. Hmmmmm.

Thanks!
Marnee
Old Sep 25th 2004, 1:53 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To I-130 or not to I-130?

Originally Posted by USA & Pakistan
We are not quite at this step yet, but for a K-1, when we file the I-485 AOS, do we also have to file an I-130?

At first i thought the I-130 was only for K-3, but then i think i saw it listed on the documents needed list on the I-485 instructions, but then reading the FAQ's on Visa Journey.com, it does not mention I-130 at all. Hmmmmm.

Thanks!
Marnee
Hi Marnee!

Nope, you don't need to file the I-130. Only the I-485 and it's supporting documents.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Sep 25th 2004, 2:32 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
Marnee
As Renee said, you don't require an I-130. Remember that visajourney's FAQ includes many types of filing and it is quite easy to get confused.

You will only need the I-485, one G325A for the foreign spouse, I-864, I-765 and if A/P is needed an I-131.

Rete
Old Sep 25th 2004, 8:12 am
Cool Member

USA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
As Renee said, you don't require an I-130. Remember that visajourney's FAQ includes many types of filing and it is quite easy to get confused.

You will only need the I-485, one G325A for the foreign spouse, I-864, I-765 and if A/P is needed an I-131.

Rete
That is very good news. I was adding up the cost of filing for AOS, so that is cool that we wont have to pay that filing fee. We also wont need AP.

Does anyone know if maybe they start the name check before the interview? Since they require that all documents be turned in before they will even schedule the interview, it would make sense... but I think that might be just asking for too much.

Less than 2 weeks to the interview date!

Marnee
Old Sep 25th 2004, 9:09 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

We also wont need AP.
Why no AP? A month or so of Oregon winter may make him wish for an escape

Of course, Portland seems to be moving quite sharpish on AOS.
Old Sep 25th 2004, 2:14 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

That is very good news. I was adding up the cost of filing for AOS, so that is cool that we wont have to pay that filing fee. We also wont need AP.

Does anyone know if maybe they start the name check before the interview? Since they require that all documents be turned in before they will even schedule the interview, it would make sense... but I think that might be just asking for too much.

Less than 2 weeks to the interview date!

Marnee
If you guys don't plan visiting Pakistan in a while.. then you won't need AP, but if you do.. APPLY FOR IT!!, K1's need it
Old Sep 25th 2004, 6:32 pm
Cool Member

Originally Posted by meauxna
Why no AP? A month or so of Oregon winter may make him wish for an escape

Of course, Portland seems to be moving quite sharpish on AOS.
No escaping for him! Once we get thru all of this stuff to get him here,then he is mine, mine, mine... and I think maybe he wont notice the weather too much curled up in front of the fireplace with me... hehe

And yes, per the USCIS website, it looks like they are processing I-485's in about 3 months. I dont know how long it takes after processing to get an interview appointment, but we are not planning on visiting Pakistan for at least a year. My 2 month-long visits were enough to last me quite a while, and i think he will be busy getting over the culture shock and settling in.

Knowing that we are getting close to the end is about driving us both crazy with anticipation! I have never met anyone like him and i love him sooo much. He is so kind and loving and I have so much respect for him. It makes me angry that some people think that because he is a muslim that he must be a terrorist. It is so sad. I hope that they will open their minds when they meet him. I do not know of anyway to protect him, but he is so innocent and he does not deserve to be exposed to their prejudices.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 5:00 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I hope that they will open their minds when they meet him. I do not know of anyway to protect him, but he is so innocent and he does not deserve to be exposed to their prejudices.
Don't know where in Oregon you are, but the city is pretty darn tolerant, And my DAH comments again and again at how nice and friendly people here are.
I'm sure your guy will 'get back' what he puts out...