Reload this Page >

I-130/Moving to America

I-130/Moving to America

Old May 18th 2012, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

hetta54 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-130/Moving to America

Hello all,

I am American and my Fiance is British. I am in the UK on a student visa (Valid till Jan 2013). We plan on getting married in August 2012. Then we plan on filling out the I-130 petition as soon as possible-first week in August, then the following paperwork to get him a visa (what is the next form??)

My course is finished in September 2012 and I plan on going back to the US to get a full time job (as I can not get a permanent job on a student visa in the UK). He plans on coming to the US once the visa is complete and he is allowed to come to the US. Do I need to be in the UK while the visa is being processed? How long does it take for him to receive his immigrant visa?

Thanks so much!
Old May 18th 2012, 2:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-130/Moving to America

Originally Posted by hetta54
I am American and my Fiance is British. I am in the UK on a student visa (Valid till Jan 2013). We plan on getting married in August 2012.
Have you been in the UK for 6+ months (or will you have been there 6+ months by August)? Are you getting married in the USA, or the UK?

Then we plan on filling out the I-130 petition as soon as possible-first week in August, then the following paperwork to get him a visa (what is the next form??)
Are you planning to file the I-130 directly to London, or will be sending it to the USA? I ask, because the process is different, so hard to say what will come next, until you clarify where the I-130 will be filed.

Do I need to be in the UK while the visa is being processed?
No.

How long does it take for him to receive his immigrant visa?
If the I-130 is filed directly to London, about 6 - 8 months.

If the I-130 is sent to the USA, about 8 - 10 months.

Rene
Old May 18th 2012, 2:04 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

For "the next form" after the I-130, see the NVC's Immigrant Visa Processing web pages at travel.state.gov
I am American and my Fiance is British. I am in the UK on a student visa (Valid till Jan 2013). We plan on getting married in August 2012. Then we plan on filling out the I-130 petition as soon as possible-first week in August, then the following paperwork to get him a visa (what is the next form??)
No.
Do I need to be in the UK while the visa is being processed?
Typically 8-10 months from submission of the petition, perhaps 1-2 months less if you can file the petition with the USCIS office in London rather than with USCIS in the USA.
How long does it take for him to receive his immigrant visa?
Regards, JEff

Last edited by jeffreyhy; May 18th 2012 at 2:06 pm.
Old May 18th 2012, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

To Noorah101:

I have been in the UK since September 2011, so yes it will be over 6 months and we plan on getting married in the UK

We plan on sending the I-130 to the London Embassy

Is there any way you can pay extra for a quicker processing time??

Thanks
Old May 18th 2012, 2:16 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

No.

So in your case, if you submit the I-130 to London in August, he should be getting his Immigrant Visa around February - April 2013.

You'll want to read the "DCF" Wiki guide to see what the steps are.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; May 18th 2012 at 2:21 pm. Reason: miscalculated dates
Old May 18th 2012, 2:17 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

No... filing in London is the quickest processing time.

Ian
Old May 18th 2012, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

If I file for the I-130 in London before I go back to the US, will they send the form to a US office to be processed or will they keep it in the UK since how my husband will be in the UK?
Old May 18th 2012, 2:37 pm

If I file for the I-130 in London before I go back to the US, will they send the form to a US office to be processed or will they keep it in the UK since how my husband will be in the UK?
They keep it in the UK.

Rene
Old May 18th 2012, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

Great! Thanks!
Old May 18th 2012, 2:59 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

And it makes no difference where your husband is, or where you are once the petition has been submitted.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Noorah101
They keep it in the UK.