Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-130 and I-485 filed concurantly?

I-130 and I-485 filed concurantly?

Old Apr 12th 2008, 10:52 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-130 and I-485 filed concurantly?

Originally Posted by kristinw
we arent married yet and my father is considering lending us the 1355.00 and being his sponser

just with taxes due, not sure if he can loan the whole 1355.

im quite upset emotionally thinking of all the money involved in this process, no matter which way its done...

thanks for your replys it does help xx
Okay - here are my tuppence:

Seeing that your boyfriend entered on the VWP and you guys are short of cash, I would, if I were in your shoes, do the following:

- get married next week
- husband leaves US before his VW expires
- you file the necessary paperwork for his immigrant visa, which will take c. 8-10 months to process
- during this time, husband continues to work in the UK and earn some cash, which will help you set up home (maybe even pay for a honeymoon?)

+ he becomes a Permanent Resident on entry to the US - no more paperwork, no more $$$ to spend, no waiting for employment authorization, no need for Advance Parole.

Short-term pain for long-term gain...
Old Apr 12th 2008, 10:58 am
Just Joined

kristinw is an unknown quantity at this point

- you file the necessary paperwork for his immigrant visa, which will take c. 8-10 months to process

that's a really good idea...what form # is that? Is that called a spouse visa?

thanks xx
Old Apr 12th 2008, 10:59 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

that's a really good idea...what form # is that? Is that called a spouse visa?

thanks xx
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/CR-1

Old Apr 12th 2008, 11:04 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... what form # is that? Is that called a spouse visa?
You already know what form # it is... you mentioned it in your very first post.

Ian
Old Apr 12th 2008, 11:06 am
Just Joined

kristinw is an unknown quantity at this point

ive never heard it called an immigrant visa...pardon

thanks again elvira
Old Apr 13th 2008, 12:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Is he allowed to wait in this country for the forms to be processed with an expired vwp?
Once he files the AOS paperwork AND receives notice that they have been accepted by USCIS (not approved, just accepted), than that's what makes him legal to stay here while waiting for the process. If his I-94 expires in the meantime, he will have a period of overstay while waiting.

Rene
Old Apr 13th 2008, 12:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If his I-94 expires in the meantime, he will have a period of overstay while waiting.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I belive that if the adjustment is denied... then *all* his time in the US will count as overstay, and if he then leaves the US (or is deported), he will face a 3- or 10-year ban... and being married to a USC won't help at all.

Ian
Old Apr 13th 2008, 12:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I belive that if the adjustment is denied... then *all* his time in the US will count as overstay, and if he then leaves the US (or is deported), he will face a 3- or 10-year ban... and being married to a USC won't help at all.

Ian
I'm not sure on this one either. I think that question has been bouncing around for a while with no definitive answer. I'd like to know, too.

Rene