Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-130 approval and I-485 head start

I-130 approval and I-485 head start

Old Feb 12th 2024, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

Armw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond repute
Default I-130 approval and I-485 head start

Hello folks,

We've just had my I-130 approved after 11 months (yay!) Which our lawyer deemed to be a little quicker than expected - happy days. There's hope for us all yet!

With that in mind, whilst we wait to be contacted by the NVC with regards to the next step, is there anything I can do to "expedite" the process from my end or at least be prepared so as to not delay any further!?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old Feb 12th 2024, 6:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-130 approval and I-485 head start

You can't expedite the process. You can start by reading the US Consulate's website for immigration visas here: https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/

You can start preparing by getting your medical information from your doctor; being sure your passport has enough time left on it, i.e. at least 6 months from date of interview; obtain your police clearance certificate and if you have any convictions and/or arrests obtaining court papers, etc.

You won't hear anything from the NVC til your spouse has submitted the requested documentation and they have been approved.
Old Feb 12th 2024, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

When do you submit your I-864 Affidavit of Support ?
Old Feb 12th 2024, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Armw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
You can't expedite the process. You can start by reading the US Consulate's website for immigration visas here: https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/

You can start preparing by getting your medical information from your doctor; being sure your passport has enough time left on it, i.e. at least 6 months from date of interview; obtain your police clearance certificate and if you have any convictions and/or arrests obtaining court papers, etc.

You won't hear anything from the NVC til your spouse has submitted the requested documentation and they have been approved.
great, thankyou for that! I’ll begin getting the mentioned sorted - thanks again!
Old Feb 12th 2024, 8:17 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Armw
Hello folks,

We've just had my I-130 approved after 11 months (yay!) Which our lawyer deemed to be a little quicker than expected - happy days. There's hope for us all yet!

With that in mind, whilst we wait to be contacted by the NVC with regards to the next step, is there anything I can do to "expedite" the process from my end or at least be prepared so as to not delay any further!?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Your title mentions the I-485 but your question is directed towards NVC processing. Which one is it?
Old Feb 12th 2024, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Your title mentions the I-485 but your question is directed towards NVC processing. Which one is it?
I beg your pardon?
Old Feb 12th 2024, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

I beg your pardon?
Are you current in the US and Adjusting Status (I-485) or are you outside the US and pending an immigrant visa interview (NVC)? You can't usually be both.
Old Feb 12th 2024, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by postbox134
Are you current in the US and Adjusting Status (I-485) or are you outside the US and pending an immigrant visa interview (NVC)? You can't usually be both.
I’m outside the US, so waiting for an immigrant visa interview.

We were led to believe this was attained following submission of a I-485, I now assume this not to be the case.
Old Feb 12th 2024, 8:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

When filling an I-130 towards an immigrant visa, there is no I-485 involved.

You can look ahead at the I-864 affidavit of support that will be needed, and gather those supporting docs. I'm not sure if that's turned in to NVC or taken to the interview nowadays so do some research.

Rene
Old Feb 12th 2024, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

We were led to believe this was attained following submission of a I-485, I now assume this not to be the case.
Yeah I-485 has not relevance to your case. You need to wait for the NVC to process you to DQ (Documentarily Qualified) and then for an interview slot to open up at the chosen consulate.
Old Feb 13th 2024, 12:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

No, that's not the case. You need to follow this step by step guide for info on the process you're going through - https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...rocessing.html

Good luck.
Old Feb 14th 2024, 2:45 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No, that's not the case. You need to follow this step by step guide for info on the process you're going through - https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...rocessing.html

Good luck.
That is a pretty good link, particularly Step 7 for Civil Documents. OP does not provide her history. The document requirements can get complicated if applicant has been resident in multiple countries. Don’t forget documents regarding potential or actual criminal records. The State Department Reciprocity information should generally be treated as gospel on what documents are available and are needed.
Old Feb 14th 2024, 1:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

That is a pretty good link, particularly Step 7 for Civil Documents. OP does not provide her history. The document requirements can get complicated if applicant has been resident in multiple countries. Don’t forget documents regarding potential or actual criminal records. The State Department Reciprocity information should generally be treated as gospel on what documents are available and are needed.
Yep, all of that is available from the link above.
Old Feb 14th 2024, 4:26 pm
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yep, all of that is available from the link above.
In just looking at the reciprocity information, I see a deficiency in its language - it doesn’t appear to note that certain civil documents needed will be from countries other than the country of citizenship. There are many permutations of this: a non-UK National may have permanent leave to remain in the UK, or a UK National may have resided outside of the UK.

Curiously, one country used to be in the reciprocity information but no longer is - the United States.
Old Feb 14th 2024, 5:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

In just looking at the reciprocity information, I see a deficiency in its language - it doesn’t appear to note that certain civil documents needed will be from countries other than the country of citizenship. There are many permutations of this: a non-UK National may have permanent leave to remain in the UK, or a UK National may have resided outside of the UK.

Curiously, one country used to be in the reciprocity information but no longer is - the United States.
That's not in the reciprocity information, but it's on the main page i.e. telling you that if you've lived in a country for a certain amount of time you need a police cert from that country, or if you've ever been arrested anywhere in the world you need to submit records from that country etc. It also says present and former residents of the US don't need to submit one from that country. But it's also very clear when you submit to NVC what documents are required, so I can't see anybody missing it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.