Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I 129f - One month to process one week.

I 129f - One month to process one week.

Old Sep 18th 2004, 4:00 am
Just Joined

pawoodster is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down I 129f - One month to process one week.

If the current update is anything to go by - 1 month to process 1 week's worth of I 129fs for the K-3 - it's going to take an absolute to eternity to get anything through. Does anyone know if this slowdown is due to anything in particular, or whether it is more significant of a general trend?

This is now getting silly.
Old Sep 18th 2004, 12:07 pm
Capt. Tuttle

Default Re: I 129f - One month to process one week.

pawoodster wrote:

>If the current update is anything to go by - 1 month to process 1 week's
    >worth of I 129fs for the K-3 - it's going to take an absolute to
    >eternity to get anything through. Does anyone know if this slowdown is
    >due to anything in particular, or whether it is more significant of a
    >general trend?
    >This is now getting silly.
    >
The approval date on line for AP at the National Center changed from
April 23rd to June 19th yesterday. Our notice date is March 26th and we
have heard nothing. The bottom line seems to be that the "update" means
nothing.
It is more than silly!!

Old Sep 18th 2004, 3:49 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pawoodster
If the current update is anything to go by - 1 month to process 1 week's worth of I 129fs for the K-3 - it's going to take an absolute to eternity to get anything through. Does anyone know if this slowdown is due to anything in particular, or whether it is more significant of a general trend?

This is now getting silly.
I can tell you on the 130 side of the house, last year, TSC had moved 6 weeks in 11 months!!
Personally, I think it's that NBC has been handed more stuff to do then they can handle in a reasonable amount of time. When it was just 129Fs and EADs for the K3 folks they were whizzing through them in two months or less a year or so ago....
Old Sep 18th 2004, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I can tell you on the 130 side of the house, last year, TSC had moved 6 weeks in 11 months!!
Personally, I think it's that NBC has been handed more stuff to do then they can handle in a reasonable amount of time. When it was just 129Fs and EADs for the K3 folks they were whizzing through them in two months or less a year or so ago....
But the reason the k-3/k-1 route is taken is to at least be with your beloved whilst you're waiting for the 130.

I went the k-3 route in order to be above board and legitimate. However, given what I know now, I would simply have gone over as a tourist, got married and applied for AOS. And that is all that will happen if the so-called legitimate means slow down to a snail's pace.
Old Sep 18th 2004, 7:21 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

But the reason the k-3/k-1 route is taken is to at least be with your beloved whilst you're waiting for the 130.

I went the k-3 route in order to be above board and legitimate. However, given what I know now, I would simply have gone over as a tourist, got married and applied for AOS. And that is all that will happen if the so-called legitimate means slow down to a snail's pace.
You are preaching to the choir here (K3 class of 03), and you have my sympathy, believe me. I spent over 3 years of our 4 years of marriage flying across the pond to see my husband.
Old Sep 19th 2004, 3:10 am
BigDuluth1

pawoodster <member29257@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected] om>...
    > > I can tell you on the 130 side of the house, last year, TSC had moved
    > > 6 weeks in 11 months!!
    > > Personally, I think it's that NBC has been handed more stuff to do
    > > then they can handle in a reasonable amount of time. When it was just
    > > 129Fs and EADs for the K3 folks they were whizzing through them in two
    > > months or less a year or so ago....
    >
    > But the reason the k-3/k-1 route is taken is to at least be with your
    > beloved whilst you're waiting for the 130.
    >
    > I went the k-3 route in order to be above board and legitimate. However,
    > given what I know now, I would simply have gone over as a tourist, got
    > married and applied for AOS. And that is all that will happen if the so-
    > called legitimate means slow down to a snail's pace.

I hear you. In the six months since we applied for the K3, my wife and
I have quit our jobs and sold our house, prepping for a move from
Canada to the United States. I'm American, my wife is Canadian, and I
have a business opportunity in the U.S. that's difficult to capitalize
on from here. We're in limbo, having to scramble for a place to live,
schooling for our kids, an office where I can work, long-term storage
for our things...

Don't throw guilt my way because we're "together as a family." I know
how fortunate we are, but it doesn't ease my frustration or the stress
and strain on my wife. We went for the K3 because it's supposed to be
quicker than an I-130, but that's not the case right now, depending on
the processing centre.

Like pawoodster, I spend a lot of time thinking about whether to
chance a "visit" to the States when my wife really won't have a
long-term "residence" here in Canada. I dream about moving to a state
that's within the Vermont AOR and applying all over again. I can't
tell you how many times I've hit the "refresh" button on my browser to
see if the USCIS has updated its processing times.

The inconsistency is the killer. You look at the dates and can't help
wondering what's going on. Do they need help? Are they slacking off on
the job? Don't they realize my predicament?

Here's hoping they start brewing high-test coffee at the NBC on
Monday. Or adding an explanation to the site. "The weather's been nice
here; hard to concentrate." Or "The guys in California off-loaded a
bunch of stuff on us; be patient."

So yeah, Friday was a huge disappointment, especially after a month
went by with no update.

SP

Old Sep 19th 2004, 10:32 am
Just Joined

Very well put Bigduluth.

I keep wondering what the k-3 process actually consists of.

Are they now checking birth certificates for traces of semtex? Perhaps sending our forms to experts for hand writing analysis to check if we have an Arab slant. Although, having worked for the benefits agency in the UK, it's more than likely to be ineptitude and bone idleness. At least the benefits agency used to employ more folk to clear a backlog.

I'm considering getting divorced and then remarrying. Or maybe becoming an illegal and sitting it out for five years.

Cindyabs - you still received your k-3 within three months. I, like Duluth have been waiting six and still no word. Plus, if the current trend continues it will take another four before they get to processing it. I don't care how long everything else takes - the k-3 is supposed to get you with your wife fairly soon and if it doesn't, it's redundant.
Old Sep 19th 2004, 11:33 am
Sursum corda

Very well put Bigduluth.

Are they now checking birth certificates for traces of semtex? Perhaps sending our forms to experts for hand writing analysis to check if we have an Arab slant. Although, having worked for the benefits agency in the UK, it's more than likely to be ineptitude and bone idleness. At least the benefits agency used to employ more folk to clear a backlog.

I'm considering getting divorced and then remarrying. Or maybe becoming an illegal and sitting it out for five years.

Cindyabs - you still received your k-3 within three months. I, like Duluth have been waiting six and still no word. Plus, if the current trend continues it will take another four before they get to processing it. I don't care how long everything else takes - the k-3 is supposed to get you with your wife fairly soon and if it doesn't, it's redundant.
Please understand my points in the previous posts were that I know what the K3 is for and I realize that many of us last year were fortunate in timely processing. I also pointed out that I had spent over 3 years commuting over to the UK in order to spend a week at a timewith my husband. I fell victim to the slowdown at NBC on the EADs. The week before our receipt date they were knocking 'em off in 2 months or even less-we waited over four months and then got an EAD that was only good for 3 1/2 months........make sense? No of course not. Now when they issue them, they are automatically good for 2 years. Should they have done that from the git go, of course, that is the common sense factor. I have written the Director of NBC, Robert Cowan about the problem. No answer. Contacted my Congressman who, in 2 months, has been unable to get any answer by email or fax from the Congressional Liason there. Comparing apples to oranges? No, it's the same outfit, sigh.....
I still maintain that NBC is neither idle, nor incompetent but now have to deal with more processing of different things then what they were created to do.
Who knows, when TSC was taking six months to process fiance(e) visas in February last year-some folks staged an onsite protest. No long lasting effects at that time, BUT the people who showed up to protest DID get their visas processed shortly afterwards.
Best of luck.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

TonyAndLynn is an unknown quantity at this point

Very well put Bigduluth.

I haven't checked the USCIS website in a few days, it was too frustrating to check daily with the same date staring back at me.

The current date says 2/27/04. However, 3 people have got their NOA-2 for the K-3 from 3/1, 3/1 and 3/15. Atleast that's what the dates on MediaBrew and Visa Journey. I know one of the 3/1 dates was from the NBC as it specifies that on the website. Not sure about the other two.

Just thougth I'd add my 2c. It is a little encouraging to see that there are people who have been approved in March. On the flip side, I guess the dates on the USCIS are fictional ;-)

Now the scary thing is once they get to my file, are they going to approve it or send out an RFE!!.. *Sigh*

Pawoodster - why did you say "5 years"? Is that when the periodic amnesty occurs?

T.