Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

How Well do I Need to Know my Fiancee?

Wikiposts

How Well do I Need to Know my Fiancee?

Old Nov 9th 2005, 1:14 am
Gary Morrison

Default Re: How Well do I Need to Know my Fiancee?

Also relatedly, what sorts of topics do they interview us about? I've
heard only a few examples.

--

(Preferably reply to the newsgroup, please. If you reply by Email, I
will sincerely try to receive your message, but it will probably get
buried in spam.)

Old Nov 9th 2005, 3:01 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gary Morrison
Also relatedly, what sorts of topics do they interview us about? I've
heard only a few examples.
Hi Gary,

The USC is *not* required to be present at the K-1 fiance visa interview. I went to my fiance's because 1) I was allowed to attend; 2) I wanted to share the special moment together; 3) I wanted to have first-hand knowledge of what was said there; and 4) I wanted the ConOff to see that my fiance and I can communicate in his native language.

The time you *will* be required to attend an interview together is for the AOS interview, once she is here in the USA and you've filed for AOS. That interview, you both must attend.

As for what topics they cover at the fiance interview, pretty much anything the ConOff wants to, in order to determine that this is a bonafide relationship and that the immigrant qualifies for the visa. The list of topics is as long as your imagination.

Try going to www.kamya.com and see if there are any K-1 interview reports there from your wife's country.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Nov 9th 2005, 9:07 am
Mh

In article <[email protected]>,
Gary Morrison <[email protected]> wrote:
    >On a somewhat related note, my fiancee has gotten the possibly mistaken
    >impression that only she (the non-US citizen) has to interview, and that
    >I (the US citizen) do not. My impression was that, at least usually,
    >both in the couple have interviews. I gather from your replies that you
    >folks impression is that usually both have interviews, correct?

Depends for what. K-1? Only the non-USC is interviewed in the foreign
consulate. AOS interview afterwards is usually for both.

MH

Old Nov 9th 2005, 9:18 pm
Gary Morrison

> The American Fiance is NOT required to show up at the CONSULAR
    > interview. In many consulates, the US Citizen won't even be allowed
    > into the Embassy/Consulate, much less the interview [practice varies].

Well, perhaps I should clarify that my impression was not that I would
attend her interview, but that they would interview each of us
separately, and look for inconsistencies between what we say. In fact
one or more of you recently mentioned such inconsistencies (e.g., the
first night in Vegas).

--

buried in spam.)

Old Nov 10th 2005, 3:18 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gary Morrison
Well, perhaps I should clarify that my impression was not that I would
attend her interview, but that they would interview each of us
separately, and look for inconsistencies between what we say. In fact
one or more of you recently mentioned such inconsistencies (e.g., the
first night in Vegas).
Hi Gary,

Being interviewed separately is something that might occur at the AOS interview for the green card, here in the USA. It is not something that occurs for the K-1 fiance visa interview.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Nov 11th 2005, 3:45 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Gary,

Being interviewed separately is something that might occur at the AOS interview for the green card, here in the USA. It is not something that occurs for the K-1 fiance visa interview.

Best Wishes,
Rene
I just remembered. At our AOS recently, the officer said, to the effect " I expect you have heard the stories about how we take you into seperate rooms and grill you?- well, if you just promise to tell the truth, I wont need to do that on this occasion" We promised to tell the truth. Who knows if she was joking?!!!

Rich.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 4:37 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RICHJEN
I just remembered. At our AOS recently, the officer said, to the effect " I expect you have heard the stories about how we take you into seperate rooms and grill you?- well, if you just promise to tell the truth, I wont need to do that on this occasion" We promised to tell the truth. Who knows if she was joking?!!!

Rich.
Hi:

She was entirely correct. The statement is both serious and joke at the same time. BTW, in my experience, the separate interviews don't happen unless something is VERY wrong on the face of things.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 11:14 pm
Gary Morrison

Folinskyinla wrote:

> She was entirely correct. The statement is both serious and joke at the
    > same time. BTW, in my experience, the separate interviews don't happen
    > unless something is VERY wrong on the face of things.

OK, very good then. Thanks for the information!

--

buried in spam.)

Old Nov 14th 2005, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
Oh great.................you have just boosted my confidence Rene! Here's another one with 2 previous marriages! PM me and tell me what they asked. OK? What the heck does THAT have to do with THIS marriage? Nosey aren't they? Wait till they hear we met on a FISH FORUM cause I had a sick fish! LOL Ours is coming up on the 8th of December!

So Mr. F, what normally is asked during an AOS interview?
Hi UK!

I don't mind posting it in public, it might help others. I would say it wasn't as much of "questioning" as "verifying". Very conversational. As she was shuffling papers and typing on her computer, she looked at me and said something like "I see your first husband was Iranian, how did you meet him?" and I told her. A little further into the interview, she glanced at me again and said "I guess your second marriage wasn't that great, how did you meet him?" and I told her he was the brother of a friend of a co-worker. She was right, that marriage was very short lived. She kind of laughed and said "so I guess you're not friends with his sister anymore! I smiled and said "no".

That was it! Since both my former husbands were Iranian, she probably wanted to make sure I wasn't in the habit of bringing them to USA or something.

Rene
Old Nov 15th 2005, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

traceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Rene:

This is what I had in mind when I spoke about consistency. The answers "Cheerios" and "I don't remember" from the two people are consistent answers as to what was eaten for breakfeast.

I recall one case from long ago involving questions about the wife's earings. I'm reluctant to say this -- but a man may "know" a woman quite well indeed, but will not notice her earings beyond obtaining knowledge they've gotten in the way and he would be unable to describe those earings even after a memorable evening.
I was asked what my husbands work number was. I had no idea as I had NEVER called him on his work phone, only his cell phone. At the time,I thought I had blown the whole thing but looking back on it, it was a pretty dumb question to ask as lots of people aren't permitted to get personal calls at work. Anyways, we got through it and that was the only "tough" question.

Tracey
Old Nov 15th 2005, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by traceyparker1
I was asked what my husbands work number was. I had no idea as I had NEVER called him on his work phone, only his cell phone. At the time,I thought I had blown the whole thing but looking back on it, it was a pretty dumb question to ask as lots of people aren't permitted to get personal calls at work. Anyways, we got through it and that was the only "tough" question.

Tracey
hehehe, we had a similar telephone dilemma. The officer asked Sadegh, what's your phone number? He told her his cell phone number. She asked, what's your wife's phone number? He told her my cell phone number. We rarely use our home phone, so when the officer asked "so what number is this one? xxx-xxxx" I was surprised when Sadegh said, oh, that's our home phone number. *whew* LOL

Rene