Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

How Many Years Marrying a US Citizen One Can Apply For US Citizenship?

How Many Years Marrying a US Citizen One Can Apply For US Citizenship?

Old May 20th 2011, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

I_751 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile How Many Years Marrying a US Citizen One Can Apply For US Citizenship?

I got my conditional permanent resident card (with 2 years condition) after 9 months of my marriage with a US citizen spouse. My question is that how many years do I have to wait exactly to apply for US citizenship, provided me and my spouse live together all time and our marriage is in good faith?

(A) 3 years since the date of my marriage?

(B) 3 years since the date conditional permanent resident card was issued to me?

(C) 3 years since the date permanent resident card (card with no condition valid for 10 years) will be issued to be?

(D) 5 years since the conditional permanent resident card was issued to me? (2 years of conditional resident card + 3 years of non conditional permanent resident card)

Please do not guess if you are not 100% sure because such an answer will create more confusion instead of help. I will appreciate for your advise!
Old May 20th 2011, 11:07 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Many Years Marrying a US Citizen One Can Apply For US Citizenship?

You are eligible to naturalize (assuming all other terms are met) 3 years after you become a Permanent Resident AND 3 years being married to a USC.

The date you became a PR is noted on your green card after the words "Resident Since.."

You should, of course, be reading the naturalization resources on uscis.gov and the Handbook for Naturalization.
Old May 21st 2011, 12:26 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Many Years Marrying a US Citizen One Can Apply For US Citizenship?

Originally Posted by I_751
I got my conditional permanent resident card (with 2 years condition) after 9 months of my marriage with a US citizen spouse. My question is that how many years do I have to wait exactly to apply for US citizenship, provided me and my spouse live together all time and our marriage is in good faith?

(A) 3 years since the date of my marriage?

(B) 3 years since the date conditional permanent resident card was issued to me?

(C) 3 years since the date permanent resident card (card with no condition valid for 10 years) will be issued to be?

(D) 5 years since the conditional permanent resident card was issued to me? (2 years of conditional resident card + 3 years of non conditional permanent resident card)

Please do not guess if you are not 100% sure because such an answer will create more confusion instead of help. I will appreciate for your advise!
In the interest of being "exact" and treating this as a multiple choice -- none of the above.

"The trouble is all inside your head she said to me. The answer is easy if you take it logically. I'd like to help you in your struggle to be free." Paul Simon
Old May 21st 2011, 1:21 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Please do not guess if you are not 100% sure because such an answer will create more confusion instead of help.
None of the choices you gave are correct.

You are eligible to apply for citizenship 90 days prior to the 3rd anniversary of your "resident since" date on your green card IF you have been married to your USC spouse for 3 years and IF you continue to live with your spouse in a viable and ongoing marriage. Time spent as a CPR can be used towards those 3 years.

Ian
Old May 21st 2011, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for replying my query. Please calrify my doubt about what you said in your comment. You said I can apply 90 days prior to the 3rd anniversary of your "resident since" date on your green card..................Which type of green card you are mentioning here: Conditional Green Card or 10 year Green Card With No 2 year condition?

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

You are eligible to apply for citizenship 90 days prior to the 3rd anniversary of your "resident since" date on your green card IF you have been married to your USC spouse for 3 years and IF you continue to live with your spouse in a viable and ongoing marriage. Time spent as a CPR can be used towards those 3 years.

Ian
Old May 21st 2011, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Yes, I do understand that 3 years after being permanent resident, but my question is whether a conditional permanent resident card with 2 years condition is counted towards 3 years or time starts from the permanent resident card without any condition (10 years card)?

Originally Posted by meauxna
You are eligible to naturalize (assuming all other terms are met) 3 years after you become a Permanent Resident AND 3 years being married to a USC.

The date you became a PR is noted on your green card after the words "Resident Since.."

You should, of course, be reading the naturalization resources on uscis.gov and the Handbook for Naturalization.
Old May 21st 2011, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

Wink Re: How Many Years Marrying a US Citizen One Can Apply For US Citizenship?

Then will you please put another choise apart from the choises I have mentioned? I will be obliged!

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
Old May 21st 2011, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Your status as a permanent resident begins when you get permanent residence

This date is shown as the "resident since" date on your green card.

It doesn't matter whether it is a 2 year card or a 10 year card (and, in fact, when your conditions are removed and you get your 10 year card it will have exactly the same "resident since" date on it that your original 2 year card had)
Old May 21st 2011, 2:39 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Then will you please put another choise apart from the choises I have mentioned? I will be obliged!
Gawd, you're hard work!

Answer the following:
* Give the "Resident since:" date as shown on your green card. xx/xx/20xx
* Have you been married to and are still married to and living in marital union the same person since getting your green card? Yes/No
* Ignoring short vacations, have you lived in the US since getting your green card? Yes/No
Old May 21st 2011, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: How Many Years Marrying a US Citizen One Can Apply For US Citizenship?

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Gawd, you're hard work!

Answer the following:
* Give the "Resident since:" date as shown on your green card. xx/xx/20xx

Ans: 05/01/2011

* Have you been married to and are still married to and living in marital union the same person since getting your green card? Yes/No

Ans: Yes

* Ignoring short vacations, have you lived in the US since getting your green card? Yes/No
Ans: Yes
Old May 21st 2011, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Cool Re: How Many Years Marrying a US Citizen One Can Apply For US Citizenship?

So which option will you choose out of the given A, B, C, D?

Originally Posted by md95065
Your status as a permanent resident begins when you get permanent residence

This date is shown as the "resident since" date on your green card.

It doesn't matter whether it is a 2 year card or a 10 year card (and, in fact, when your conditions are removed and you get your 10 year card it will have exactly the same "resident since" date on it that your original 2 year card had)
Old May 21st 2011, 5:01 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Provided both the yes/no answers remain yes, I'd post my application 85 days before 05/01/2014 should I wish to become a citizen and I were you.
Old May 21st 2011, 5:16 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Several people have told you the answer. You need to go back to your original post and re-think it.
Old May 21st 2011, 7:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

All of your original choices A, B, C, and D were wrong... so why would we pick something that isn't correct? I gave you the correct response which I shall call "E".

Ergo, given A, B, C, D, and E... E is correct.

Which type of green card you are mentioning here: Conditional Green Card or 10 year Green Card With No 2 year condition?
The "type of green card" is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is the "resident since" date on whatever green card you have.

<snip>

Ian

Last edited by meauxna; May 21st 2011 at 7:19 pm. Reason: too far
Old May 22nd 2011, 8:02 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Stop talking about the card, the requirement for naturalization is 3 years as a permanent resident if married to a US citizen for 3 years.

Please read the USCIS Guide to Naturalization as meauxna recommended, it clearly lists all of the requirements and has a worksheet to help you determine "exactly" when you will be qualified to apply.

Regards, JEff

Yes, I do understand that 3 years after being permanent resident, but my question is whether a conditional permanent resident card with 2 years condition is counted towards 3 years or time starts from the permanent resident card without any condition (10 years card)?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.