Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

How easy was getting a job after you moved?

How easy was getting a job after you moved?

Old Jun 28th 2015, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

sparkleandglitter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How easy was getting a job after you moved?

Originally Posted by username.exe
A simple change to my location put me straight on their radar.

Also, it taught me a lesson in better using keywords to flag myself up in that situation (I have an MSc, but its better to use the word 'Masters' as well). The internet is full of useful information on how to improve your profile landing higher up in searches (e.g. becoming an 'influencer', answering questions and participating in discussions etc.).

If you work in a white collar professional role, spend some time improving your LinkedIn profile before landing in the US.
Also, I cannot under emphasise the importance of getting some 'recommendations' from colleagues on your LinkedIn. Most Americans are very good at publicising themselves and their achievements, but an independent opinion goes much further IMO.
You are spot on about LinkedIn actually being great for getting the attention of recruiters, but I wouldn't have thought about recommendations. I'll see which of my past clients/colleagues can give me some recommendations. Thank you for sharing your advice and personal experience
Old Jun 28th 2015, 7:01 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How easy was getting a job after you moved?

Originally Posted by sparkleandglitter
You are spot on about LinkedIn actually being great for getting the attention of recruiters, but I wouldn't have thought about recommendations. I'll see which of my past clients/colleagues can give me some recommendations. Thank you for sharing your advice and personal experience
Also, it's much easier getting someone to do it whilst you're still in the UK.

Nagging them from a different time zone when you don't work with them anymore isn't as effective .