Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

How do we know if the spouse can attend the Immigration Interview with the applicant

Wikiposts

How do we know if the spouse can attend the Immigration Interview with the applicant

Old Nov 25th 2009, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

katnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to all
Default How do we know if the spouse can attend the Immigration Interview with the applicant

We haven't received a letter for my husband's interview, we only found out one was scheduled by phoning the contact service and then getting the email and reference number from them in order to contact the Embassy to reschedule the interview.

But now I'm wondering if I can attend as well. I remember on the DS2001 checklist it asked for the first name of the spouse and I put my name but since we haven't received a letter I don't know if I've been included to attend.

Should we email them using the same reference number we emailed about rescheduling the appointment or do we have to get a new reference number from the new request.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 1:29 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do we know if the spouse can attend the Immigration Interview with the applic

Oh yay -- I've always wanted to provide a link to this post, and now I finally can!

Interview report + diagrams for future reference
- by h0tr0dder_uk (aka Pete)

From Pete's diagram of the London Consulate, you can see that the waiting area is within view of the bank teller-like booths where the visa interviews are done. So, assuming nothing has changed, you should be able to accompany your husband to the Consulate, even if you have to wait in the seating area and can't be involved directly in the interview itself. Some people have reported having their accompanying spouses/fiance(e)s invited to join the interview, although to be fair I don't know how recently this has occurred. Hopefully someone else can confirm this.

~ Jenney
Old Nov 26th 2009, 5:16 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do we know if the spouse can attend the Immigration Interview with the applic

Our interview was on October 8th of this year.

We had put my name on the DS-2001. When we arrived at the embassy the person who we spoke to outside (and showed her DH's appointment letter) she put my name on his letter and said it was "just in case".

At the first interview window, DH did the talking and I was there but was never asked anything directly. I mostly handed over the papers that the lady was asking for.

At the second interview window my role was much more active. The interviewer asked some questions to me, some to DH and some to both of us. I made sure not to answer anything that was clearly being directed only to DH.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katnap8
We haven't received a letter for my husband's interview..... I'm wondering if I can attend as well. I remember on the DS2001 checklist it asked for the first name of the spouse and I put my name
If you ticked the box on page two of the DS2001 that indicated that the spouse would be there, and put your name in, then you should be fine. This gets you put on the embassy's daily list of scheduled persons to be allowed into the embassy. They check against this list before you get into the embassy so if you aren't on the list you won't even get into the building.

Just don't forget your passport! You can't get in without accpetable ID.