Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

How do we do it? Brit wanting to marry a yank and move there.

How do we do it? Brit wanting to marry a yank and move there.

Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

seansevern is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do we do it? Brit wanting to marry a yank and move there.

Dear Happy Forum Helpers!

I am a British citizen and my wife to-be is from the US.

At the moment she is working in the US and I am living in the UK.

What is the quickest way for me to marry her and move to the US? How long will it take before I can move to the US and roughly how much will it cost?

I am new to all of the this...........

Thank you for your time and any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Sean
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:13 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do we do it? Brit wanting to marry a yank and move there.

Have you met in person? (this is a requirement)

Do you have strong feelings about where you want to marry (US, UK, elsewhere)?

Can you afford to lose your income (you say you are "living" in the UK) and can your wife afford to support you? (assuming she has no children, does she make over $30k USD per year)?

The cost is always substantial but would include getting you here (and possibly trips back and forth), moving your stuff, and paying the immigration fees, not to mention the cost of a wedding. The immigration fee schedule is online.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:20 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

You
Any criminal record?
Any arrests/cautions by Mr. Plod?
Any communicable diseases?
Any other health problems?
Any previous visa violations?
Any previous visas to the US?

Her
Any income?

You or Her
Any kids?
Any capital?
Any previous marriages
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:20 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Sean, my kindest advice at this hour of the day is: Please read at least the front page of the forum and pick out one of the three or four current threads on the topic.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Have you met in person? (this is a requirement)

Do you have strong feelings about where you want to marry (US, UK, elsewhere)?

Can you afford to lose your income (you say you are "living" in the UK) and can your wife afford to support you? (assuming she has no children, does she make over $30k USD per year)?

The cost is always substantial but would include getting you here (and possibly trips back and forth), moving your stuff, and paying the immigration fees, not to mention the cost of a wedding. The immigration fee schedule is online.
thank you for your fast reply. appreciate it.

we have been together 5 years but have been living outside of the states.

don't mind where we marry - the quickest would be the best place.

my wife to be earns over $30 K and I've got enough savings to alow me not to work for a year.

what would be the best route to go?

Thank you for your time.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:22 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seansevern
thank you for your fast reply. appreciate it.

we have been together 5 years but have been living outside of the states.

don't mind where we marry - the quickest would be the best place.

my wife to be earns over $30 K and I've got enough savings to alow me not to work for a year.

what would be the best route to go?

Thank you for your time.
Dang. Should'a gotten yourselves organized before she moved back.
What country?
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You
Any criminal record?

Her
Any income?

You or Her
Any kids?
Any capital?
Any previous marriages
You
Any criminal record?

NO TO ALL OF THE ABOVE
Her
Any income?

$65K

You or Her
Any kids?
Any capital?
Any previous marriages

NO KIDS. SHE HAS GOT CAPITAL. NO PREVIOUS MARRIAGES.

Thank your for your reply.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
Dang. Should'a gotten yourselves organized before she moved back.
What country?
I'm from the UK.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:26 pm

I'm from the UK.
Yes, but is that where she was living for the past 5 years? If so, what visa?

If other country, which one and what type of visa?
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

Yes, but is that where she was living for the past 5 years? If so, what visa?

If other country, which one and what type of visa?
We lived in Thailand for two years and both held non immigrant b visas. She lived in the UK for a year while i did my masters (she has a greek passport which allowed her to do this easily). I've visited the states and stayed with her family for 5 months in total on 3 occasions. We have travelled for the remaining amount of time.

Thank you for your interest and help.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:30 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

You
Any criminal record?

NO TO ALL OF THE ABOVE
Her
Any income?

$65K

You or Her
Any kids?
Any capital?
Any previous marriages

NO KIDS. SHE HAS GOT CAPITAL. NO PREVIOUS MARRIAGES.

Thank your for your reply.
You're good to go then! Always best to ask these questions at the outset since they can make a big difference to your plans. You wouldn't believe the number of people we've had on here where these little details have filtered through slowly after a hundred or so posts and messed up the whole line of collective reasoning. I think we should just ask at the beginning before USCIS does.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:33 pm

We lived in Thailand for two years and both held non immigrant b visas. She lived in the UK for a year while i did my masters (she has a greek passport which allowed her to do this easily). I've visited the states and stayed with her family for 5 months in total on 3 occasions. We have travelled for the remaining amount of time.

Thank you for your interest and help.
OK, well while that does invite a lot of tempting speculation about filing overseas, it's probably moot at this point.

I revert to my first post in the thread; have a look at the several current topics discussing your different options and choose your priorities;

Quick to get here but slow to start working
Fast to get married but slow to move here (but can work immediately when you do)

Basically, it is not going to happen any faster than 6-8 months.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You're good to go then! Always best to ask these questions at the outset since they can make a big difference to your plans. You wouldn't believe the number of people we've had on here where these little details have filtered through slowly after a hundred or so posts and messed up the whole line of collective reasoning. I think we should just ask at the beginning before USCIS does.
Your 'good to go' fills me with optimisum. What is the best path for us to follow given our situation?
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:37 pm
Septicity

Your 'good to go' fills me with optimisum. What is the best path for us to follow given our situation?
If I told you that, I'd have to kill you. (Or rather Rete'd kill me!) Read the forum thoroughly and make your choice only when you're fully informed. The answer's out there somewhere.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

OK, well while that does invite a lot of tempting speculation about filing overseas, it's probably moot at this point.

I revert to my first post in the thread; have a look at the several current topics discussing your different options and choose your priorities;

Quick to get here but slow to start working
Fast to get married but slow to move here (but can work immediately when you do)

Basically, it is not going to happen any faster than 6-8 months.
Thank you.

"Quick to get here but slow to start working" That would be best in this case.

The K1 visa seems the best way to go. Do you think I could move there within 4 months but start working after this?

Thank you again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.