Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

how to divorce when outside US?

how to divorce when outside US?

Old Sep 26th 2001, 8:39 am
Aisha

Hi all I guess this is slightly off topic, but I am hoping someone here can help me.

I am an American citizen married to a non citizen (Iranian), we were married in CA.
Since then (2+ years) we have been outside of the country, and dont plan on ever
living in the USA. We would like to nullify or divorce in the USA as we want to marry
according to another countries law since we dont wish to stay in the US.

How can we do this when we are not in the USA?

Also my husband cannot travel to the US because he needs a visa and they will not
give him a visa, he must apply for a green card, but we dont want the green card, as
we dont want to live in the USA.

could someone give me some advice??

thanks so much Aisha

Old Sep 26th 2001, 12:17 pm
Betastar

Why divorce? I don't get it. A marriage in the US is internationally recognized, and
if its not recognized in the country you're currently living in, why not just have a
2nd ceremony rather than having to go through the trouble of a divorce first?

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 26th 2001, 3:23 pm
Michael Voight

Aisha wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

You can NOT get divorced in the US unless one of you resides here for some period
of time. What prevents you from getting divorced in the country you live in or
another country?

I don't understand what you mean by marrying by another country's law. Generally, a
marriage in one country is recognized by most other countries.

Michael

Old Sep 27th 2001, 12:53 am
Onigiri

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
If that particular country does not recognize the US marriage, then you can marry in
that country as if you had never married before. Couldn't you ? However, if you can
produce a certified marriage certificate most countries would recognize that marriage
as legal for the purposes of civil cohabitation and benefits under the applicable
family law of that nation.
    >
    >
    >
You have to post WHERE you are at the moment. Marriage and divorce are (usually)
judicial processes in most countries and they require a status of residency. So, post
a response to this question.

>
    >
    >
Now I can see how a divorce could be useful to you. As a person not related to a US
citizen and therfore not eligible for immediate relative immigration benefit, he can
get a visitor's visa to visit your folks. Good idea !!

>
Post where you are a resident, it will make it easier to post advice.

Old Sep 27th 2001, 6:15 am
Aisha

"Onigiri" <[email protected]>

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

We want to move and live in Iran. They do accept the US marriage, but we have to send
ALL of our doctuments (passports, birth certificates) to the Iranian embassy in the
USA, and then after they go through some process we can register it in Iran. Also I
have two passports (Iranian and American) and two totally different names (yes my
parents are strange) so as I got married on my American passport, it will be
difficult for me to register with my Iranian name. We do plan to get married again in
Iran, but we need the divorce for my husband so he can get a regular visa.

>
    >
    >

I am currently in India, but plan to live in around one month. We lived in CA about
one month after our marriage, since then we have been in Europe, Asia, etc. I did
live in CA 18 years before the marriage, if that helps any.

>
    >
    >

That is exactly it Thanks a lot Aisha

Old Sep 27th 2001, 6:18 am
Aisha

Michael Voight <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >

How long? Is there ANY possible way to divorce, or nullify this american marriage if
I never live in the US again?

Thanks a lot Aisha

Old Sep 27th 2001, 6:49 am
Just Joined

DOMIN0E is an unknown quantity at this point

So why get a divorce at all? Is this some kind of religious thing that is obviously important to you?

Originally posted by Aisha
Hi all I guess this is slightly off topic, but I am hoping someone here can help me.

I am an American citizen married to a non citizen (Iranian), we were married in CA.
Since then (2+ years) we have been outside of the country, and dont plan on ever
living in the USA. We would like to nullify or divorce in the USA as we want to marry
according to another countries law since we dont wish to stay in the US.

How can we do this when we are not in the USA?

Also my husband cannot travel to the US because he needs a visa and they will not
give him a visa, he must apply for a green card, but we dont want the green card, as
we dont want to live in the USA.

could someone give me some advice??

thanks so much Aisha
Old Sep 27th 2001, 7:14 am
Michael Voight

Aisha wrote:
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > You can NOT get divorced in the US unless one of you resides here for some period[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > of time.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 27th 2001, 7:24 am
Michael Voight

DOMIN0E wrote:
    >
    >
    >

It sounds like she wants the divorce so he can get a visa to visit the US. But, she
doesn't want to come to the US to get the divorce. So, they are free to get a divorce
in any other country.

Even after the divorce, he is not guaranteed entry into the US as a visitor. I don't
think it is that simple to get a tourist visa if you are Iranian and single.

Michael

Old Sep 27th 2001, 12:02 pm
Betastar

>
    >

They're talking about re-marrying in Iran, I thought. In which case he's still the
spouse of a US citizen.

Go figure.

Betastar

Old Sep 28th 2001, 12:29 pm
Onigiri

>
If you have satisfied residency requirements in India, then you can get a divorce in
India. Lawyers are not that expensive there, especially those practising family law
in big cities. Call one of them and find out if you qualify. You may even be able to
get an Islamic religious divorce in India.

Old Oct 2nd 2001, 9:13 am
Aisha

"Onigiri" <[email protected]>

>
    >
    >
    >

Thank you very much for your help! I had heard conflictng advice so I was not sure
what was possible.

take care Aisha

Old Oct 2nd 2001, 5:55 pm
Michael Voight

Aisha wrote:
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > If you have satisfied residency requirements in India, then you can get a divorce[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > in India. Lawyers are not that expensive there, especially those practising[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > family law in big cities. Call one of them and find out if you qualify. You may[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > even be able to get an Islamic religious divorce in India.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >

You are living in India, but did not ask anyone about divorcing there??

Old Oct 2nd 2001, 10:23 pm
Rita

I thought they were living in Iran.

Michael Voight <[email protected]>
[usenetquote2]> > > If you have satisfied residency requirements in India, then you can get a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > divorce in India. Lawyers are not that expensive there, especially those[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > practising family law in big cities. Call one of them and find out if you[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > qualify. You may even be able to get an Islamic religious divorce in India.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thank you very much for your help! I had heard conflictng advice so I was not[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > sure what was possible.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >

Old Oct 2nd 2001, 11:55 pm
Onigiri

>
In response to "where are you living now?" so that we can find out where she would
qualify to seek a divorce, speaking residency-wise, she posted on 9-27 that she is
living in India.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.