Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

How did you meet the love of your life?

How did you meet the love of your life?

Old Oct 7th 2003, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Chessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud of
Default OT: How did you meet the love of your life?

After browsing through this board, I've become fascinated with how all these far-flung romances started. I know some people used the Internet, some were from vacations, or through the military, etc...

I'll start: My fiance and I met on an on-line game, struck up a conversation and became fascinated with each other. He helped me through some rough times, and we fell in love, then met in person and it was fireworks

If BCIS gets its ducks in a row, we plan to be married on the 2-year anniversary of that day he said hello to me in a game from 5,000 miles away
Old Oct 7th 2003, 3:36 pm
At last in Josh's arms =)

JoshsCarole is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How did you meet the love of your life?

I met my husband in a chatroom website called Paddynet which doesn't exist anymore. He was online at the same time as me, and I happened to read his profile where he was saying "Ask me about the mystery of the universe." So I did! And I never go an explanation about either the mystery of the universe or the mystery of falling madly in love with somebody 5000 miles away...
Old Oct 7th 2003, 3:41 pm

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Great subject!

I was having a change of heart with my career path, so I decided to get some computer experience at the local library. I'd also always been curious about how other cultures live, so when I took a break from my self-teaching, I decided to try and find a pen pal.

I went on one site, and wrote an email to one guy who introduced himself as Corey. I thought he looked really cute, and by what he wrote about himself, he seemed so nice. I really didn't think he'd write back, as I didn't know how current his profile was. I waited patiently for a reply, and a couple of days later, I got one!!!!!!

I called him on the phone a few weeks after we started emailing each other, and we were both so nervous, but we ended up chatting for almost 4 hours!!! We were inseperable after that, and when I got a computer in my flat, he bought me a web cam! Since the day I set that up, we spent every night talking to each other.

In August 2002, I went to see him in Florida. As neither of us could get much time off work, we only had 3 days together. It was so great, I didn't want to go home. When I did have to, though, he saw me off at the train station, and I cried so hard on the train, everyone was looking at me like I was demented.

After I got back to the UK, I felt empty, and we didn't want to have to go through the seperation ever again. We started the K1 process, I came to live here in January, and on his birthday this year, I got down on one knee and proposed to him properly. He looked all sheepish and shy, and then accepted!

This process is definitely a serious test of our relationship, but in a good way. The distance makes you appreciate what you really have when you're no longer apart. I was looking for a pen pal, and I found the love of my life!!!!

Kate. xxxxxxx

Last edited by katesuiter1; Oct 7th 2003 at 3:47 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

We met online shortly after Sept 11th, when I was pointing out to various USC in a room that terrorism di not begin on Sept 11th. And that we had been bombed in Warrington by US backed ira scum.

She was the only one who new what I was on about & we just clicked !
Old Oct 7th 2003, 3:59 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

I have been living in the States since I was 11 (due to my dad having gotten a job here) and I met my love through a mutual friend (my school mate and his neighbor). When I first met him I never, ever thought I would be together with him. We were friends at first for half a year before all of a sudden sparks started flying on Thanksgiving night in 1999. Needless to say, nearly 4 years later, 3 years of having been engaged, and 3 years of living an ocean apart (because I went off to University in London) we are still together and as crazy about one another as ever.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

leebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really nice

I met my fiancee (wife after this sunday!!!) through an online game too.. we both play a mmorpg called Asherons Call.. one day through some gaming boards I met up with her for a trade she was doing .. we said hi and chatted a little and parted and didnt think anything more of it... a year and a half later we started bumping into each other all over the place in the game... and started spending hours and hours just chatting ingame.. then we exchanged email addresses and phone numbers.. I rang her abouta week later, and we were on the phone for about 2 hrs.. a month after that she was in Paris with her family so I went over from the UK and met them.. the second we met the sparks just flew.. everyone she was there with saw it and were already asking when we would be married =P From the day I got back from Paris we spoke every single day on teh phone for hours and email and AIM... I came out to DC in January and March, proposed just as I was about to leave in March, came back in May on VWP for 10 days, then moved here on 8/8 forever =) Funny thing is the first time we spoke on the phone one part of the conversation was how neither of us were the marrying type and would never marry... 9 months later we will be and I love her more than anything in the world
Old Oct 7th 2003, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Chessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud of

leebarton,

Our game was/is Dark Ages of Camelot.

Something about a knight in shining armor protecting a lady that just gives it that extra romantic flair, I guess

And congrats on your upcoming wedding this Sunday, wow, you must be excited!
Old Oct 7th 2003, 4:30 pm
Sarahstokesuk

Hi,

I met my fiance (who will be my husband on Friday!!) when I came from the UK to
work at a summer camp in Pennsylvania back in 1999. I was office staff, he was
the DJ! It was a Jewish camp, and Stu is Jewish, so you can imagine his
parents' delight when, after sending him to this camp for 9 years, he finally
brings home the non-Jewish English girl! We have been flying back and forth
for over four years now, fortunately I am a teacher so I had lots of holiday
time to use, and Stu came to the UK nine times too! Now I am in the US on the
K-1 visa, everything has worked out beautifully, we certainly didn't rush into
anything and we are so, so happy. I am going to pick my family up from the
airport in just a couple of hours as they are coming for the wedding, I am
soooo excited! Now I just have to finish off those bloody AOS forms.....!

Love to all,
Sarah

Old Oct 7th 2003, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

MarDae will become famous soon enough
Default Re: OT: How did you meet the love of your life?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chessiet
After browsing through this board, I've become fascinated with how all these far-flung romances started. I know some people used the Internet, some were from vacations, or through the military, etc...

I love this topic!

We met 3 years ago when he was here on a J1 visa. We were living in the same apartment complex and my outgoing roommate invited he and a few other guys over to our apartment for chocolate chip cookies and X-Files. My fiance is a chocoholic so he convinced the guys to come over. We met and basically the rest is history. We've gone through multiple visits and I lived with he and his family in Ireland for five months. During his last vist (after 9 months apart) we decided that we never wanted to be apart for that length of time again. He bought the mounting (I've been in love with it forever, I don't really care about the stone) for my ring (we didn't have time to get it fitted with the diamond because of when he was leaving) and filled out all of the K1 paper work. We're "officially" getting engaged when I go visit him in November although we've told both of our families of our engagement...we're holding off on telling friends until I have the ring and our petition's been approved (hopefully, GO VSC!).

Congratulations to everyone on this news group. Regardless of our waits I have plenty of single friends who've been looking for love in all the wrong places who would love to be in our shoes. The one thing that pretty much all of us have in common is that we've found love which makes us a very lucky (all be it patient) group.

MarDae
Old Oct 7th 2003, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I met my wife through a Las Vegas message board, where we were both moderators. I had a trip planned for new years in 2000/01 and as she was a big Vegas junkie like myself and only lived 45 minutes away by plane, I asked her if she wanted to come along to. She said yes, we clicked the minute we met, and 1 year 10 months from our first meeting, we were happily married.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 4:39 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Awwww, I'm excited for you couples getting married this weekend! I hope you will have the most beautiful and fun weddings you culd have asked for.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

tenni is an unknown quantity at this point

Fun topic!!

For us, it all began when we went rock climbing on a night out after work with some friends. As fate would have it, we became belay partners! For two weeks, we spent almost every day together. After a night of rollerblading in an empty parking lot, we enjoyed our first nice quiet date-like dinner at TACO BELL! Then my husband had to go back to Germany to finish school, as he was at the end of his J1 visa.

A little concerned with the 5000 miles between us, we decided to "go with the flow" and see where this takes us.

About a couple months in, we just knew.

About a year and a half in, we got married!
Old Oct 7th 2003, 4:52 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Chessiet

I'll start: My fiance and I met on an on-line game, struck up a conversation and became fascinated with each other. He helped me through some rough times, and we fell in love, then met in person and it was fireworks

If BCIS gets its ducks in a row, we plan to be married on the 2-year anniversary of that day he said hello to me in a game from 5,000 miles away
This is a really romantic post. I love it.

We were introduced by his sister. She and her husband have lived in the U.S. for years and she is a dear friend of mine. She had asked me off and on about meeting her brother and I always resisted. One day, after she came back from holliday in Morocco, she was showing me the pictures of her and her sisters at a wedding they went to and I said something like ....... "These women all look like movie stars, are the men as handsome as the women are beautiful?".......... OMG she got so excited and said "Why do you think you'd like to meet a Moroccan man??!!" I was in a strange mood that day I guess because I said "If they look like that I do." Well she ran upstairs to find a picture of her brother. I was actually surprised to see he was fair complected and his hair was sort of a light brown (what little hair he has left LOL). The rest of the family has thick black hair and olive skin. Anyway, there was something about his eyes, they were big and kind of sleepy and thoughtful. I said "OK, you can give him my address." The rest is history, we started with snail mail, then e-mail, then chats, then phone calls, then traveling to see each other, engagement, then marriage.

Leslie
Old Oct 7th 2003, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

NevAnna is an unknown quantity at this point

I met my husband through an online game called Everquest about 3 years ago. I had a few friends already playing and so I decided to join them. My husband just happened to be in the same guild as my friends and we instantly became gaming buddies. We carried on our online friendship for a year and a half before we decided he should be adventurous and visit me in the US It wasn't unusual to meet people from this game, as I had met a few people after finding out they lived in the same area as I. It was a bit unusual to meet someone from thousands of miles away, but we had been such great friends online we just had to meet! There was a great deal of trust between us, as we got to know each other so well way before meeting face to face. We've been the best of friends and I don't know how I ever got along without him. We all have a special story and it warms my heart to know so many of us have found love from a great distance
Old Oct 7th 2003, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Aliluv is an unknown quantity at this point

My Husabnd and I met at a local Oktoberfest in Southern California.

I went with my sister and some friends, My husband then a stranger was just looking at me with the biggest grin he walked by looked but did not speak. Well after I had a beer or 2 my friends said "lets go find your boyfriend". We were all surprised when we learned he was German, he was visiting his brother on a B2 Visa and was going home in 1 month. We spent all of our time together.

He came back 5 months later for 6 months and we dated the whole time. He would go back and fourth. The last time he came over April 2002 we up and decided to get married. He hasn't been back home yet but we are going for the month of Dec.

The funniest part of this story is before I left to go out that night my Grandmother said "don't meet any German men" and when I got home that night she told me I didn't listen to her because a German guy had just called for me! He said he knew of the 3 day rule but couldn't wait to here from me.

We have been happily married since July 2002 and he got his greencard in June 2003!

Best of luck to everyone!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.