Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

A Home Visit from the Cairo Consulate!!

Wikiposts

A Home Visit from the Cairo Consulate!!

Old Feb 13th 2004, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Khadija is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A Home Visit from the Cairo Consulate!!

Well, I guess the Consulate is working on our case but I'm not sure just what to make of this latest development.

An Egyptian from the Consulate has visited our home while my husband was out at work (for those of you following our case, my DH got his old job back on Tue) and this woman stated she was there to investigate some issues about your marrage , such as my family's opinion about the situation , checking some dates, etc..... According to my husband, Abdo, he told me that she left after meeting his familiy and appeared to be satisfied ( at least that is what he was told by his family).

Question:

a) Has anyone out there had a similar experience? If so, what was the outcome?

b) What is your advice regarding whether or not my contacting the Consulate for clarification/status. Help? Hurt?

We have nothing to hide so, in a sense, should just take this in stride. However, as it's so personal, one can't help but feel a bit violated, humiliated and frustrated.

??????????

Patty Khadijah
Old Feb 13th 2004, 2:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A Home Visit from the Cairo Consulate!!

I can see how that would be frustrating. Ultimately though this can only be a good thing (per the results). If this added to the validity of your case (and the embassy was looking for extra validity) then you are in better shape.

It does however seems really nasty that they dug so deep.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 2:59 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Khadija
Well, I guess the Consulate is working on our case but I'm not sure just what to make of this latest development.

An Egyptian from the Consulate has visited our home while my husband was out at work (for those of you following our case, my DH got his old job back on Tue) and this woman stated she was there to investigate some issues about your marrage , such as my family's opinion about the situation , checking some dates, etc..... According to my husband, Abdo, he told me that she left after meeting his familiy and appeared to be satisfied ( at least that is what he was told by his family).

Question:

b) What is your advice regarding whether or not my contacting the Consulate for clarification/status. Help? Hurt?

We have nothing to hide so, in a sense, should just take this in stride. However, as it's so personal, one can't help but feel a bit violated, humiliated and frustrated.

??????????

Patty Khadijah
Patty:

Make sure that everyone who spoke to that investigator makes dated notes NOW of PRECISELY what what was asked by the investigator and who and precisely what responses were made. Make notes of exactly where these conversations took place. If they can -- do it in "Q&A" format

You may want to hire a lawyer who can make inquiry with these notes in hand BEFORE a report is made to the consular section.

I don't have experience with Cairo, but I've had experience with other investigatory sectoins.

Don't hestitate.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 3:03 am
Queen of the Obvious

KimJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Patty -

I've been following your case and can only imagine how frustrated you must be. I suppose I would look as this positively. First, at least they are actually DOING something to finish your case. Second, although one can never tell if the 'satisfied' look on the woman's face actually meant, I wouldn't worry as long as you are sure of your husbands families feelings of the two of you.

Think positively! More cases are approved than denied!

PS - glad to hear he got his job back. My husband gave his notice at work already and it looks as though he'll be out of work and a place to live (his own place, anyway) before processing is complete. Confirmation that suggestions made on this board are sometimes very good ones!

Good luck!
Kim
Old Feb 13th 2004, 3:06 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey that must have been a real heart stopper. Surely there can't be anything more to hold you up now.

Very best wishes.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Pallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura about

I just want to second Folinskyinla's advice. Time will blur their memories and fresh is best. You might be surprised at the version of events that makes it back to the consular section. I am hoping that no one made an offhand comment that could be taken out of context. Wishing you really good luck, keep faith and breathe deeply.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

egipto26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Khadijah,
I didn't have this experience but I did meet someone online last year who had an Egypt consulate employee visit her spouse's parents home to ask questions sometime after the interview. It turns out in this case that the father did not know his son had an American wife; he told the consulate employee that his son was married to an Egyptian woman so he obviously didn't get the visa.

In your case, I don't think you should worry at all since his family knows about your relationship . I'm sure that they will send you a positive decision soon and that this is maybe the last step. How long was the person there for? I hope you can get more details about what went on soon. My husband's visa was approved yesterday. About 2 weeks bf getting the visa a woman from the consulate called him on his mobile to ask questions such as "have you ever traveled outside of Egypt" and "have you ever been arrested?" My husband answered the questions. He has a clean record and no travel outside Egypt. He said the woman was polite and just said to wait for the security clearance. So I am sure that the home visit was the last step bf making their final decision. Good luck and please keep us updated!

Question:

??????????

Patty Khadijah
Old Feb 13th 2004, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Khadija is an unknown quantity at this point

Heart-stopper is putting it mildly. We sent them tons of photos, copies of my passport with the visa entry/exit stamps along with boarding passes, a video of us at his sister's engagement and wedding parties (2 years apart and you can tell by the length of my hair that some time had elapsed), personal letters, phone bills, copies of adding him to my health/life insurance, copies of our bank statement and a letter from the bank noting when he'd been added to the account. If we had it, we submitted it! This must all tie back to that ConOff who spoke with my husband the day of his interview who, without looking at any of the evidence at that point, made up her mind that we couldn't possibly have a bona fide marriage simply because he asked to have his interview in Arabic. It was she who made the point to my husband that if he had to have the interview in Arabic - how could we possibly be really married? I thought the reams of evidence we subsequently sent would have settled that question but obviously not. INSHAALLAH the home visit has put these questions to rest.

Not sure what to do right now. Contact the Consulate? My Senator? I can't afford an attorney - while my income is good, my savings are long gone with the expense of this long-distance relationship so right now we have enough to pay the bills and live but nothing extra. Advice welcome and appreciated.

Patty Khadijah

Originally posted by sibsie
Blimey that must have been a real heart stopper. Surely there can't be anything more to hold you up now.

Very best wishes.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 5:08 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Question:

??????????

Patty Khadijah
Hey Patty!!

It is good to hear from you
I didn't have that experience but I wish you nothing but the best, let us know about every little detail ok?
PRAYING FOR YOU!!!!
(((Patty)))) here is a hug for ya
Old Feb 13th 2004, 5:26 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what to do right now. Contact the Consulate? My Senator? I can't afford an attorney - while my income is good, my savings are long gone with the expense of this long-distance relationship so right now we have enough to pay the bills and live but nothing extra. Advice welcome and appreciated.

Patty Khadijah
Is there any way you can speak to the person who did the home visit directly, to find out exactly what the purpose was and to maybe suggest that they've now exhausted all options to prove your marriage isn't genuine and have failed?
Old Feb 13th 2004, 6:15 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

This must all tie back to that ConOff who spoke with my husband the day of his interview who, without looking at any of the evidence at that point, made up her mind that we couldn't possibly have a bona fide marriage simply because he asked to have his interview in Arabic. It was she who made the point to my husband that if he had to have the interview in Arabic - how could we possibly be really married?
Patty Khadijah
What hogwash. How would the ConOff know that the US spouse didn't speak Arabic?

Personally I wouldn't trust them further than I could throw them and would be watching them like a hawk.

In any dealings with them though I'd be innocent and unaware (my reasoning says that if they sense any suspicion of them that they'd figure someone had something to hide).

Even if you can't afford an attorney Patty I'd take as much of Mr F's advice as I could. Perhaps you could even get some pro-bono help from a group (like the lady on another thread who is having problems with what she feels to be discrimination against her fiance in her gaining custody for her grandchild?).

Good luck.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 7:21 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Patty,

Just wanted to pop in and lend moral support. Believe me, everything I see happening to you, I can see happening to me, and it's not pretty :-( I agree with the thinking of getting everything noted down by your in-laws quickly, before any of it gets fuzzy.

HUGS!!
Rene
Old Feb 13th 2004, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

bluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud of

Hi Patty,
Keep your chin up and keep your guard up too. It is good that you are heaing movement on your case and my GUESS is that they are looking for any nugget (no matter how insignificant) they can hang their hat on to not approve the visa. You already know my situation and perhaps my opinions are severely colored by it, but it does show that they don't need much of a reason (I think reason really is too strong of a word here, perhaps excuse is better) to stop it cold.

I hesitate to offer much advice since I've only managed to mangle my own situation but I offer you as much comfort and reassurance as possible. We are behind you 1000% and wish you both only the best.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Alicia&Driss is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Patty,
Just got here and read what has been going on.....Im shocked at how they came to his house. I dont really know what to say. I totally understand how you are feeling. But my advise is worthless. Just know you are in my prayers and thoughts. And anytime you need to talk pm me or shoot me an email.
Love and prayers, Alicia

Maybe, Hopefully, Inshallah this is the last steps before they will give him his visa.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 1:33 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Patty Khadijah
I can understand how panicked you must be feeling I have heard of this kind of thing happening with people coming through the Mumbai Consulate in India, where administrative reviews and all manner of delaying tactics used to be very commonplace. But I haven't heard of outright denials even in Mumbai, if that's any comfort!!
Mumbai has obviously had several visa fraud cases in the past and hence the extreme precautions, I think. It looks like the same sort of thing is now happening in Egypt (Cairo consulate??). It kind of sucks, I know. I am truly sorry to hear about what you are and fiance are going through.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.