Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Holy Crap My Aos Appointment Letter Came!!!!

Wikiposts

Holy Crap My Aos Appointment Letter Came!!!!

Old Aug 4th 2004, 4:21 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holy Crap My Aos Appointment Letter Came!!!!

Originally posted by inquisitive40
Ok, then I am presuming what USCIS are looking for, is to clarify the income and if possible back it up with a more up to date tax returns.
Not sure on this one, maybe some of the "elders" in the forum could clarify Andrea's best course of action
Patrick
They don't have more up to date tax returns. They used 2003, 2002, and 2001 on their I-864 that they submitted a few months ago. If they do a new I-864, they will use the same tax return years.

I think what happened before, is that even though he was making enough on his own in 2004, they used a co-sponsor, thinking that his 2003 return didn't show him earning enough...which they probably didn't need to do.

As I see it, they have a few choices....
1. Don't do a new updated one, since it's only been a few months and nothing has changed since then. Use the same one to show at the interview.

2. Do a new one which is just like the one they just did, using co-sponsors just in case, again. But since nothing has changed, it's a repeat effort.

3. Do a new one without the co-sponsors, just based on the sponsor's current income (which is probably what they could have done before also, and just didn't realize it).

I would do number 1, personally

Rene
Old Aug 4th 2004, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Noorah101
They don't have more up to date tax returns. They used 2003, 2002, and 2001 on their I-864 that they submitted a few months ago. If they do a new I-864, they will use the same tax return years.

I think what happened before, is that even though he was making enough on his own in 2004, they used a co-sponsor, thinking that his 2003 return didn't show him earning enough...which they probably didn't need to do.

1. Don't do a new updated one, since it's only been a few months and nothing has changed since then. Use the same one to show at the interview.

2. Do a new one which is just like the one they just did, using co-sponsors just in case, again. But since nothing has changed, it's a repeat effort.

3. Do a new one without the co-sponsors, just based on the sponsor's current income (which is probably what they could have done before also, and just didn't realize it).

Rene
Haha we probably should do #1, but I think we're gonna go for #2, just in case. Overkill is better than not being prepared I guess. Plus, the letter asks for more stuff than the I-864 instructions do. It asks for the W2s, tax returns, AND a certified IRS printout (I still don't know what that is)...
Am I being way too paranoid?
Old Aug 4th 2004, 4:31 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

Rene

OPTION 4
Do a new I-864 with just his income on it, then also have the co-sponsor I-864 just in case they are asked at the interview.
Seems that is where the interviewer might ask for additional support if he currently makes enough money.
Patrick
Old Aug 4th 2004, 4:33 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

Originally posted by andrea874
Haha we probably should do #1, but I think we're gonna go for #2, just in case. Overkill is better than not being prepared I guess. Plus, the letter asks for more stuff than the I-864 instructions do. It asks for the W2s, tax returns, AND a certified IRS printout (I still don't know what that is)...
W2s are normally only required with a joint tax return? Also his W2s would only reflect what is already in the 2003 tax returns.
Are his taxes filed jointly with you?
Patrick
Old Aug 4th 2004, 4:34 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by andrea874
hehehe....don't worry....paranoid is good. It makes you look at all the details and options. I'm paranoid too. Join the club.

For the IRS printout, call the IRS 800 number (from their website), and you can request the tax years you want transcripts of. They will be mailed to you in about 10 days. It's free....one of the few things that are free in the world! lol

Rene
Old Aug 4th 2004, 4:36 am

W2s are normally only required with a joint tax return? Also his W2s would only reflect what is already in the 2003 tax returns.
Are his taxes filed jointly with you?
Patrick
Patrick,

I receive W-2s and I have never filed joint tax returns. W2s are the statements your employer gives you at the end of the tax year to show what you've earned, for tax purposes....whether single or joint.

Also, your Option 4 sounds a heck of a lot like my Option 2. LOL

Are we all on different wavelengths today or what??

Rene
Old Aug 4th 2004, 4:41 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

Patrick,

I receive W-2s and I have never filed joint tax returns. W2s are the statements your employer gives you at the end of the tax year to show what you've earned, for tax purposes....whether single or joint.

Also, your Option 4 sounds a heck of a lot like my Option 2. LOL

Are we all on different wavelengths today or what??

Rene
What I meant about W2s was that USCIS normally don't require them unless you file a joint tax return and then the W2s work as evidence of your part of the tax return.
As far as OPTIONS 4 ( )what I was thinking was that if the I-864 is current for the co-sponsor, maybe they can just bring that one with them to the interview?
Patrick
Old Aug 4th 2004, 4:44 am

What I meant about W2s was that USCIS normally don't require them unless you file a joint tax return and then the W2s work as evidence of your part of the tax return.
As far as OPTIONS 4 ( )what I was thinking was that if the I-864 is current for the co-sponsor, maybe they can just bring that one with them to the interview?
Patrick
I seeeeeee. I don't know...my 3 years of W-2s were required for the I-134 Affidavit of Support for my husband's K1 interview. So I just assumed they would also be required for the I-864 for his AOS interview as well, even though they may or may not be joint returns.

Back on the same wavelength, good! lol

Rene
Old Aug 4th 2004, 4:47 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

Taken direct from Visa Journey:

6.11.2)...How will we know when the interview is scheduled? What *evidence* do we need to take?
A..(newsgroup)..Wow!! On Friday 7/10 We received our adjustment of status interview notice in the Mail from the Albany, NY USCIS (INS) office. One month after filing the I-485. The Appointment is for October 27th at 10Am. A list of things to be brought was included.

1. Beneficiaries passport and I-94
2. current personal ID for both parties
3. copies of the birth certificates of any children born to us. ( I hope they mean as a result of this union )
4. copies of federal,and state income tax returns for each year, or portion thereof, during which petitioner and beneficiary have been married.
5. copies of lease or mortgage contracts showing joint occupancy.
6. evidence of any joint bank accounts, charge accounts etc.
7. copies of any life insurance and/or health insurance policies of petitioner and beneficiary
8. copies of wills and/or power of attorneys
9. Statements from petitioners and/or beneficiaries employer(s) preferable on company stationary, Indicating the marital status claimed, dependants claimed and whom to notify in case of emergency.
10. sworn statements from at least two persons, attesting to the length of time petitioner and beneficiary have been residing together in Marital Union.
11. Any other evidence which would tend to establish the existence of a bona fide marital relationship.

Patrick
Old Aug 4th 2004, 4:57 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I seeeeeee. I don't know...my 3 years of W-2s were required for the I-134 Affidavit of Support for my husband's K1 interview. So I just assumed they would also be required for the I-864 for his AOS interview as well, even though they may or may not be joint returns.

Back on the same wavelength, good! lol

Rene

K visa interviews are different from AOS interviews. The US Consulate might require things that the USCIS does not.

If you are using only your copies of what you filed with the IRS then you need W-2s. If you are using IRS official tax transcripts you usually don't need W-2s.

Rete
Old Aug 4th 2004, 4:59 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Patrick
Not necessarily true. The individual USCIS district offices can require any damn thing they want. If they want W-2s you bring them.

For andrea they are asking for IRS tax transcripts. You can order them over the automated phone system for IRS and will receive them in 4 to 10 days.

Rete
Old Aug 4th 2004, 5:01 am
Concierge

Remember this is only what one couple out of hundreds of thousands brought. We didn't bring 1/2 of that and we were approved. Don't hold store with the letters from family and friends but if you want to do it you can.

Also please read the actual experiences for AOS interviews under your district office. You can find them in the Kamya site listed under my name at the top of the forum.

Rete

Taken direct from Visa Journey:

6.11.2)...How will we know when the interview is scheduled? What *evidence* do we need to take?
A..(newsgroup)..Wow!! On Friday 7/10 We received our adjustment of status interview notice in the Mail from the Albany, NY USCIS (INS) office. One month after filing the I-485. The Appointment is for October 27th at 10Am. A list of things to be brought was included.

1. Beneficiaries passport and I-94
2. current personal ID for both parties
3. copies of the birth certificates of any children born to us. ( I hope they mean as a result of this union )
4. copies of federal,and state income tax returns for each year, or portion thereof, during which petitioner and beneficiary have been married.
5. copies of lease or mortgage contracts showing joint occupancy.
6. evidence of any joint bank accounts, charge accounts etc.
7. copies of any life insurance and/or health insurance policies of petitioner and beneficiary
8. copies of wills and/or power of attorneys
9. Statements from petitioners and/or beneficiaries employer(s) preferable on company stationary, Indicating the marital status claimed, dependants claimed and whom to notify in case of emergency.
10. sworn statements from at least two persons, attesting to the length of time petitioner and beneficiary have been residing together in Marital Union.
11. Any other evidence which would tend to establish the existence of a bona fide marital relationship.

Patrick
Old Aug 4th 2004, 5:07 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

Originally posted by Rete
Remember this is only what one couple out of hundreds of thousands brought. We didn't bring 1/2 of that and we were approved. Don't hold store with the letters from family and friends but if you want to do it you can.

Also please read the actual experiences for AOS interviews under your district office. You can find them in the Kamya site listed under my name at the top of the forum.

Rete

I often wonder why someone has not actually compiled a list of "must have documents" and then an "also requested" list. This would be a great resource on a site like this. Is there anything like that out there?
Patrick
Old Aug 4th 2004, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

I often wonder why someone has not actually compiled a list of "must have documents" and then an "also requested" list. This would be a great resource on a site like this. Is there anything like that out there?
Patrick

Actually, they sent me a list like that with the interview letter. However, the "must haves" were basically like the birth certificates, passports, marriage certificates etc, and the "may also bring" list is all the rest of the supporting evidence
Old Aug 4th 2004, 5:15 am
Concierge

Patrick

Because there is no definitive listing. Each district office differs but the mainstay of proof is joint financial documentation, living documentation, i.e. lease, deed, mortgage, etc. Also required by all is social commingling of your lives, i.e. friends, family events, etc. The I-864 is basic and tells you what you need. If the DO needs more they tell you when they advise you of the interview date.

The visajourney site took over the FAQ which was complied by Mike the FAQ guy for this site alt.visa.us.marriage-based newsgroup when it was set up in 1998. Mike relinquished control of the FAQ and steve2003 who was unhappy for avumb started his own forum to make it separate from the worldwide newsgroup and open to only registered members.

The Kamya sites hold much of the information volunteered by individual posters, i.e. police certificate info, medical info, filing experiences per district office for AOS, interview experiences for AOS, DCF, K-1, K-3, I-751, N-400. However, much of the information is out of date because unless I remind people to post, no one does. Also no one reads the root post at top and probably are unaware of their existence.

Rete

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.