Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Help!!! Where the heck do I file!

Help!!! Where the heck do I file!

Old Dec 21st 2008, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

BigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really nice
Default Help!!! Where the heck do I file!

I got married to a US citizen in October and FINALLY I have all my paperwork together.

I am totally confused as to whether I need to file at the relevent Chicago drop box or at a USCIS Service center.

Pertinant info:

I live in NJ
I have an H1B and I am applying for Adjustment of Status to Green Card.
I am filing the following forms:
I-130
I-485
G-325A
I-864
I-765
I-693

Thank you in advance, as always!
Old Dec 21st 2008, 11:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help!!! Where the heck do I file!

Originally Posted by BigBarry
I got married to a US citizen in October and FINALLY I have all my paperwork together.

I am totally confused as to whether I need to file at the relevent Chicago drop box or at a USCIS Service center.

Pertinant info:

I live in NJ
I-130
I-485
G-325A
I-864
I-765
I-693

Everything goes in one big package to the Chicago lockbox address listed on the I-485.

You might also want to include form I-131 for Advance Parole...it's free when you file it with your AOS package, might as well have it in hand.

Rene
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

BigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really nice

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Everything goes in one big package to the Chicago lockbox address listed on the I-485.

You might also want to include form I-131 for Advance Parole...it's free when you file it with your AOS package, might as well have it in hand.

Rene
Thank you so much.

The instructions for the I-131 tell me not to apply if i have H1-B in good standing. Am I missing something or is this a case of Sending this in can't hurt?
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 12:13 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much.

The instructions for the I-131 tell me not to apply if i have H1-B in good standing. Am I missing something or is this a case of Sending this in can't hurt?
It's a case of "sending it in can't hurt". What if you suddenly lose your H1B job and you need to travel outside the USA? You'd need the Advance Parole in order to return to the USA if your H1B is no longer valid. Just a precaution.

Rene
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

It's a case of "sending it in can't hurt". What if you suddenly lose your H1B job and you need to travel outside the USA? You'd need the Advance Parole in order to return to the USA if your H1B is no longer valid. Just a precaution.

Rene
Does in not really matter what intended dates of travel I put on the form?
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 12:21 am

Does in not really matter what intended dates of travel I put on the form?
No, it doesn't matter. In our case, we predicted some travel dates and never actually traveled at all.

Rene
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

No, it doesn't matter. In our case, we predicted some travel dates and never actually traveled at all.

Rene

But if I did put say April 1st 09, would I be able to use it to travel o a different day?
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 1:41 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

But if I did put say April 1st 09, would I be able to use it to travel o a different day?
Which part of "it doesn't matter" didn't you understand? You can put down any date you want... USCIS isn't going to check; nothing bad will happen to you if you don't travel on that specific day... or travel at all. It doesn't matter!

Ian
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Which part of "it doesn't matter" didn't you understand? You can put down any date you want... USCIS isn't going to check; nothing bad will happen to you if you don't travel on that specific day... or travel at all. It doesn't matter!

Ian
There is a big difference between putting a date down and not traveling and putting a date down and traveling on a different day. The example given did not pertain to me, and I just want to be sure......what part of that do YOU not understand?
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 1:54 am

Yes. Check the box for "multiple entries", so you can use it for more than one trip per year if you need/want to.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

Yes. Check the box for "multiple entries", so you can use it for more than one trip per year if you need/want to.
Thank you so much Noorah!

You help today and previously has been invaluable
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 2:04 am

Thank you so much Noorah!

You help today and previously has been invaluable
No problem. This group was so much help to me when I was going through all this, it's my way of paying back.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 4:01 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Pertinant info:

I live in NJ
I-130
I-485
G-325A
I-864
I-765
I-693

Hi:

The relevant service center is the National Benefits Center.

So, the answer is yes, you should file it with the National Benefits Center in Missouri by mail the Chicago Lockbox.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 12:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

There is a big difference between putting a date down and not traveling and putting a date down and traveling on a different day.
Not for the purposes of the I-131... no, there isn't - which is why Rene said "it doesn't matter".

Ian
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 12:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

There is a big difference between putting a date down and not traveling and putting a date down and traveling on a different day. The example given did not pertain to me, and I just want to be sure......what part of that do YOU not understand?

You don't have to put a date down. We didn't and many others didn't either.

We simply noted that we wanted A/P to use for vacations, visits home for the holidays and emergencies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.