Reload this Page >

help please!! just married and with kid issues

help please!! just married and with kid issues

Old Jan 10th 2012, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

lucylosingit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: help please!! just married and with kid issues

jeff,
thank you, i was aware we had to obtain the visa's first, i cant believe it was an official that advised us to take him and do it that way if it is illegal!
am i still able to travel to and fro with my visa waiver whilst waiting as long as ikeep to the 90 day rule etc? and i know this might sound like a daft question but is it better to get the lawyer in the uk or for my husband to get one in the us?
thanks
lucy
Old Jan 10th 2012, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
In that case, because of their age at the time you got married, I would think the 19 and 21 year olds will not be able to get an Immigrant Visa at the same time you do. The 17 year old, although eligible age-wise, has a criminal record and has that issue to deal with. It seems only the 14 year old has a clear path to an Immigrant Visa.

Definitely need to be talking to an immigration attorney about all this. It just might be that your husband will need to move back to the UK, instead of you all moving to the USA.

Rene
rene,
thank you for your reply,my husband hasnt lived here since he was 4 years old, his father was in the military based over in uk that is why he has dual nationality, i will consult an attorney but your idea seems simpler to me, i dont mind where we live as long as we live together!
thanks
lucy
Old Jan 10th 2012, 10:08 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The "official" was looking at the situation very superficially, and more than that was giving advice that they should not give quite likely actually believing that they were being helpful.
Originally Posted by lucylosingit
i cant believe it was an official that advised us to take him and do it that way if it is illegal!

As long as you don't abuse the program by spending more time in the USA than you spend back in the UK.
am i still able to travel to and fro with my visa waiver whilst waiting as long as ikeep to the 90 day rule etc?
Better to get a lawyer that you are comfortable with, I think, without regard to where they are based.
and i know this might sound like a daft question but is it better to get the lawyer in the uk or for my husband to get one in the us?
Old Jan 10th 2012, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

jeff,
thank you for your help
lucy
Old Jan 10th 2012, 10:25 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... i cant believe it was an official that advised us to take him and do it that way if it is illegal!
Not only is he allowed to lie to you, he can do so without fear of any consequences. The US Supreme Court has said so.

Ian
Old Jan 10th 2012, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

katiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of light

I hadn't realized how hard it would be to look up information on this, so I'm glad you asked the question since my husband and I have to keep a similar possibility always in the back of our minds for my brother-in-law.

An extensive google search brought up the following:

I am a U.S. citizen. I want to petition for my parents and my brother. I know I must file separately for my brother, and that he will have to wait abroad for many years. However, he is mentally disabled and totally dependent on my parents. They cannot leave him behind. Does the law provide for any way for my brother to come here when my parents get their immigrant visas?

A: In rare and especially deserving cases, the USCIS will allow someone not immediately eligible for a visa to come to United States under a status called "humanitarian parole." When your parents get called for their immigrant visa interviews, that they speak to a U.S. consular officer about the matter. If the officer would not help, they can apply for your brother directly to the USCIS

Your parents should include a detailed letter explaining your brother's situation, with evidence from a doctor about his condition. They should also document that they have the resources to care for him. Humanitarian parole allows someone outside the United States to enter without a visa. It is available only in very unusual circumstances, where a particularly deserving person either doesn't qualify for a visa or doesn't have time to get one.

Though the USCIS discourages use of humanitarian parole to bypass normal visa processing procedures, in very rare cases the agency grants parole to individuals who cannot care for themselves when their parents immigrate.
I'm not sure how accurate it is, but it at least gives you something ELSE to put into google and research. DEFINITELY get started with a lawyer and keep us all updated on how it goes and what you find out.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Son 1 is too old to go and can not be left on his own.

Son 2 is also too old to go but is going to Uni anyway so no problem.

Son 3 probably will at least need a waiver.

Son 4 is OK.

It does sound like you are going in the wrong direction, Husband has no need of a visa or anything and could move tomorrow.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
Son 1 is too old to go and can not be left on his own.

Son 2 is also too old to go but is going to Uni anyway so no problem.

Son 3 probably will at least need a waiver.

Son 4 is OK.

It does sound like you are going in the wrong direction, Husband has no need of a visa or anything and could move tomorrow.
hi,
thanks for the advice, think i may have given everyone the impression husband is over here but he is living in the states and has been since the age of 4
lucy
Old Jan 11th 2012, 3:59 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

hi,
thanks for the advice, think i may have given everyone the impression husband is over here but he is living in the states and has been since the age of 4
lucy
No, we all understand your scenario. What we are saying is that since your husband is a dual US/UK citizen, it would be FAR easier for him to move to the UK to be with you guys, rather than you guys all moving to the USA. All he has to do is up and move. You guys all need visas, and you have multiple issues.

Rene
Old Jan 11th 2012, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by katiekat
I hadn't realized how hard it would be to look up information on this, so I'm glad you asked the question since my husband and I have to keep a similar possibility always in the back of our minds for my brother-in-law.

An extensive google search brought up the following:

I'm not sure how accurate it is, but it at least gives you something ELSE to put into google and research. DEFINITELY get started with a lawyer and keep us all updated on how it goes and what you find out.
katiekat,
thank you for that info, really interesting and gives us something to go on, that has been my biggest worry and although i will find an attorney its nice to chat to people here who have been through similar
lucy
Old Jan 11th 2012, 4:00 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

hi,
lucy
That really doesn't matter, he's still a UKC and can easily move to UK, it would be a whole lot cheaper and easier to move him than to waste money trying to get non existent visas for ineligible children/adults.
Even if there were a visa, no way would I move a special needs adult here, medical cover (or lack of) would have killed any family budget and given an even poorer standard of living than you get in UK.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
No, we all understand your scenario. What we are saying is that since your husband is a dual US/UK citizen, it would be FAR easier for him to move to the UK to be with you guys, rather than you guys all moving to the USA. All he has to do is up and move. You guys all need visas, and you have multiple issues.

Rene
rene,
sorry i thought someone else had the impression my husband was over here, it would be easier for my husband to move here however he has children of his own who are much younger so we have 8 between us!! i have an appointment with a solicitor so will get their advice and take it from there. thank you for the help you have given me
lucy
Old Jan 11th 2012, 4:12 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I realize that there's a language difference here, but I hope you mean a US immigration attorney.

Regards, JEff

i have an appointment with a solicitor
Old Jan 11th 2012, 4:12 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

rene,
sorry i thought someone else had the impression my husband was over here, it would be easier for my husband to move here however he has children of his own who are much younger so we have 8 between us!! i have an appointment with a solicitor so will get their advice and take it from there. thank you for the help you have given me
lucy
Does your husband earn at least $56,587 in income?

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf

Rene
Old Jan 11th 2012, 4:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Family of 5?

2 UK

3 US

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.