Help - my scenario

Old Feb 17th 2008, 1:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - my scenario

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Generally, people go to Reno to celebrate... umm... the other end of the marriage spectrum!

Ian
Oh. Thanks!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 4:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all. I have taken legal advise. Here 'tis:

All you need to do is get married BEFORE they APPROVE the I-485 (i.e. not before filing). Therefore, if you want to file in March, ozzidoc can still file her I-485 in April after she gets here on the H-4. Alternatively, you can both wait and file together in April. I would not wait longer then that because the visa availability may change. This means that if the immigrant visa numbers back up--neither of you can file the I-485 until they become current again. In short--the sooner you both file the I-485, the better.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 4:25 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Thank you all. I have taken legal advise. Here 'tis:

All you need to do is get married BEFORE they APPROVE the I-485 (i.e. not before filing). Therefore, if you want to file in March, ozzidoc can still file her I-485 in April after she gets here on the H-4. Alternatively, you can both wait and file together in April. I would not wait longer then that because the visa availability may change. This means that if the immigrant visa numbers back up--neither of you can file the I-485 until they become current again. In short--the sooner you both file the I-485, the better.
That makes sense to me!
Old Mar 12th 2008, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks to everyone.

I have my H4.

What happens if I only file I-485 (in March or April)? Can I submit the other forms later ie the I-765 for work authorization or I-131 for Advance Parole.

I understand that the AP can take several months to come through, and I don't have that time to be soley in the USA for that long.

Would this impact on the GC process? Or just my ability to work?

Alternatively, can I file the I-824 concurrently with the bloke's application? The I-485 intsructions refer me to the I-824, but the 824 instructions look like it doesn't apply - ie a circular argument

Thanks!

Last edited by Ozzidoc; Mar 12th 2008 at 7:50 am.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 8:06 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The fee for the I-485 now includes the I-765 and I-131. So submit the paperwork for all three at the same time. If you don't, then further down the lie you will have to pay for each petition individually, ultimately paying twice for one petition.

Thanks to everyone.

I have my H4.

What happens if I only file I-485 (in March or April)? Can I submit the other forms later ie the I-765 for work authorization or I-131 for Advance Parole.

I understand that the AP can take several months to come through, and I don't have that time to be soley in the USA for that long.

Would this impact on the GC process? Or just my ability to work?

Alternatively, can I file the I-824 concurrently with the bloke's application? The I-485 intsructions refer me to the I-824, but the 824 instructions look like it doesn't apply - ie a circular argument

Thanks!
Old Mar 12th 2008, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rete
The fee for the I-485 now includes the I-765 and I-131. So submit the paperwork for all three at the same time. If you don't, then further down the lie you will have to pay for each petition individually, ultimately paying twice for one petition.
Thanks Rete. The issue actually isnt the cash.

I'm only going to be in the US for 6 days after we submit the I485. So I cant wait for permission to travel.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 8:13 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rete. The issue actually isnt the cash.

I'm only going to be in the US for 6 days after we submit the I485. So I cant wait for permission to travel.

Nah I was speaking to the poster who appears not to know the current procedure, fee for I-485 and what it includes, i.e. I-485, I-131 and I-765 whether you want them or not.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nah I was speaking to the poster who appears not to know the current procedure, fee for I-485 and what it includes, i.e. I-485, I-131 and I-765 whether you want them or not.
OK.

My question is, can I submit only the I-485 and run, or does my running mean that the I-485 application is invalidated/thrown out?

I've a call into the lawyer via the bloke, but I was wondering what the BE advisors' views are.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 8:55 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

OK.

My question is, can I submit only the I-485 and run, or does my running mean that the I-485 application is invalidated/thrown out?

I've a call into the lawyer via the bloke, but I was wondering what the BE advisors' views are.
Hi:

Leaving without advance parole in hand is abandonment of I-485 except for H-1b & L-1a.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 9:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

But, whatever you do, do not have him go ahead and file for AOS without you. And talk to an immigration lawyer - just in case I am talking out of my ... (unless one of the 'resident' lawyers here clarifies the situation).
Where are you, you daft old biddy?
Old Mar 12th 2008, 9:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Leaving without advance parole in hand is abandonment of I-485 except for H-1b & L-1a.
Thanks. On re-reading the I-485 instructions, it states that I can travel without parole, providing my H visa is still in date. (page 9)

Your departure from the United States (including brief visits to Canada or Mexico) constitutes an abandonment of your adjustment of status application, unless you are granted permission to depart and you are inspected upon your return to the United States. Such permission to travel is called ''advance
parole.'' To request advance parole, you must file Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, with the appropriate fee at the USCIS office where you applied for adjustment of status.

Travel outside the United States for adjustment of status applicants under sections 209 and 245 of the Act, and Registry applicants under section 249 of the Act.

If you are an H, L,V, or K3/K4 nonimmigrant who continues to maintain his or her status, you may travel on a valid H, L, V or K3/K4 visa without obtaining
advance parole.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Aha. Epiphany moment.

Right. So I apply for all three.

I still travel on my H4 (for as long as its valid).

I dont carry the AP with me. I dont use it at all, unless my H4 visa expires before I have my GC.

Correct?

(I'm also following this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=521091)

Last edited by Ozzidoc; Mar 12th 2008 at 9:56 am.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 1:47 pm
Concierge

Give the girl the prize

Aha. Epiphany moment.

Right. So I apply for all three.

I still travel on my H4 (for as long as its valid).

I dont carry the AP with me. I dont use it at all, unless my H4 visa expires before I have my GC.

Correct?

(I'm also following this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=521091)