Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Help with K1 interview date query - getting concerned

Help with K1 interview date query - getting concerned

Old Jul 7th 2014, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

TriGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with K1 interview date query - getting concerned

Hello everyone. I have not posted a thread before but have a timeline going in the K1 visa timeline thread.
I have a major concern…
I am 99.9% positive that I sent off my notification of applicant readiness online. That little voice in my head says… did you send it!?
I have had my medical at Knightsbridge doctors on the 19th June.
I realise that the wait time can take 1-2 weeks sometimes but also can take between 4-6weeks to await your letter stating the interview date.
So, my questions:
Is it ok to resubmit the notification of applicant readiness just to 100% be safe and to ensure that they have received it?

Am I simply waiting for a letter in the post that states my interview date… or does the letter simply say I have to book my interview online?

I am desperate for an interview before the end of the month as I am presenting at a conference in Washington DC right at the end of July and would much rather be able to go to that and start my life with my fiancee then rather than have to pay £1000 for flight to the conference then have to come back for the interview and pay another £1000 for flights in August (yes thats how much they are costing at this time of year!).

The stress of this waiting and waiting is really affecting my relationship with my fiancee as she is in the USA. It's the not knowing that is really stressful. It would be so much better if they actually said yes we have received your notification of applicant readiness and will contact you in the next 1-6 weeks with your interview date!

Your help is very much appreciated.

Last edited by TriGuy; Jul 7th 2014 at 11:01 am.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 11:06 am
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with K1 interview date query - getting concerned

Originally Posted by TriGuy
Hello everyone. I have not posted a thread before but have a timeline going in the K1 visa timeline thread.
I have a major concern…
I am 99.9% positive that I sent off my notification of applicant readiness online. That little voice in my head says… did you send it!?
I have had my medical at Knightsbridge doctors on the 19th June.
I realise that the wait time can take 1-2 weeks sometimes but also can take between 4-6weeks to await your letter stating the interview date.
So, my questions:
Is it ok to resubmit the notification of applicant readiness just to 100% be safe and to ensure that they have received it?

Am I simply waiting for a letter in the post that states my interview date… or does the letter simply say I have to book my interview online?

I am desperate for an interview before the end of the month as I am presenting at a conference in Washington DC right at the end of July and would much rather be able to go to that and start my life with my fiancee then rather than have to pay £1000 for flight to the conference then have to come back for the interview and pay another £1000 for flights in August (yes thats how much they are costing at this time of year!).

The stress of this waiting and waiting is really affecting my relationship with my fiancee as she is in the USA. It's the not knowing that is really stressful. It would be so much better if they actually said yes we have received your notification of applicant readiness and will contact you in the next 1-6 weeks with your interview date!

Your help is very much appreciated.
If you're not sure if you submitted your Notification of Readiness then contact the Consulate and check.

Unfortunately immigration does move at it's own pace. I think it's going to be unlikely that you'll get an interview before the end of July, sorry
Old Jul 7th 2014, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

I have looked for a phone number to check and can't seem to find the right number for this type of enquiry. Do you happen to know what number is ok to call and ask?
Thanks.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 11:20 am
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have looked for a phone number to check and can't seem to find the right number for this type of enquiry. Do you happen to know what number is ok to call and ask?
Thanks.
You can't phone them:

IV Contact Page | Embassy of the United States
Old Jul 7th 2014, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

I've contacted them this morning using that form. Thanks anyway.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 11:25 am
Hoppity hop...

Sorry, just realised I didn't answer your original question!

The letter from the Embassy will tell you your interview date, you don't have to book this online.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Thats what I thought. Thanks for clarification.
It's the waiting! So very stressful. They certainly don't make this process easy or stress-less! I am sure they make the process as deliberately stressful as they possibly can. It's no wonder many relationships fail through this traumatic time.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 12:17 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure they make the process as deliberately stressful as they possibly can.
It is stressful, to be sure... but not deliberately so.

It's no wonder many relationships fail through this traumatic time.
With respect, US immigration isn't traumatic. Traumatic is having your house destroyed by a tornado... so let's try to keep things in perspective.

That said, if a relationship fails, it's unlikely due to anything directly related to immigration. It speaks more to the immaturity of one or both people involved. I've been following this forum and its earlier incarnation for 16 years now - and I can count on one hand the number of relationships that have failed as a result of the process. Indeed, most relationships survive "this traumatic time" because it takes a special quality of character to willingly leave your friends, family, and homeland to move to a new country - with nothing more than a promise.

Ian
Old Jul 7th 2014, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Yes Ian agreed, however people view something as traumatic differently just as being stressed too. I am a very laid back character and can take many things with a pinch of salt whereas others would class those things as stressful or traumatic.
"If an experience is traumatic, it causes you severe emotional shock and upset"… so yes this can be traumatic for some whereas others it's not.

And the immigration process can indeed cause relationship breakdowns due to the prolonged periods of being apart. I've known it to happen and seen it happen. It was not down to the relationship itself and was down to the long drawn out process that got simply too much for some to bare. Very unfortunate but it does happen.
Being immature I don't think has anything to do with it.

Appreciate your thoughts however but everyone is different and thinks differently.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 3:32 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

And the immigration process can indeed cause relationship breakdowns due to the prolonged periods of being apart. I've known it to happen and seen it happen. It was not down to the relationship itself and was down to the long drawn out process that got simply too much for some to bare. Very unfortunate but it does happen.
I appreciate your thoughts, and it's unfortunate when relationships break down. I'm not unsympathetic to the time and stress involved (I did a K-1 visa myself) but if the relationship can't stand the strain then, quite simply, the people involved aren't ready for the journey.

Being immature I don't think has anything to do with it.
People need the strength that comes from emotional maturity to successfully navigate the process. If they're not up to the task, then it's unlikley the relationship will last. It has almost nothing to do with the time involved... and almost everything to do with being emotionally strong. That said, I'll be the first to admit that the longer things take, the more stress it puts on the relationship... but people need to stay strong regardless of the time it takes.

You probably see that as a harsh position to take... but I see it as a realistic position. As I've written on many occasions... immigration isn't for the faint of heart!

At any rate, this is how you feel and I understand that - so, best of luck to you on your journey.

Ian
Old Jul 9th 2014, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

janadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my Ian - my sweet, sweet Ian - my but you DO have a way with words!

This is so brilliantly put - I wish there was a way to permanently place your post at the top of this page!

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I appreciate your thoughts, and it's unfortunate when relationships break down. I'm not unsympathetic to the time and stress involved (I did a K-1 visa myself) but if the relationship can't stand the strain then, quite simply, the people involved aren't ready for the journey.

People need the strength that comes from emotional maturity to successfully navigate the process. If they're not up to the task, then it's unlikley the relationship will last. It has almost nothing to do with the time involved... and almost everything to do with being emotionally strong. That said, I'll be the first to admit that the longer things take, the more stress it puts on the relationship... but people need to stay strong regardless of the time it takes.

You probably see that as a harsh position to take... but I see it as a realistic position. As I've written on many occasions... immigration isn't for the faint of heart!

At any rate, this is how you feel and I understand that - so, best of luck to you on your journey.

Ian