Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

help I need info on how to go about getting my husband to the States

help I need info on how to go about getting my husband to the States

Old Jul 29th 2002, 7:20 pm
Edward Saelens

Default help I need info on how to go about getting my husband to the States

Hi! I just recently got married to a Canadian citizen and found that we will have
trouble with him sponsoring me from in Canada because he has disputes with child
support !We are wondering if it would be easier for him and I to move to the States
as I am an American but have lived in Canada for 6 months now, I have no idea what's
involved to get him into the States with
me....Please help is it easier to get pr in the States then in Canada? And also would
his disputes with child support cause problems for his pr in the States? Thanks in
advance for your reply's..

Sincerely, Patty Saelens

Old Jul 30th 2002, 5:22 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help I need info on how to go about getting my husband to the States

Originally posted by Edward Saelens
Hi! I just recently got married to a Canadian citizen and found that we will have trouble with him sponsoring me from in Canada because he has disputes with child support !We are wondering if it would be easier for him and I to move to the States as I am an American but have lived in Canada for 6 months now, I have no idea what's involved to get him into the States with me....Please help is it easier to get pr in the States then in Canada? And also would his disputes with child support cause problems for his pr in the States? Thanks in
advance for your reply's..

Sincerely, Patty Saelens
For you to help your husband get a US visa either you would would need cash/ liquid assets of five times the federally specified poverty level for a family of your size, or annual income of 125% of the poverty level.

This means that if don't have approx $75,000 dollars (for a couple, more if you have kids) then you would have to travel ahead of your husband and obtain employment in order to sponsor your husband's visa.

Good luck!