Reload this Page >

Help! Going through immigration -- don't have X-rays

Wikiposts

Help! Going through immigration -- don't have X-rays

Old Aug 30th 2015, 7:47 am
Just Joined

alisongarf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help! Going through immigration -- don't have X-rays

Hi all. My UKC husband has a marriage-based immigrant visa, and he and I are due to fly to the U.S. on Tuesday for the first time since receiving the visa. We have already packed up all our things and sent them on with a moving company....including the X-rays my husband had at his medical examination. I've just re-read the information page that came with his courier package and saw that he has to "be prepared to present his X-ray." Ack!! The X-ray is now in a container crossing the Atlantic Ocean.
Has anyone who has been through this been asked for their X-rays at immigration? We are now really nervous.
Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 30th 2015, 7:49 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Going through immigration -- don't have X-rays

In 12 years on this forum, I've never heard of anyone being asked for them.

Rene
Old Aug 30th 2015, 7:51 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alisongarf
Has anyone who has been through this been asked for their X-rays at immigration? We are now really nervous.
In my 17+ years of following immigration forums, no one has ever been asked for their x-ray! It's a non-issue.

Ian
Old Aug 30th 2015, 7:55 am
Just Joined

alisongarf is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, thanks. Do you know how long it typically takes someone to go through immigration for the first time with a new visa? Just wondering how long I'll be waiting for him. TIA!
Old Aug 30th 2015, 7:57 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know how long it typically takes someone to go through immigration for the first time with a new visa?
Usually, about 15 minutes.

Just wondering how long I'll be waiting for him.
Anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours. It depends on how many people are ahead of him trying to get through immigration.

Ian
Old Aug 30th 2015, 8:08 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Many factors are involved. Time of arrival, how many people in line ahead of you, size of airport at POE, etc. Allow 2 to 3 hours and you should be fine.

Rene
Old Aug 30th 2015, 8:23 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

It took me about 25 minutes through Atlanta. It's totally dependent on how many aircraft have arrived, staffing levels, the mood of the person that stamps him in etc. I would leave a 2/3 hour gap if you are connecting.
Old Aug 30th 2015, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

sparkleandglitter is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, thanks. Do you know how long it typically takes someone to go through immigration for the first time with a new visa? Just wondering how long I'll be waiting for him. TIA!
Ours took about an hour or so for both primary and secondary, but YMMV. I agree with everyone else's advice here to leave 2-3 hours when planning.

We always go through immigration together when entering the US to visit, and did the same this time. They allowed my USC spouse to come with me to secondary (it might be worth asking, just in case you want to do that). Only downside is that your bags go round and round and are then waiting for you by the carousel.