Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Help!!! Divorce documentation

Help!!! Divorce documentation

Old Dec 29th 2003, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

clare47uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help!!! Divorce documentation

Can anyone help with what documentation USCIS need to prove a divorce is final?

My fiance has been divorced for 6 years and sent them the documents that he has that are signed by a justice of the supreme court of the state of New York but we were denied the petition because they said this isn't enough evidence of the divorce. The other thing is when he called up USCIS to ask what he should have sent they told him that what he sent should have been good enough.

What do they need?
Old Dec 29th 2003, 4:44 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help!!! Divorce documentation

Originally posted by clare47uk

My fiance has been divorced for 6 years and sent them the documents that he has that are signed by a justice of the supreme court of the state of New York but we were denied the petition because they said this isn't enough evidence of the divorce. The other thing is when he called up USCIS to ask what he should have sent they told him that what he sent should have been good enough.

What do they need?
Depends on his divorce. Was it a divorce that is finalized after one year's legal separation (called no-fault) or a fault divorce which is granted rather speedily (6 weeks in my case). In either instance the paperwork should clearly state final decree and should show all the filing marks for the county. Mine shows when finalized, signature of the judge, filing date, and where filed and has the raised seal of NYS on it.

Rete
Old Dec 29th 2003, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

cutenurse300 is an unknown quantity at this point

What do they need?
Hi Clare,

That s really terrible news for you,waiting 5 months and then getting this denial.Well almost the same happend to us,as we filed back in april and after 5 months waiting for Vermont our case got denied also,for another reason tough,cuz at the moment we filed the first time my fiance s divorce wasn t completly final,but our lawyer told us it was okay anyways.Well we had to start again and refiled our case in october and got our approval 2 weeks ago..i wish you all the best and eventual you will have your approval!!!!!
Old Dec 29th 2003, 4:54 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Is this what the RFE was for? Divorce documentation?

What do they need?
Old Dec 31st 2003, 3:32 pm
Cait

Dear Clare

Get yourself an attorney, and quick! Sean and I got an RFE stating
that my divorce decree wasn't final and absolute (I am the UK
citizen). I then got an attorney and he sent exactly the same decree
with a covering letter. The response to RFE got lost in the post first
time round (my fiance mailed it) and then the lawyer overnighted it a
second time and we were approved in less than a week! It looks like
the covering letter made all the difference.

Good luck and stay in touch.

Love
Cait

NOA1 17 March
NOA2 22 December