Wikiposts

Health Insurance

Old Jul 8th 2018, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

lenswipe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health Insurance

Hey all

I moved to the USA in June 2017. Since then, I've been buying Patriot America Plus every month (because that's all I could do). The kicker is the most recent one expires on the 14th and I don't know if I can renew past a year. This will effectively leave me without health insurance. I was wondering if I could sign up with MassHealth since I don't currently have a job. I do plan to find one ASAP, but I'm waiting for companies to get back to me (with the 4th July weekend etc.).

Part of me says no because I would have thought that you can't claim on social security so soon without paying in, but the law in massachusetts says that it's illegal not to have health insurance. So I'm not sure what to do...
Old Jul 8th 2018, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance

Why can't you apply for an Obamacare policy with either your State's exchange or the Federal exchange healthcare.gov? - having read your post again I presume it is because you cannot afford to pay for medical insurance?

Masshealth is the state scheme which is for those on no or low income (equivalent of Medicaid). Whether you qualify for this or not you will have to see

You came over on a Fiance visa - can you not be included on your now presumably wife's health plan?

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Jul 8th 2018 at 11:40 am.
Old Jul 8th 2018, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

So, yeah. Right now I have no income. I'm in the process of front a job but haven't yet. Adding me to wife's insurance would take a very large chunk out of her paycheck which we can't really afford so I'm trying to avoid that if at all possible.
Old Jul 8th 2018, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at the website for Patriot America Plus it looks as though it is for visitors to the US and can cover up to two years. You are a resident, so might be at risk of not being covered should something happen to you.

If you cannot afford to get onto your wife's insurance, and cannot afford an Obamacare policy, then trying for a Medicaid plan is your only option - although as a new immigrant I would have thought your wife as your sponsor might be responsible for anything you claim on the public purse.

I'd get any job if I was you to start getting some income........
Old Jul 8th 2018, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
I'd get any job if I was you to start getting some income........
Yep. On it. Unfortunately though, these things take time :/
Old Jul 8th 2018, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Uber, Lyft, pizza delivery, grocery store bagger... Something to cover at least the cost of adding you to a standard health insurance policy?