Wikiposts

Health Insurance

Old Nov 28th 2007, 5:12 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance

Originally Posted by jenniferpa
Yes, I think the thing is you can't actually make money on the coverage - if you get fully reimbursed for something from one of them, you can't then go off and get reimbursed by the other. One is primary and one is secondary and I "think" that the one that is in your own name is the primary. I don't know whether you can change that though...

Absolutely, which is why I had mentioned primary through the fulltime job. Sadly, they upped the deductible 500 bucks 10 days before the operation I had.

I was grateful to have the additional coverage from the part time job. It helped.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 5:48 am
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
We pay almost $500 a month for mine, I'm added to my husband's insurance..
I'm extremely lucky. I only pay $110 per month for family coverage, so that won't change even when #3 comes along. The wife had Blue Cross Blue Shield when at her previous job but her current position has no benefits, apart from the 30% employee discount on goods. She works at Hallmark - suffice to say there are many "broken paypackets" as they would have said back in the day.

Thanks for everyones input. Just wanted to get some suggestions.

Cheers.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 6:01 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I would think the obvious option would be to add the imminent third child to your existing health insurance.
most wouldn't let you till it's been born...would have to add the wife and follow up care of baby would be covered for x amount of days. 30 in my case.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 6:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Each person can only be covered by one insurance provider. Your wife can't be both on your insurance and take out her own on herself.
yes you can....but it's crap doing that because then you'll have to meet two deductibles/co-pays etc.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 6:16 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
What about finding a job where she gets insurance? Just a suggestion, I understand that she might not be able to work with 2 little ones..
I would suggest that the OP himself gets a job with better health benefits actually. I know it's easier said than done.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 6:43 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Each person can only be covered by one insurance provider. Your wife can't be both on your insurance and take out her own on herself.

You can be covered by two insurances. For example if Mr. HD got her own insurance that would be the primary insurance. It could not be the supplemental unless Mr. HD got supplemental insurance in his name for the family.

Thus, Mrs. HD's primary insurance pays their share. If it is a decent plan there is only a small deductible, if any, and a co-pay, and she can then put those through to the supplement insurance

Or it would be better for Mr. HD to belong to the company's flex spending plan where he designates X amount of money to be taken from his salary each pay period to be used for health/dental/drug/deductibles/co-pay costs not covered under the healthcare insurance. This money is taken out before taxes.

BTW I have two dental insurance policies. Mine will pay first and the other one pays what the first doesn't.