Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Health Cover/ Doctors in USA

Health Cover/ Doctors in USA

Old Apr 13th 2009, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

jjmadison has a spectacular aura aboutjjmadison has a spectacular aura aboutjjmadison has a spectacular aura about
Default Health Cover/ Doctors in USA

Hi.. Great help so far on this site - greatly appreciated to date.

If we proceed to K1 then waiting we will have to be patient. In the meantime I have received various tips on Health Insurance Cover - any more always welcome.

I am fortunate to have NHS over 60s medical freebies here for asthma stuff ie in UK. Obviously USA does not have that... anyone know for example is a new settler comes here they register with GP and so on

Does same process apply in USA.... I would like to know how I would achieve getting prescriptions for my asthma.

In UK they are brand named SERETIDE(purple casing - steroidal) SALBUTOMOL(pale blue) and SPIRIVA (capsules used with a spray device)

Anyone use these sprays - know how much they cost in USA - best way of obtaining them - any way to minimise the pain of paying too much $$$$$$$$$

also medications can be obtained from Canada - any advice on best way to get them... prescriptions are always required ?

I know WalMart operate a $4 scheme... do aby of these come within their scope...

Hope anyone can assist, all the best JJ
Old Apr 13th 2009, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Health Cover/ Doctors in USA

Here's the $4 Walmart list - other info also on their pharmacy site -

http://i.walmart.com/i/if/hmp/fusion...icdruglist.pdf

Target, Fred Meyer etc now do similar - check out their websites. The cheapy drugs are for the old generics generally. The newer patented meds are more $$$.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 10:49 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjmadison
Hi.. Great help so far on this site - greatly appreciated to date.

If we proceed to K1 then waiting we will have to be patient. In the meantime I have received various tips on Health Insurance Cover - any more always welcome.

I am fortunate to have NHS over 60s medical freebies here for asthma stuff ie in UK. Obviously USA does not have that... anyone know for example is a new settler comes here they register with GP and so on

Does same process apply in USA.... I would like to know how I would achieve getting prescriptions for my asthma.

In UK they are brand named SERETIDE(purple casing - steroidal) SALBUTOMOL(pale blue) and SPIRIVA (capsules used with a spray device)

Anyone use these sprays - know how much they cost in USA - best way of obtaining them - any way to minimise the pain of paying too much $$$$$$$$$

also medications can be obtained from Canada - any advice on best way to get them... prescriptions are always required ?

I know WalMart operate a $4 scheme... do aby of these come within their scope...

Hope anyone can assist, all the best JJ
SERETIDE = Advair
SALBUTOMOL =Ventolin.
SPIRIVA= Spiriva

I think from a quick search .. you pay for everything unless you have insurance ..and if you can even get it... Walmart will do mostly generic brands if they are available
Old Apr 13th 2009, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

bilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to behold

Hi - can't help too much with the cost - but Seretide is called "Advair" in the US and I don't think the cost changes with the strength but I know it's expensive. Salbutamol is a generic term and Spriva is Spriva......
Darn someone Beat me to it.....

Not too sure about the implications about Grey importing (buying from Canada), but if you can get it cheaper....
Old Apr 13th 2009, 11:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bilbos92
Not too sure about the implications about Grey importing (buying from Canada), but if you can get it cheaper....
It's illegal and if found will be confiscated and you get a fine apparently, not that it doesn't happen but using the US postal service is a no no.

As for cost of the drugs, no idea, insurance will hurt being at that age and with a pre-existing condition. Might get lucky and there might be a state plan to offer help, but then you might need to already be a LPR or be resident x amount of days to be eligible.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Walgreens and Target do the $4 prescriptions too. (Target is much more fun to look around while waiting for them to be filled.)
Old Apr 14th 2009, 1:53 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

my husband has advair (purple disk) - had blue and brown inhalers in the UK. It costs $100 bucks a pop of which our insurance (which i thought was quite good) covers $50. The advair comes as so many 'doses' so I think my husbands was 60 'puffs' enough for one every morning and one every night for a month.

I have been unable to 'register' with a general doctor as they dont want to see me unless I am ill and I havent been ill in the time ive been here. I have seen an OB/GYN for specific reasons (pregnancy) but thats not for general illness. Husband went to a general doc for his asthma stuff and was seen quickly - no issues. He had to pay his $10 co-pay to see them but think the rest of the cost was born by insurance.