Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Heading down to London for DCF interview

Heading down to London for DCF interview

Old Nov 29th 2004, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

IanandHolly is on a distinguished road
Default Heading down to London for DCF interview

Well we are heading out for London in a couple of hours. We have to take the dog to the kennel, come back, catch a train to manchester, then from manchester to london Euston.

Interview is tomorrow so wish us luck. Ian is soooooooo nervous it is crazy. He woke up at 4:30 this morning and is tired and restless as all heck. He's now trying to take a bit of a nap.

When we get to london today we have to run off to try to get a new set of photographs done. We went to jessops to get him a set and they aren't the 2" square, they are just the normal passport ones. However, we got them just as a backup. We're gonna try the place the embassy recommended that is on Oxford street. I just hope they are up to date and able to meet the new requirements.

Other than that I think we are packed and ready to go.

We'll let everyone know how everything turns out as soon as we get back.

Holly
Old Nov 29th 2004, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heading down to London for DCF interview

Good luck!

Elaine
Old Nov 29th 2004, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

berthman is just really niceberthman is just really niceberthman is just really niceberthman is just really niceberthman is just really niceberthman is just really niceberthman is just really niceberthman is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Heading down to London for DCF interview

Originally Posted by HunterGreen
Good luck!

Elaine
The Best of luck to you both. I look forward to hearing from your results and experience

Berthman
Old Nov 29th 2004, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

half-pint is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by IanandHolly
Well we are heading out for London in a couple of hours. We have to take the dog to the kennel, come back, catch a train to manchester, then from manchester to london Euston.

Interview is tomorrow so wish us luck. Ian is soooooooo nervous it is crazy. He woke up at 4:30 this morning and is tired and restless as all heck. He's now trying to take a bit of a nap.

When we get to london today we have to run off to try to get a new set of photographs done. We went to jessops to get him a set and they aren't the 2" square, they are just the normal passport ones. However, we got them just as a backup. We're gonna try the place the embassy recommended that is on Oxford street. I just hope they are up to date and able to meet the new requirements.

Other than that I think we are packed and ready to go.

Holly
Best of luck with your interview - have a great time in London. I think the photos you have will be fine - mine were!

Ellie
Old Nov 29th 2004, 2:09 pm
Scouse Git

torpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to all

Best of luck!

Hope it all goes well for you
Old Nov 29th 2004, 5:51 pm
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Heading down to London for DCF interview

Hope it all went ok!!!

Ant
Old Nov 29th 2004, 6:06 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IanandHolly

Holly
We'll be eager to read your good news!
Old Dec 4th 2004, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

IanandHolly is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Heading down to London for DCF interview

Well everyone Ian got his visa!!!! We're flying out w/the dog on December 7th and we are soo not packed or prepared in the slightest.

As for the interview we got up at 5:30 to start getting ready. We ended up taking the tube, fcentral line,from Queensway to Marble Arch then we walked it down the rest of the way. We arrived at the embassy at a quarter to 7 and since we were so early we went to starbucks which is just around the corner and a block or so towards Oxford street. Had their brekkie sarnie beans, sausage and egg... (Not great at all so don't get them) and 2 coffees. We took them to Grosvenor square and sat enjoying the time before the stress... (Or at least what we anticipated as stress)

At about 7:30 we went over by the queue which was around the corner by this time. As there was no other line yet hubby insisted on standing in the big queue so as to not start a riot, though I wanted to go stand by the front. We waited there until a guard came out to quickly walk down the queue telling people w/appointments to go stand in a little line along the wall and in front of the entrance.

So we all waited there, about 12 or so of us, until just after 8 when the guard checked our letters and passports and then told us to go to the little entrance room where they did the security screening. Bag on conveyor belt, pocket change and such in tray, walk through metal detectors.

From there we walked half way around to the opposite side of the building where we showed the guard our letter and gave him our camera. He gave us a little number on a clip to use as a token to get the camera back when we were finished. Then up the stairs we went pushed the touch screen for immigrant visa, got our ticket showing #003 and went to the desk to pay for our courier which we had sent to our hotel.

Simple enough so far... we sat down in one of the 100s of chairs and watched the screens for about 15 minutes until our number came up.

We went to the cubicle and we and a very happy asian lady go through our paperwork and documents. She did not ask for anything in order so it was a bit haphazard. Our photograph was not quite centered in the frame correctly. We used the photographer that was listed on the sheet, on oxford street(can't immediately recall the name) anyway when we had the photos done we called them on the fact that they seemed low but they got touchy and said that they WERE to the US specifications. So we took it for granted that they were fine.

In the end the nice lady called the people up and told them that they were in fact NOT FINE and that they needed to start doing them correctly, ie. centered properly. She told us ours were fine, that it just makes it difficult for them to use the image as it can distort the forehead. I really think she could have been mean and told us they were totally unacceptable so we lucked out on that.

As part of our i-864 we brought along paperwork regarding the purchase of our house showing that we did not have a mortgage or any liens upon it and that surprisingly made up for the fact that I've made next to nothing for the previous 3 years. I didn't need to use our joint sponsor so that worked out well.

After she preliminarily check all of our documents and took everything she told us to go to window 12 to pay the fee. After paying you go back to the DMV like room and sit and wait for your number to be called again for you main interview. Again about 15 minutes later we were called to go to window 13 where Ian signed his DS-230 part 2 and I signed the I-864 (We did not have to pay any fee for this) The lady asked us a couple of questions, what will you do for work and to support yourselves, where will you live, has ian been there before...

She then told us were were approved. That was it. No smile no congratulations nothing. But we were over the moon nonetheless.

We immediately left, got our camera, and started the walk to the Dr's office. We arrived at the Drs office at about 9:00. Ian put all of his stuff into a red folder; a copy of passport, immunization records, questionaire and picture. A few minutes later he was called out to pay for the appointment, sign some forms, sign the picture. They then put it all into a green folder which he took downstair, put into a perspex folder holder hanging on the wall. Then we waited. I was upstairs he was down. As the first group had not yet finished it took them a while to get around to the afternoon group...

*Sorry to stop here, I'll finish it up later as we have to take the dog to the groomers*